Goofy keyboard question

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I cant use my apostrophe anymore. It shows up as an è or an È. How do I get this key back to showing an apostrophe

Wow, I cant use my question mark anymore either. It also shows up as an É.

Im sure its simple, but I dont know the answer.

Senior Audioholic
Someplace your keyboard type got changed and it thinks you have a European keyboard or something like that.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Sure, but how do I fix it. I dont know how it got changed in the first place, but its frustrating for a spelling and grammar freak like me.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Keyboard language

It's in the control panel. You should check the list and remove the ones you don't use. Or maybe there is a small icon near the clock that has 2 letters in in. FR for french or EN for english. That's how it works for me at work. And that is if you have 2 or more languages installed.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Oddly enough, everything's working fine now and I didn't change a thing. Weird, huh?

So now that that's settled, should I bi-wire or be-amp?:D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Oddly enough, everything's working fine now and I didn't change a thing. Weird, huh?

So now that that's settled, should I bi-wire or be-amp?:D
You must have that virus in your computer that most people have. It's called "Windows".

And don't bother bi-wiring.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
There is a very nice feature in Windows.... Well actually there are quite a few (bad ones)

If you go into the language section of the control panel you should make certain that you only have english language and the actual keyboard that you're using. Remove any other language/keyboard settings.

The thing is that there is some kind of weird shortcut to switch keyboard setup in windows, and this is enabled by default, Nice :eek: This thing is so crappy in Windows that it's just unbelievable......

Wonder why I'm running Linux :D

I can't provide you all the details on this Dave (because I have Linux here now, try it!!!), but if you like I could dig into this deep and show you exactly what to do..... to make sure that this doesn't happen again.....
(I'm an MCSE certified Microsoft engineer)

If I should provide you assistance I would need to know exactly which windows version you are using.....
You can find out by choosing run, and the command: winver

Last edited:
mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
There is a very nice feature in Windows.... Well actually there are quite a few (bad ones)

If you go into the language section of the control panel you should make certain that you only have english language and the actual keyboard that you're using. Remove any other language/keyboard settings.

The thing is that there is some kind of weird shortcut to switch keyboard setup in windows, and this is enabled by default, Nice :eek: This thing is so crappy in Windows that it's just unbelievable......

Wonder why I'm running Linux :D

I can't provide you all the details on this Dave (because I have Linux here now, try it!!!), but if you like I could dig into this deep and show you exactly what to do..... to make sure that this doesn't happen again.....
(I'm an MCSE certified Microsoft engineer)

If I should provide you assistance I would need to know exactly which windows version you are using.....
You can find out by choosing run, and the command: winver
I would be running lunix too if I was sure that it could run all the apps that I need when I need them.

Winamp?
Zip/Rar files?
Messenger?

I know there are alternatives but there is too much inconvenience. Linux is not the problem itself. It's the fact that it's not used by enough users.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I would be running lunix too if I was sure that it could run all the apps that I need when I need them.

Winamp?
Zip/Rar files?
Messenger?

I know there are alternatives but there is too much inconvenience. Linux is not the problem itself. It's the fact that it's not used by enough users.
- I really like Winamp myself, but on linux you have amarok, which works beautifully, now I use amarok, and don't really miss winamp (well slightly)

- You can run most windows programs under the support of wine, which provides windows compatibility for Linux, could probably run winamp using wine, I can try it out and post back on this forum how it works.....

- Messenger, you have gaim that supports all major protocols, I'm using that instead of messenger. Dosen't have all the functionality of messenger so if you want to kiss somebody you can't do that with gaim yet.....

There's a whole community out there and probably easier to get help than if you have a Windows problem.

There is of course a threshold to get over, but there's one way to go.... Try it out! do you have an old machine that you can just try things on?

I installed Suse Enterprise Desktop Linux on my Dell Laptop from my employer, works beautifully....
Linux is widely used now and I don't think there's an issue about how many users are really using it.... There are still some issues with drivers and trouble with wireless.... But improving constantly I think....

You know there's a company in Norway, called "Linpro" where nobody is allowed to use anything but Linux and Open source software on their computers. The thing is, they manage to get everything working efficiently!!!!, and it all works very well and they're not paying Mr Gates a dime....

Last edited:
mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
How do I know which version of Linux is for me?

Is wine a command you run on the side? Does it take your GUI away? How does it work?

I have an old machine. I would like to try it. I do feel that my XP machine is fast and reliable enough though.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Keyboard language

It's in the control panel. You should check the list and remove the ones you don't use. Or maybe there is a small icon near the clock that has 2 letters in in. FR for french or EN for english. That's how it works for me at work. And that is if you have 2 or more languages installed.
ALT + SHIFT will switch between the input languages.

As for Linux on the desktop; well, as far as I'm concerned for most things Linux and the available window managers have some way to go to be as usable and useful as Windows, it's a pity but true. Linux on the server side is a different story though.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
How do I know which version of Linux is for me?
Tough one, depends.... if you look at it there's only one linux, there's on linux kernel and that's it there are no different versions of linux.

What you have is a whole bunch of different distributions that all use the same linux kernel. The different distributions are different in many ways, and there's no simple answer to that. Many people like to use Ubuntu, because it works very well and is well developed and easy to use.
My impression is that compared to windows then the advantage with Linux is increasing proportionally with the age of the PC. That doesn't of course mean that Linux runs faster on an old machine but try Linux on an old machine that is too slow for windows, My bet Linux would be running beautifully.
I installed Ubuntu on a very old outdated dell workstations, and it all works very fine indeed :)
But there is a risk to this, you need to get backups, and you may possible need to have some skilled people helping you if you don't know much about Linux.

But that's what you have your Audioholics fella's for :))

Is wine a command you run on the side? Does it take your GUI away? How does it work?
You don't see wine at all, it's just something that sits there and when you start a program it "believes" it runs under windows. You can for instance install the windows version of firefox on linux, you may want to do that if you need to run firefox with plugins that's not available for the linux version of firefox. I have tried that and it works. Basically wine provides all the windows support you need on linux in order to run windows programs, ON LINUX.

I have an old machine. I would like to try it. I do feel that my XP machine is fast and reliable enough though.
You can also dual boot so that you can choose to run Windows XP or Linux....... After a while with that my bet is that you'll forget about XP.... I never liked XP anyways.....

Of course I, and many many others, could provide you advice along the way....

Think about it.....

:))

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
As for Linux on the desktop; well, as far as I'm concerned for most things Linux and the available window managers have some way to go to be as usable and useful as Windows, it's a pity but true. Linux on the server side is a different story though.
Why's that?
mention one thing that's missing on the window manager in, say Suse Linux?
(Open Suse or Suse Enterprise)

A very big difference is that the window manager in Linux runs in user mode while in windows it runs in kernel mode
What does that imply?

- If there's a trouble with the windows manager in Linux, you can just restart it, it will never ever cause issues with the OS
- If there's a trouble with the windows manager in windows it will crash the operating system and you will get a Blue Screen Of Death
Big difference.... To me this is important !!

Last edited:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Under the "Tools" tab on your IE brower ...

I cant use my apostrophe anymore. It shows up as an è or an È. How do I get this key back to showing an apostrophe

Wow, I cant use my question mark anymore either. It also shows up as an É.

Im sure its simple, but I dont know the answer.
select "Internet Options"

Toward the bottom select the "Fonts" button. "Arial" is a good font.

Then press "okay" button.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Why's that?
mention one thing that's missing on the window manager in, say Suse Linux?
(Open Suse or Suse Enterprise)

A very big difference is that the window manager in Linux runs in user mode while in windows it runs in kernel mode
What does that imply?

- If there's a trouble with the windows manager in Linux, you can just restart it, it will never ever cause issues with the OS
- If there's a trouble with the windows manager in windows it will crash the operating system and you will get a Blue Screen Of Death
Big difference.... To me this is important !!
Yes, all very cool and old news. But really, irrelevant when it comes to usability and please don't tell me Linux in any form is as easy for the average user as Windows. Also, the last time I played with Linux on the desktop the fonts were an issue; basically, everything looks like crap. Then there's the ridiculous number of distributions these days, half of which don't understand the packaging standards of the rest. Oh and don't talk about all the nice free apps that also need a certain version of lib xyz which requires php version abc, and oh bugger, that conflicts with the other version which I need for another application. Sheesh. Really, how can you possibly think people want to fight with crap like that when all they want is a desktop that works.

And FWIW, I've been working with one flavour or another of Unix since 92, my first Linux was Slackware back in 93 or 94 and I'm a RHCE (a little dated I'll admit as I took that cert back in 2003 I think).

Of course, on a server where you don't even bother running X and you'll probably be running just a database or maybe a webserver and jboss etc these "usability" issues become less important and stability issues take priority which of course Linux wins out over Windows generally.

As for Wine. I've never used it and the concept is interesting (although I lost most of my interest many years ago when nothing appeared and it seemed it would be vapourware forever). If I really wanted to mix OSes on the same machine (and I do) I would (and do) run VMWare which really is incredibly stable.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, all very cool and old news. But really, irrelevant when it comes to usability and please don't tell me Linux in any form is as easy for the average user as Windows. Also, the last time I played with Linux on the desktop the fonts were an issue; basically, everything looks like crap. Then there's the ridiculous number of distributions these days, half of which don't understand the packaging standards of the rest. Oh and don't talk about all the nice free apps that also need a certain version of lib xyz which requires php version abc, and oh bugger, that conflicts with the other version which I need for another application. Sheesh. Really, how can you possibly think people want to fight with crap like that when all they want is a desktop that works.

And FWIW, I've been working with one flavour or another of Unix since 92, my first Linux was Slackware back in 93 or 94 and I'm a RHCE (a little dated I'll admit as I took that cert back in 2003 I think).

Of course, on a server where you don't even bother running X and you'll probably be running just a database or maybe a webserver and jboss etc these "usability" issues become less important and stability issues take priority which of course Linux wins out over Windows generally.

As for Wine. I've never used it and the concept is interesting (although I lost most of my interest many years ago when nothing appeared and it seemed it would be vapourware forever). If I really wanted to mix OSes on the same machine (and I do) I would (and do) run VMWare which really is incredibly stable.
Yeah, very interesting to hear about all of this:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I have been running windows server for a lifetime and I make my living and my paycheck depends on windows....

Still you refrain from answering my question:
Mention one thing that's missing on the window manager in, say Suse Linux?

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
Yeah, very interesting to hear about all of this:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I have been running windows server for a lifetime and I make my living and my paycheck depends on windows....

Still you refrain from answering my question:
Mention one thing that's missing on the window manager in, say Suse Linux?
Which one?

Let me turn this around; are you telling me that these interfaces are now so developed that an average user would never have to resort to an xterm and the command line to get something done? If so, then I will concede the argument.

PS. RedHat kicks Suse’s butt. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis