Had To Open Up A Speaker...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have a pair of Energy RC10's that I've been saving for my daughter for when she finally gets a place of her own. For now, I've been storing them in the laundry room.
20240907_182406.jpg

My wife was cleaning the room yesterday and took them off the shelf. One of them made a rattling sound. :oops:

This morning, I opened it up to see what the problem was.

20240907_182421.jpg

This is what I found.

20240907_182446.jpg
20240907_182500.jpg

We had a mouse incursion last winter and I trapped 5 or 6, after which, there was no sign of any more. They apparently started a larder before their demise, which we have only just discovered.

I gave the speaker's innards a good inspection and it doesn't look like they chewed any of the wires, which is a relief.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Wow that’s something I’ve thought about with the ports in speakers But I was thinking spiders. Mice can get into just about anything.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I trapped 5 or 6
before their demise,
Were you trapping them or killing them? Trap and then kill? Trap that kills? Catch and release?

Do I need to call Green Peace?

They had mice here before yours truly hit the scene. I plugged up some holes with stainless steel scrubby thingies and laid out some bait. I ain't seen one yet. Knock wood for this winter.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Were you trapping them or killing them? Trap and then kill? Trap that kills? Catch and release?
Yes.
Do I need to call Green Peace?
Your call. *Shrugs*

They had mice here before yours truly hit the scene. I plugged up some holes with stainless steel scrubby thingies and laid out some bait. I ain't seen one yet. Knock wood for this winter.
I've searched for any possible points of entry. We have a brick house on a concrete block foundation, which has a parging coat that has been painted. I can't believe they could climb 3-4 feet of smooth wall to reach the weep holes at the base of the brick walls. Regardless, I think I'll stuff those weep holes with steel wool, as you mentioned.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I've searched for any possible points of entry. We have a brick house on a concrete block foundation, which has a parging coat that has been painted. I can't believe they could climb 3-4 feet of smooth wall to reach the weep holes at the base of the brick walls. Regardless, I think I'll stuff those weep holes with steel wool, as you mentioned.
Smooth concrete to us is like a rock climbing wall, to a mouse. I have seen them climb surfaces that seemed smooth, but they have little, pointy claws and since they don't weigh much, they don't fall off. I have a 2nd floor porch and am planning to replace some weatherstripping because I noticed a small gap when a beetle entered. Then, there's the fact that they can jump.....they can squash themselves through a 1/4" thick gap, which is about the smaller dimension of the weep holes.

So, no nesting material?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Smooth concrete to us is like a rock climbing wall, to a mouse. I have seen them climb surfaces that seemed smooth, but they have little, pointy claws and since they don't weigh much, they don't fall off. I have a 2nd floor porch and am planning to replace some weatherstripping because I noticed a small gap when a beetle entered. Then, there's the fact that they can jump.....they can squash themselves through a 1/4" thick gap, which is about the smaller dimension of the weep holes.

So, no nesting material?
There was no nesting material in the speaker and I haven't found any elsewhere. But, for the minimal effort required, I'll go ahead and stuff those weep holes.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There was no nesting material in the speaker and I haven't found any elsewhere. But, for the minimal effort required, I'll go ahead and stuff those weep holes.
I would look for gaps where the brick meets soffits, too- those are often large enough for insects and mice to fit through.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
This is why sealed enclosures are superior to ported! ;)

I sprayed foam along the bottom edge of our siding just to be sure and keep the critters out. Mice can climb just about anything. Going to set up one of those mouse trap buckets in the garage for the winter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis