R

RMK!

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Grado SR 325 headphones. I am also thinking of using the receiver (Denon 3805) headphone jack and not getting a separate headphone amp as the Grado's will not be used with a portable device. Comments?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
hidog1 said:
I'm thinking about getting a pair of Grado SR 325 headphones. I am also thinking of using the receiver (Denon 3805) headphone jack and not getting a separate headphone amp as the Grado's will not be used with a portable device. Comments?
The Grado SR325i is reported to have a less annoying high frequency range as compared to the original SR325 by many people. You might take that under consideration. As for headphone amplifiers, there is zero reason to use a dedicated amplifier with the Grado unit. It is efficient enough to be powered by virtually any device. The only issue that might arise is that some reciever headphone outputs may have a hiss/noise when used with very high efficiency headphones such as the Grados. But this will be known as soon as you plug your new headphones into the jack. :)

-Chris

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
hidog1 said:
As WmAx said, no need for a headpone amp. I have two, a waste of money. Grado phones have a very in your face sound. Not for everybody especially long listening sessions. However if you have had a good long listen to the SR 325 and like the sound then go for it. My personal favorite is the Senns HD580. Balanced smooth sound to my ears.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Have you tried Grados before? You'd better make sure that those Grados can fit your head. Grados are some of the most uncomfortable headphones ever made on the face of this planet.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
They are uncomfy at first, but the metal band used as the fit system will adjust over time.

My SR-125 set got so loose I have to tighten the headband now! They also changed the earpad design a while back, and they are more comfy IMO after that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis