Harman Kardon 1650 How does adding sub effect OSD bass/treble adjustment?

D

Dasunddas

Enthusiast
It has a dedicated line for a sub, but I began wondering if the bass/treble adjustment -10/+10 would still apply to my two F-10 mains. Otherwise I'd be stuck w/treble adjustment on the main two-way speakers w/woofer not adjustable which doesn't make any sense.

Thanks

If I cross a sub at 80-110 I'm wondering if the bass adjustment on OSD for the AVR mains is anything under a tweeter frequency. I'm unsure of the parameters for bass/treble.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally, if you setup and calibrate the system using the auto-calibration you should not need to touch the tone controls. The tone controls will apply to the sub when using a crossover in conjunction with the sub.

D

Dasunddas

Enthusiast
Thanks that makes sense. Right now I've used the OSD manual feet measurement for the stereo set-up then dialing in the bass/treble to what sounded best. Fairly simple for me w/two-way speakers and two controls.

So, the OSD menu should have a sub screen allowing me to adjust the sub tone within the crossover range and then when I pull up the main speakers I'm still adjusting the tone on the same two woofer/tweeter as before. Except now w/sub the two main woofers are only being sent frequencies above the sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Tone controls should affect the total range, not an individual speaker. It sounds like you are talking about making adjustments to individual speakers, which would be the EQ function, something the auto calibration will do for you. If you haven't, run the calibration first and see how you like it and leave it like that for a few days to get a feel for how "calibrated" sounds. Then tweak from there to your taste.

D

Dasunddas

Enthusiast
Just trying to familiar myself a mite before I snag a sub. I thought more/less treble wouldn't effect the sub and m/l bass wouldn't have an effect on the tweeter. Due to ignorance I figured bass & treble adjustments were separated by a middle of the road frequency around 2800 Hz. Yet, I understand now you're saying either tone adjustment effects the entire range of sound and all speakers components simultaneously. I suppose adding treble I noticed the tweeter and adding bass noticed the bass w/o giving much consideration to the big picture.

Thanks again for sharing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No, you are correct there, the range of each should not alter speakers that are not playing the affected frequencies. But the bass control will affect both the main speaker and the sub whether you have it set to "both" for bass or with it sending the LFE portion to the sub, within the range of frequencies it modifies. So it will depend on the frequencies affected by the control, but I presume it will be higher (30-80Hz range?) so it will slightly affect a speaker even if it is crossed at 100hz, and it will affect all speakers, not just the sub. I am also saying that modern auto-EQs are pretty good and tone controls essentially are a last resort and likely also means there is a deficiency somewhere else in the basics of the system.

D

Dasunddas

Enthusiast
Gotcha. My dilemma as such is that most of what I play wasn't recorded as a CD originally. Some remasters better than others and some are straight recordings off a LP/EP or 78. The quality varies. A bit as listening to classical music on FM I have to drop some bass and add treble. The sound reminds me of older units that had a boost button for listening at lower volumes. I'm laying most the blame on the bass and midrange sharing the same speaker in the two-way configuration. No biggie though I hope to remedy that w/sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis