Good Receiver for Under $300: Exclusively for MUSiC!!!

R

rajx7

Enthusiast
Hey,
Can anyone suggest a nice 7.1 receiver for under $300 and great for music.
Let me explain before anyone jumps up and say why multi channel for music.

I am in the process of building my basement. It has 2 main rooms and one long room. One room will be dedicated for HT. I am interested in setting up 6 speakers in that long room and am looking for a musical receiver. This room is approximately 33' long and 18' wide. I have 4 Definite Techs., Pro 80 (2 Spk),
Pro 100 (2 Spk) and 2 of Tannoy's (Fusion 2) . I will be spreading them along the length of the hall and also planning to add a Sub to add some bass to my music. I wanted 7.1 receiver as I wanted to run these speakers in 7 Ch Stereo mode.

So far I have heard Onkyo TX-SR503 in that price range and somewhat liked it. Does anybody have any idea if Marantz 4400 or 4500 would do better.

If you guys have better suggestions please feel free to say it. I will really appreciate it.
Regards,
R

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Last edited:
R

rajx7

Enthusiast
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Why not go for a high current 5.1 receiver, and add a two channel power amp for your front mains? You can easily do it on ebay, and blow away the two you've listed. It may take some time, but for music, there's not comparison.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39794&item=5782708258&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39783&item=5782864937&rd=1
Thanks a lotBuck, for your suggestion. I will definitely look into this option.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
If this is for something like 7 channel stereo, i wouldnt go the separate amp route b/c 1) you dont have any mains 2) its an extra control that would be unnecessary 3) the marantz (which i would recommend over the onkyo hands down) would do the job just fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis