Harman Kardon Amps vs. Yamaha?

1db

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Is there anyone that might be able to provide some input please?

I have been leaning towards the Yamaha 2400, but have read about the DPL IIx coming out soon, so I decided to wait. &nbsp;Since then, I happened to see a HK AVR-7200 for around $1300, and holy smokes, it was huge, heavy, AND it sounded great too!! ;&gt;)

Does anyone have any input as to how good HK is... in terms of quality, both sound and construction? &nbsp;Also, how do the features compare between the two? &nbsp;If you were going to purchase one or the other, what would you pick?

By the way, I just found this website a few days ago, and I'm digging it! &nbsp;Lots of useful info and knowledgable folks!

Regards,
Don</font>

<font color='#000080'>Lots to consider. From what I hear, HK makes some decent amps, though we haven't had any review models in here lately.

If you like DSP, you'll lean towards the Yamaha, whose 70mm modes can't be beat. I for one am a fan of Yamaha's effects channels, which I believe no one else utilizes in the industry.

Right now I'm listening to an Integra (high-end Onkyo) system which is turning out to be an excellent performer.

Lots of choices. You appear to be in the &lt;$1000 budget which has a large playing field of contenders.</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>Lots to consider. From what I hear, HK makes some decent amps, though we haven't had any review models in here lately.

If you like DSP, you'll lean towards the Yamaha, whose 70mm modes can't be beat. I for one am a fan of Yamaha's effects channels, which I believe no one else utilizes in the industry.

Right now I'm listening to an Integra (high-end Onkyo) system which is turning out to be an excellent performer.

Lots of choices. You appear to be in the &lt;$1000 budget which has a large playing field of contenders.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Hawke!

Yeh, I'm trying to stay within a budget (of sorts!). &nbsp;I'm leaning towards the Yamaha, but wanted to wait for that DLP IIx mod... I have a feeling I could be waiting a while! &nbsp;

I just refinished a room and wired it for 7.1. &nbsp;My plans are to buy a Sony 40 &quot; LCD TV, a good amp, a line conditioner (Monster), and then the progressive DVD. &nbsp;I am using Klipsch KG 5.5 for the mains, a Klipsch KV-3 for the centers (both sets are around 10 years old, but still sound great), just bought a pair of Klipsch SS-1's for the mid-rears (proper terminology?), and using Cambridge Soundworks for the rears (came with the house). &nbsp;

Anyway, I firmly believe the heart of the system is the amp, and I want to make sure I get something that would work well in any application. &nbsp;

Are you guys planning on reviewing the HK products at all? &nbsp;The amp sounded great, but then I played an Onkyo, and the sound from the rears sounded awesome. &nbsp;Man, that's all I need is another choice!! &nbsp;How is the reliability of Yamaha amps? &nbsp;Are any of the aforementioned ones any better (or worse?)?

Regards,
1db</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>1db,

I own the RX-V1300, and believe me , ProLogic II is lousy compared to DTS NEO:6, I can't even listen to PL II, I seriously would not make a decision based on a algorithm that was not developed to set standards, but to be a quick inexpensive competition for the NEO6 which came first.

As a matter of fact my best friend is only setup for two channels with his 1300 and couldn't stand PL II in two channels!

Bob</font>

<font color='#000080'>I would think PLII would be useless in 2-channel as it collapses the sound stage with no rear speakers to compensate for the effect.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I have a Citation 5.1 4 ch. amplifier that was manufactured by H/K. Excellent sound &amp; solid build quality.

Note: It is for sale, due to a recent upgrade.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Myself, I have never liked PLII either.

On my older Yamaha receiver, I purely used the NEO:6 mode and now on this newer NAD, I use their proprietary EARS mode.

I've always found PL-II not as revealing.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Just to update you on the DPL IIx. &nbsp;I just exchanged my 29 day old 2400 for a new 2400 with DPL IIx at ABT Electronics in Chicago. &nbsp;If you are shopping at a store, ask them if they have any 2400's in stock with a DPL IIx sticker on one top right corner of the box sides.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis