Got my mini DSP today not sure what filter type to use....

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I would never run my mains full range. Always set them at 80Hz same as the center and surrounds

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The majority of the topics you are posting down here in DIY, are not really DIY topics. How to work consumer gear would be more suited to "Beginners and Audiophytes."

If you had built your mini DSP, that would be one thing. "Building & repairing pro/consumer audio, DIY tips & techniques, board modifications, and more!"
Nonsense. He's in the right subforum. Built your minidsp? Good grief.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Nonsense. He's in the right subforum. Built your minidsp? Good grief.
I didn't know he built a sub. I answered to that effect on the previous page. It seemed out of place. It really wasn't that big of a deal. Post away.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know he built a sub. I answered to that effect on the previous page. It seemed out of place. It really wasn't that big of a deal. Post away.
No worries. He didn't exactly build the sub otoh :) I just thought your reaction a bit overboard

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
No worries. He didn't exactly build the sub otoh :) I just thought your reaction a bit overboard
I didn't mean it to be overboard so I apologize if it seemed so. It's the text thing. I open DIY to look for new projects outside of the usual consumer gear and questions. I just thought he would get more answers to his questions up in the top. That's usually where I have seen people talking about mini DSP?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
A sealed enclosure with this sub will never have as powerful bass as my ported box with my 2500 watts!
Look at the response in a sealed enclosure with no eq boost. Very impressive, and note th he 130bd sweep produces unheard of thd numbers at 20hz. The driver will take a massive amount of power, so eqing isnt an issue.
https://data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=3&mset=35
I'm pretty sure someone has posted this for you before...

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Ski2xblack sorry I forgot your name. But excuse my manners I should have said hi. Yes you're right about me blowing my speakers if they were set to large! lol

EverettT if you looked at my numbers they blow away the sealed numbers you posted. I ran my sub in the box I have 7.3ft3 tuned at 20Hz and just modeled it. This is without room gain since I don't have a microphone. At 15Hz I had 111hz, at 20Hz I had 119hz and at 30Hz I had 121Hz. With room gain those numbers would be much higher. My ported box has far more output than that sealed model. I am running it with a 2500 watt Crown XLS 2500 amp.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ski2xblack sorry I forgot your name. But excuse my manners I should have said hi. Yes you're right about me blowing my speakers if they were set to large! lol

EverettT if you looked at my numbers they blow away the sealed numbers you posted. I ran my sub in the box I have 7.3ft3 tuned at 20Hz and just modeled it. This is without room gain since I don't have a microphone. At 15Hz I had 111hz, at 20Hz I had 119hz and at 30Hz I had 121Hz. With room gain those numbers would be much higher. My ported box has far more output than that sealed model. I am running it with a 2500 watt Crown XLS 2500 amp.
The numbers in databass have zero eq, albeit with a very stout powesoft amp. Add eq and room gain with a slightly larger amp than yours; your sub as built wouldn't blow it away. As for your numbers, untill you actually measure the sub in your room, we can't possibly know what's really going on.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I am not going to measure it in my room because the mic costs too much for me to justify a reading that is only to prove my box is superior to a sealed version. Ported is always louder than sealed with any subwoofer if the box is built right!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am not going to measure it in my room because the mic costs too much for me to justify a reading that is only to prove my box is superior to a sealed version. Ported is always louder than sealed with any subwoofer if the box is built right!
The measurements are not to prove your box is better but to show you what's going on in your room, which allows you to address any issues. The mic is $100, rew is free, and the info is priceless

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I don't believe in eq'ing a room. I think the room determines how the sound is going to be. I have a great room its a basement thats 23' x 12' x 8' and only 1 door going into a hallway

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I don't believe in eq'ing a room. I think the room determines how the sound is going to be. I have a great room its a basement thats 23' x 12' x 8' and only 1 door going into a hallway
Measurements are not only about determining the need for EQ. Understanding what your sub is doing in your room is important. Only trying to help you get the most out of your system, if your convinced that your all good, I'll leave at enjoy..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
TLS, I've been to Cameron's house, know his taste and preferred volume levels. If he runs his mains full range he'll likely destroy them. He should definitely use a hpf for them.
Good to know

highfigh

highfigh

Its Fs is 20Hz! And its super loud at 20hz with no subsonic filter! You're wrong its tuned fine at 20hz trust me come have a listen! I put it in a 4ft3 box sealed and produces much deeper and louder sound with my ported box. Don't be jealous that you cant find my subwoofer anywhere anymore. Best subwoofer in the world tuned @ 20hz with 2500 Crown amp watts powering it!
Fs is the resonant frequency, not the tuning frequency.

highfigh

highfigh

If you think that using a DSP to make the system perform a certain way isn't a form of equalization, you're wrong.

Equalizers were designed to cure problems that can't be dealt with in other ways. Whatever you listen to, unless it was recorded by you with no processing, HAS BEEN equalized. ANY live music event you go to, WILL BE equalized.

You say your room is great, but I see that the dimensions will cause problems. You WILL hear and see the effects of this in the area of 48Hz-52Hz. Also, unless that door seals the room and separates it from the hallway, the room WILL interact with the hallway.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
The door does seal the room. Would a movie be better with the door shut?

How would I go about using a mic? Do you set it a meter away from the sub to test SPL. And when testing in room frequencies do I set the mic at the same position I used my mic for my AVR? Which is my used seating position...

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
That's just crazy I don't want to go thru all that. My setup sounds great.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That's just crazy I don't want to go thru all that. My setup sounds great.
But does it? May sound awesome to you, but tweaked who knows. It's not hard at all to use rew software, easier than when I used it first about a decade ago. If you want the most out of a setup, reading is a requirement

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis