Hafler DH-500 - Good Amp?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I found a used Hafler DH-500 used on Craigslist looks to be in near mint condition....Any idea on if it is a solid amp? Specs look very good.

I think I can get it for about $375.00

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hafler amps were said to be very good. I've never seen the DH-500, but it's a real hoss.

Those amps were sold both as kits and factory assembled. See if you can find out how that amp was assembled. The fact that it's still around suggests it's OK.

375 seems like a good price, about 75¢ per watt.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Hafler amps are a classic, well designed amplifier . If that is what you are looking for then that's fine . However it is also pretty old .
I guess what I am saying is if you are looking for a reliable amp, I'm not sure being a Hafler compensates for decades of age!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The Hafler amps are a classic, well designed amplifier . If that is what you are looking for then that's fine . However it is also pretty old .
I guess what I am saying is if you are looking for a reliable amp, I'm not sure being a Hafler compensates for decades of age!
I don't have experience with Hafler, but don't discount it because of age. I have a couple of Quad 303 amps that are now passed 40 years old and I have never had the cases off. So if it is a good design with good components it might well go for years, and quite likely a lot longer than a lot made in China last week.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As TLS mentioned, the key is "if it is a good design with good components.....". Otherwise in theory as electronic components such as transistors and capacitors age, the amplifier cannot maintain it's original specs. Some parameters will be affected more while some will be more immune. I have crudely measured a 35 years old preamp with the REW software and found that while it still sounds very nice but has major loss in bandwidth. I suspect power amps are more immune to aging effects.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Sounds like it is a bit of a crap shoot....I really don't need it so I might pass. Thanks for the feedback.

Saturn94

Saturn94

Enthusiast
I owned a pair of DH200 amps and enjoyed them for over 30 years before replacing them. They were still working fine when I sold them. Great amps IMO. :)

T

Tony Dunlap

Audiophyte
I have owned my Hafler DH-500 for over 36 years. When I got it, it was tested @ 505w into 4 ohms. My only ever problems were once the heat sink got dirty and the amp keep going into thermal overload. Once cleaned, it operated perfect. My other problem was the power switch went bad so I replaced it. Once this amp has warmed up, it sounds today as good as it did back in March 0f 1984 when it was new. I wish I had two of them! Then I'd get two Mono Kits.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm always finding speakers on Craigslist but I'm hesitant to buy electronics like amplifiers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm always finding speakers on Craigslist but I'm hesitant to buy electronics like amplifiers.
Especially if it was one of the Hafler kits, that would give me pause right there :)

T

Tony Dunlap

Audiophyte
A Kit is only good if it was later inspected by Hafler for proper Assembly. Mine was not a Kit. It came assembled and tested.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A Kit is only good if it was later inspected by Hafler for proper Assembly. Mine was not a Kit. It came assembled and tested.
Did Hafler offer that service? I bought a pre-amp kit that a roommate put together (he worked on mainframe hardware and said he wanted to and after I looked at the kit I said go right ahead :) ). We were somewhat surprised it worked (which it did for several years of heavy use).

G

gpatino

Audiophyte
is the combination of the mission 780 Argonaut mkI and a hafler dh-500 a good combination or is this a bad idea i don't want the risk of burning the speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your best way of not damaging speakers is judicious use of the volume control, if you put your mind to it you can damage speakers in a variety of ways. The speakers and amp combo in and of itself is fine....
is the combination of the mission 780 Argonaut mkI and a hafler dh-500 a good combination or is this a bad idea i don't want the risk of burning the speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis