Google Takes on Paypal, Yeah!!!!!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Found this over in the Axiom forum. And I am all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA TODAY:

Report: Google preparing to challenge PayPal

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. (AP) — Online search-engine leader Google Inc. is preparing to introduce an electronic payment system later this year in a move that would pose a financial threat to one of its biggest advertisers, Internet auctioneer eBay Inc.
The Wall Street Journal reported Google's plans on its Web site late Friday, citing sources familiar with the Mountain View-based company's plans. The Journal did not provide any details about Google's strategy.

A Google spokesman declined to comment on the report.

The likelihood of Google rolling out an online payment system to rival eBay's popular PayPal service became a hot topic during an Internet conference hosted Thursday by Piper Jaffray.

"It could be a pretty big negative for eBay if it happens," said Piper Jaffray analyst Safa Rashtchy, who follows Google as well as the Web's leading auction site.

PayPal accounted for $233.1 million, or 23%, of eBay's revenue during the first quarter.

San Jose-based eBay bought PayPal for $1.3 billion in 2002. The payment service makes money by collecting a fee from the transactions that it helps complete. The electronic accounts are funded by credit cards or banking account transfers.

Expanding into online payments might make Google less dependent on advertising, which accounted for nearly all of its first-quarter revenue of $1.26 billion. The merchants who run auctions on eBay are major buyers of Google's ads, which appear alongside search results.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I love everything there is about GOOGLE and support everything they do. Awesome!

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I stopped using Google when I read they allow the government to monitor their searches. Also, when they started google mail weren't they selling their lists to spammers?

Besides, I've never had a problem with Paypal.

http://www.google-watch.org/

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Shadow_Ferret said:
I stopped using Google when I read they allow the government to monitor their searches. Also, when they started google mail weren't they selling their lists to spammers?

Besides, I've never had a problem with Paypal.

http://www.google-watch.org/
I've had a gmail account for almost a year now, and have yet to get one spam email, so I definately dont think they are selling their lists to spammers

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Oh, I misspoke. I believe the news said they were monitoring emails. It's been a long time since I both read the article and trusted Google.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I remember reading somewhere that Google uses some computer algorithm to search through uers' gmail accounts and use that info to target specific ads to a particular user's gmail account.

Whatever. It is my number one rule of thumb to never buy anything from any ad banner on the web.

Google is just evolving along the usual corporate path, it will eventually end up becoming a dinasour, at which point something better will have come along.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
furrycute said:
I remember reading somewhere that Google uses some computer algorithm to search through uers' gmail accounts and use that info to target specific ads to a particular user's gmail account.

W
Yeah depending on certain keywords in your email ads show up on the right side of the web page, I dont even notice them. And dont think that no other email client monitors your emails and searches for keywords b/c they all do, its how I think I ended up having to cancel my old hotmail account from highschool, was getting about 50-60 spam emails a day.

On another note if anyone wants to try out google's email acount let me know I think I have like 49 more invites left. I like it you can search through your old emails just like a search engine if you ever need to look something up because you start out with like a Gigabyte of space so you never have to delete anything, I've had it for almost a year and they have bumped it up to about 2.5 gigs now, so its great for file transfer if you dont have a disk handy. I have also NOT GOTTEN ANY SPAM IN ALMOST A YEAR, how many people can say that? They just put adds up on the side of the page that I dont even notice. Anyways, if youre interested send me a PM with your current email addy and I can send you an invite.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Google rules!!

I also love Google. Their Google Earth program is fun. Nothing like going from orbit to a couple thousand feet from the top of your house in a couple seconds!!

I've also never gotten any spam e-mails on my google account. Also, as was mentioned, the ad banners are on the side and you don't even notice them. They have a very handy email notifier program you can use with your account.

Ebay/Paypal definitely needs some competition!!

** I also have a ton (50) of accounts to give away, so if you want one send me a private message.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
alandamp said:
I also love Google. Their Google Earth program is fun. Nothing like going from orbit to a couple thousand feet from the top of your house in a couple seconds!!
Google Earth Program?

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Spiffyfast said:
that is frickin awesome, I just wonder how old the images are, I'm right above my house and we haven't had a red car in a few years
A lot of the images are definitely a bit old, but seeing the high rez satellite images is still sweet!!

That program gets addictive!! Very good for directions and finding different businesses and stuff. Keep playing with it Spiffyfast. It will keep you entertained for quite awhile.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
alandamp said:
A lot of the images are definitely a bit old, but seeing the high rez satellite images is still sweet!!

That program gets addictive!! Very good for directions and finding different businesses and stuff. Keep playing with it Spiffyfast. It will keep you entertained for quite awhile.
LOL yeah, Im at work so I think ill be messing with it quite a bit. I have noticed some areas have images that are alot higher res than others

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually like Paypal, but that's probably because I don't sell or buy anything on flea-bay. I've had my account since well before ebay bought them, and I haven't had any problems with them to complain about.

Google supporter here too, but I still use my yahoo mail because I've had it for so long, that it's like a part of me now. I prefer the functionality that g-mail offers. I have 50 invites left as well....

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
It varies

Google Earth is awesome. They use an incredible number of different resources to compile the best sat image/aerial photo resource I know of. The 3D stuff is really cool too. Where aerial topography is available, they'll actually portray "view" images with their proper vertical scale. The fact that they've assembled so many worldwide resources is simply amazing.

The quality varies a lot. For instance, in Seattle where I live, the images are quite new and in color. The resolution is great. But, fly on over to London and the photos are obviously older and of less quality. Still very, very cool.

Their new motto could be "Google. . .shrinking the world, one step at a time".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis