Green Shift in older Projection Television

U

Unregistered

My Mom called me the other day and said that a friend of hers has an older front projection television (assuming CRT) for sale for $60. Her friend frequents estate sales and all other manners of bargain shopping.

It works perfectly except the screen is green tinted. This sounds like it needs tube adjustment or a replacement. Compared to what she has now, a green big screen would be a major improvement. Any ideas what a typical service trip costs or if it is possible for a laymen to make some adjustments? To me it almost seems worth $60 just to play around with it. She lives about 5 hours away so I doubt I will actually get to. Anyway, I thought if the repairs are minor that she might score a good deal.

Let me what you think.

Thanks,

Dan

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Dan,

There is a lot going on inside a front projection CRT and retubing a CRT is thousands of dollars.

The things to watch out for:
1. Bad power supply
2. Incompatibility with signal types you want to send to it.
3. Burn in on tubes (there are good articles on tube burn in online)
4. Size/How will you mount.
5. Brightness

Now, with that said, you still probably will be pretty happy for 60 bucks. Many projectors have setup menus and guides to walk you through setting things up. Those that don't will have dials that need to be adjusted. This can be a major pain, but if you spend some time working with them, you will be able to dial the green back and the red and blue up some. Then you will have to converge and all that other fun stuff.

If the projector was 500 bucks and you were clueless - I would advise against it... But for 60 bucks? Do it!

U

Unregistered

We agree

Thanks for the advice. I can't think of a better $60 tinker toy.

Just to be clear this is an older CRT front projection television. I am guessing the same principles would apply. Hopefully I will get to play with it on Thanksgiving weekend.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis