Good upgrade from VSX-54TX

S

sjoshice

Audiophyte
I am planning an upgrade from Pioneer 54TX which has served well for me. I am thinking of either VSX-LX 304, SC-LX704 or Marantz 6015. I have 5.1 setup with Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers and SVS sub woofer. I have used Pioneer all my life and like it however given that Pioneer is discontinued / merged with Onkyo, I am on fence.
Can you please share your experiences.
Is SC-LX704 better than VSX series , is the CLass-D amplifier make noticeable difference ? (I am getting 304 for 400$ from a friend)
is Marantz noticeably better than Pioneer ?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Getting a new AVR with "More" or "better" watts won't do much difference in sound quality until your current AVR is undersized. What will is room calibration and support for the newest tech, like 4K, Dolby Atmos, HDMI with ARC etc...
My own Onkyo isn't much newer than your Pio, but in no rush to upgrade it unless it breaks (again).
I guess I won't have much choice after I upgrade my old 55" FHD plasma TV.

Getting VSX-LX304 at 1/2 price isn't a bad deal, but the MCACC auto room calibration system doesn't seem to be doing as well other ones:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am planning an upgrade from Pioneer 54TX which has served well for me. I am thinking of either VSX-LX 304, SC-LX704 or Marantz 6015. I have 5.1 setup with Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers and SVS sub woofer. I have used Pioneer all my life and like it however given that Pioneer is discontinued / merged with Onkyo, I am on fence.
Can you please share your experiences.
Is SC-LX704 better than VSX series , is the CLass-D amplifier make noticeable difference ? (I am getting 304 for 400$ from a friend)
is Marantz noticeably better than Pioneer ?
Ive been a fan of Pioneer consumer electronics forever. There AVRs were geared for CI and had tremendous power per model, great features, and discreet codes for every function, making universal remotes function flawlessly. Now, I couldn't and wouldn't recommend them any longer. My last "7" series was a massive disappointment on many levels, but it came down to firmware and failures with different revisions, under current management. If it were me, I'd choose another product.

S

sjoshice

Audiophyte
Ive been a fan of Pioneer consumer electronics forever. There AVRs were geared for CI and had tremendous power per model, great features, and discreet codes for every function, making universal remotes function flawlessly. Now, I couldn't and wouldn't recommend them any longer. My last "7" series was a massive disappointment on many levels, but it came down to firmware and failures with different revisions, under current management. If it were me, I'd choose another product.
Got it thank you. Yes, i have read issues with firmware updates and such. Given that Pioneer as brand is discontinued and merged with Onkyo I dont expect these to get any better.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My VSX-82TX has seen daily use for at least 16 years now, in my main LR setup for 12 years, and in a bedroom setup for the last 4 years. It's a beast and has been rock solid reliable.

BUT....when it was time for a new unit for the LR, I went with Denon. Today for an AVR, I would ONLY be considering Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha.

S

sjoshice

Audiophyte
BUT....when it was time for a new unit for the LR, I went with Denon. Today for an AVR, I would ONLY be considering Denon, Marantz, or Yamaha.
I agree but VSX-LX305 , LX505 with Dirac or VSX-LX304, LX704 for class D amps are tempting

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis