Good Speakers for Dialogue

D

dragonwhipstail

Enthusiast
Can anyone point me to speakers that have good sound for dialogue. I have a Harman Kardon receiver and a Onkyo THX receiver to match the speakers up with. Both receivers are good but the HK has the edge for highs and dialogue. I'm currently using the Energy A2+2 for fronts, and the Energy RVS center speaker. Great speakers but need better clarity in dialogue. Thanks

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Budget?

It is also typically recommended to match your three front speakers in a HT environment if possible

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What are you looking to spend, I find bookshelfs to have better definition and separation. There are a lot of things that will do much better than you energy towers, but for the money I think your best off with an Ascend Sierra 1 front trio {no tweeter upgrade, just as they come} Sierra-1 Bamboo Loudspeaker the set of 3 will cost you around $1300 in a natural finish..

PS, There are things you can try to get your speakers to sound better, placement, crossing them a little higher, room treatments, ect... But with that pair of towers, I would e looking to start with something better too...

If the sierras are out of budget there are other options, but I would definitely look into bookshelfs, Wharfedale Diamond 10 sereis bookshelfs are also very nice and can be found for good prices, they have an array of centers to choose from too..

R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
I would suggest looking for speakers that are quite efficient. Above 92dB if possible as you are using AVR's and the less stressed they are the better they tend to sound.
Not sure if your AVR's may have preouts then maybe look to adding a poweramp.
Emotiva is one that makes great poweramps with out being to expensive.

I was thinking something along the line as these speakers. I have never heard them myself, just read some interesting posts on the forums about them.
http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142&vmcchk=1&Itemid=142

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For dialogue, start with the center and work your way to the mains. Another aspect of dialogue clarity can be as simple as properly placing the center and mains and/or doing a calibration.

I would suggest looking for speakers that are quite efficient. Above 92dB if possible as you are using AVR's and the less stressed they are the better they tend to sound. Not sure if your AVR's may have preouts then maybe look to adding a poweramp. Emotiva is one that makes great poweramps with out being to expensive.
How are you recommending amplification before the OP has even chosen speakers?

R

rocky500

Junior Audioholic
How are you recommending amplification before the OP has even chosen speakers?
Sorry about that, I should have worded it a bit better.

The SHO-10 High Efficiency Monitor's might be a good speaker to do some research on. There seems to be a few GTG's (get to togethers) where people discuss these speakers. Not sure if they may have a trial period.

Another option to consider down the track (after you find some speakers or even with your existing speakers) is what I have found is a power amp can open up the sound stage over just an AVR.
It can add a bit clarity especially when the volume goes up and in complex passages.

Though I did do a search on your current speakers and one of things that came up is they can be a little murky on the dialog side of things.

Last edited:
Ldooderrino

Ldooderrino

Audiophyte
Until last year, an HK AVR had always powered our theaters. We have been through many models and all have served duty powering various Polk Audio speaker packages. My ears always enjoyed the combo of the two brands and our last build was quite impressive...considering we really did not spend that much money on it.

HK AVR 3600 (I was lucky to not have one riddled with issues)
RTi 10's for mains
CSi5 center
RTi 6's for surrounds
2 Paradigm PW2200 subs

Off of the HK's power, this system sounded pretty damn impressive. I expected less...mid-market gear and all. Otherwise, I thought the system was (imho) an over achiever for what I paid. Clear, crisp, punchy, and nothing truly out of sorts. Eventually, I added an ADA PTM6150 amp to the rig and it made for one heck of a system.

In the end, I gave credit to something way beyond the gear in the room. The sound was above average to me due to the pointers I took from forums that helped me to prep the room. Treating the walls/ceiling, bass traps, choice of furniture cost me some coin and drove the wife nuts but having a neutral room to work with makes ALL the difference in the world.

I have since moved away from HK and Polk but I will never forget how great I thought they sounded together in our homes. Just my .02 and happy hunting.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis