H.T. room layout/speaker Question

J

Johnmalo

Enthusiast
I just framed in a room ( No drywall is up yet) that will be used for watching movies and shooting pool. The dimension is 28.5 ft long X 25.5 ft wide by 10 ft high. my screen size will be approx. 110 diag and attached to the 25.5 ft wall. The seating will be 12 ft from the front wall. The back half of the room will be used for a pool table. I like Audioholics $12k theater package that was suggested, but I was thinking of upgrading to the Mordaunt Short 500 series (THX). Now the question: because of the size of my room and the fact that I will be viewing movies from approx. mid point of my room, do you think I will need additional (back wall) speakers and what type, i.e. "direct radiating or dipole"? I unfortunately used 12awg from Carrol, with a strand count of 19. ( this cable's suggested use is for security and sound). They do sell a speaker cable, same size with 65 strand count. It will be real easy for me to remove old cable and replace with speaker cable if there is a noticeable difference in sound quality. I unfortunately bought cable prior to finding this site. When the room is done, you are all welcome for a game of pool, cold beer and a good movie. Thanks for the great site.
John from San Diego.

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
Speaker number and placement

Johnmalo said:
I just framed in a room ( No drywall is up yet) that will be used for watching movies and shooting pool. The dimension is 28.5 ft long X 25.5 ft wide by 10 ft high. my screen size will be approx. 110 diag and attached to the 25.5 ft wall. The seating will be 12 ft from the front wall. The back half of the room will be used for a pool table. I like Audioholics $12k theater package that was suggested, but I was thinking of upgrading to the Mordaunt Short 500 series (THX). Now the question: because of the size of my room and the fact that I will be viewing movies from approx. mid point of my room, do you think I will need additional (back wall) speakers and what type, i.e. "direct radiating or dipole"? I unfortunately used 12awg from Carrol, with a strand count of 19. ( this cable's suggested use is for security and sound). They do sell a speaker cable, same size with 65 strand count. It will be real easy for me to remove old cable and replace with speaker cable if there is a noticeable difference in sound quality. I unfortunately bought cable prior to finding this site. When the room is done, you are all welcome for a game of pool, cold beer and a good movie. Thanks for the great site.
John from San Diego.

Sent me a simple sketch of your room and I calculate on it with CARA if you like. Please indicate the listenig area as detailed as you want it to be.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis