Snap

Snap

Audioholic
not sure if they have or not, but I can say with out a doubt they are an awesome company. I have a bunch of them in my church. I have also had them put into home studios. I have not used them in HT application, but auralex is a top notch company for that kind of stuff.

I have used the hard pnl, and the soft foam pln as well. Very nice product.

What are you planning on doing with them? HT? If you talk to them, and tell them your budget and show them your room, they will tell you what pnl you need and were to place them!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
just HT. was wondering why a lot of people have their subs on top of this gramma thing.

they say it sounds better ... :confused:

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
I hope that it is not a down firing sub? that would suck!

Notice in the picture that they all have front fire speakers? Basically it helps isolate the speaker from what it is setting on. If you had a sub on hard wood floors, it would help the vibrations of the sub cabinate stay away from the floor that it is sitting on. It does help. I have seen Metal Stages that have some loose screws in them, and for some reason.....setting the sub on that stuff reduced the stage crud. still rattled some but not that much.

If you have carpet, and a crawl space I would not bother with it. Unless you just have the money and want to try it. If you speakers were all in nice cabinates on the wall. Putting that on the bottom of the cabinate would help. Or if you had a SLAB, or hardwood floors that would help.

But I am NO expert on the matter for sure. I have only used something like that 1 time. (Already mentioned it) the rest of the pan I used on side walls in churches.

Blessed,
Jim

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks snap.

downfiring, so whats the difference with having a downfiring sub on carpet?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mike c said:
thanks snap.

downfiring, so whats the difference with having a downfiring sub on carpet?
.....this one gets funnier every time I read it, and you'll notice Snap ain't said a word, haha....nothing wrong with a downfiring sub, Mike, as long as it's firing into it's own baseplate....not sure about cheaper ones that fire directly into carpet, or whatever's under the sub....better ones have their own baseplate....great response to Snap....dryyyyyyy......

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
this "cheap" JBL 150 of mine doesnt have a base plate. but my situation is reversed ... i HAD carpet before and now i dont. i noticed it is much louder now.

I would use that more in the studio if I were micing up a bunch of instruments using lots of amps/stacks. It would, for example, help keep the bass stacks from physically transferring energy (or literally rocking) the mics used to record other instruments. I believe this is the real intended use of a product like this (what they were going for).

It's so easy to confuse this with a snake oil product - but it's absolutely legit, especially in a studio recording environment.

Now, if you think that putting a solid state amplifier on it will make it sound better - you need to read more articles on this site. ;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Clint DeBoer said:
It's so easy to confuse this with a snake oil product - but it's absolutely legit, especially in a studio recording environment.
;)
thats why i posted this thread ... i was fishing for snake oil accusations :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis