greatest av recievers of all time article, read it wondered about newer than 2004 models to consider ?

B

bluedoor

Enthusiast
Just wondered about models newer than the article ? I really like listening to music but dont want to give up any really significant modern advances. I now realize the older receivers had much better internal components capacitors power supply heat sinks etc. . I like the idea of getting high quality internal components for durability and sound quality over gimmicks. This av receiver would be an av receiver for tv movies ,music .I know decoders like dts etc. are important but I must admit i dont have a clue which formats are essential to have ? I would like to know how new should i go without sacrificing good old build quality. Maybe models 2006-2010 era. ? Some recevers that may be good Yamaha aventage line, sony str-da7es dd/dts etc. Saw the Denon 5805 of 2006 . Maybe people might have some newer suggestions without giving up the build quality of the older units too much ? I know that the models in the article may still stand as the best value but haven't been able to find these in my area. Any suggestions would be appreciated . Cheers

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You wont get newer lossless formats with old recievers or 4k compatability. They are also very old and can fail.
If you want really good 2 channel consider a midrange fairly new AVR with pre-outs for the left and right channels thats used for multichannel/movies connecting to a 2ch pre-amp with home theater bypass(several names for this) and a 2 ch power-amp. For music just use the 2ch bits ignoring the AVR.

B

bluedoor

Enthusiast
Thanks for input. I dont have a huge budget maybe under $1000 . Do you have any older units in mind that may work well together that i should consider ?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for input. I dont have a huge budget maybe under $1000 . Do you have any older units in mind that may work well together that i should consider ?
Is that budget just for a receiver? If so and you're in the US this Denon AVR-4400H at AC4L is a great receiver with a healthy power supply (140w x 2 ch driven). It may not be in the Era you're specifically looking for, but it's a damned fine receiver and I'd love to have one.

The thing about buying used electronics is you don't know how hard they've been pushed or if used for long periods of time. Speakers are okay used in my book but I shy away from those types of electronics. They generally have a shorter shelf life and are more prone to failure.

B

bluedoor

Enthusiast
Wish i could go $1000 us but im in Canada and was looking for a receiver and amp for Canadian dollars if i was to follow LEEMIX advice on midrange receiver and 2 channel pre amp with home theater bypass. Around $1000 can dollars for both roughly. Thanks for denon tip maybe still consider but pushes $1500 in Canada.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wish i could go $1000 us but im in Canada and was looking for a receiver and amp for Canadian dollars if i was to follow LEEMIX advice on midrange receiver and 2 channel pre amp with home theater bypass. Around $1000 can dollars for both roughly. Thanks for denon tip maybe still consider but pushes $1500 in Canada.
Keep an eye on this thread. We have some Canadians here who know all the good places to check. I'm not sure if AC4L is friendly for shipping to Canada, but that's where a few of us buy gear and have had great experiences. It's factory approved refurb, open box, etc. The things I've ordered showed up looking brand new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the content you wish to use. Older avrs don't have the newer codecs. If you don't need the newer codecs for your system, older avrs are fine. Same goes for related connectivity features. Choose an avr by the features you need for the most part for your own use (and anticipated future use). Older avrs are just older, not particularly better in all cases (but there are exceptions for some of the flagships you mention).

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
With a 1000cd budget its probably best to go for just a decent AVR at first at least, the option i mentioned will not be cheap if its to perform better than the money spent on one AVR.

Do you watch blu-rays or listen to high resolution music?

B

bluedoor

Enthusiast
Yes i like blue ray and have some flac files ,some vinyl. Would like sirius xm as well , i know the sound quality is not the best but great variety.on xm. I like the idea of a receiver with preouts like you suggest so will now definitely will be something i look for and build on at a later date.What reliable unit would you suggest ? I had a Harmon Kardon av2700 but something went wrong with it . The hk worked ok but was buggy and now i want a reliable unit. Figure i will probably go your way and get a good quality avr but so many features. I would rather have reliability and spend more on that than every latest feature crammed in than every conceivable codec. I have read the yamahas are very reliable (aventage line ). Any suggestions even units a couple years old or so .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes i like blue ray and have some flac files ,some vinyl. Would like sirius xm as well , i know the sound quality is not the best but great variety.on xm. I like the idea of a receiver with preouts like you suggest so will now definitely will be something i look for and build on at a later date.What reliable unit would you suggest ? I had a Harmon Kardon av2700 but something went wrong with it . The hk worked ok but was buggy and now i want a reliable unit. Figure i will probably go your way and get a good quality avr but so many features. I would rather have reliability and spend more on that than every latest feature crammed in than every conceivable codec. I have read the yamahas are very reliable (aventage line ). Any suggestions even units a couple years old or so .
Yamaha, Denon, Marantz are the usual big 3 I see recommended. Yamaha has probably the best reputation for reliability, but I've had all 3 at one point or another and haven't had problems with any of them. I prefer Denon/Marantz mid-upper tier receivers with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction and a full set of preouts. The preouts leave options open for adding a separate amp down the road, should you choose to do so.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
None of them are made to last forever anymore, guess they do that because its cheaper and with new things all the time it just makes sense. Both Yamaha and Denon lines with pre-out starts at a nice mid level which should work well for you. Im not very familiar with newer Yamaha so dont remember which has pre out, i think its the aventage line you mention, but the Denons start at the 3?00 line. Yamaha should fit you well as they are rumored to be a little more durable but i dont know for sure. You might need to find a good deal to be under your budget.

All of the mass market brands have basically the same features and there is no save money for fewer anymore on AVRs. Some boutique brands have less features but they are costly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B

bluedoor

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I know a bit more to shop right the first time. I hate buggy electronics ,love reliablity and build quality. Cheers

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Thanks for the info. I know a bit more to shop right the first time. I hate buggy electronics ,love reliablity and build quality. Cheers
They don't make stuff like they used to.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Is that budget just for a receiver? If so and you're in the US this Denon AVR-4400H at AC4L is a great receiver with a healthy power supply (140w x 2 ch driven). It may not be in the Era you're specifically looking for, but it's a damned fine receiver and I'd love to have one.

The thing about buying used electronics is you don't know how hard they've been pushed or if used for long periods of time. Speakers are okay used in my book but I shy away from those types of electronics. They generally have a shorter shelf life and are more prone to failure.
Is that a true 140 X2?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that a true 140 X2?
I looked to see if it was bench tested here and couldn't find anything, but I trust Denon's specs. The tests I have seen do confirm their published specs are accurate to even conservative on other models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Denon site for the 4400 indicates 105 wpc at 8 ohm (2ch 20hz-20khz .08%THD) and 125 wpc (2ch 20hz-20khz .05%THD).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good catch. From the looks of it I got my wires crossed with the 6400. Oops. o_O
If same amp section as I suspect the 4200 has, it still does a legitimate 140 wpc, tho :) Plus relatively impressive 4 ohm output...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis