Good Progressive Scan VS Bad

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Can't rememeber if I asked this yet, but I am going to buy a new DVD player and need to ask something.

I was using a Denon 800 480i DVD player with my New Panasonic Plasma (HD). Went out and bought a cheap toshiba progressive scan player and in my opinion the picture was much worse. Is that possible? Can a good 480i player be better then a crappy 480p?

Can someone tell me what the most noticeable picture quality differences will be between a low end progressive scan player (Toshiba $89) and a high end one (Denon 2910)?

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Can no one tell me the difference between good and bad progressive scan? any input would be great.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Vancouver said:
Can no one tell me the difference between good and bad progressive scan? any input would be great.
Well, I can tell you my own subjective experience. I bought a HD plasma a few months ago and hooked it up to my old Panasonic DVD player and used it that way for a while before I bought a Denon progressive scan DVD player. I don't see much, if any, difference between the two. Now I did not A/B them together so you can take this with a grain of salt. What I can say for sure is that if there is a difference, to me it would be be very subtle.

Nick

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Vancouver said:
I thought the difference between 480i and 480p was almost a great as between VHS and DVD-but then again, I went from a low/mid end 480i to a mid/hi end 480p (old JVC to a Denon 2910). I've heard chatter on the board about great picture quality out of low end Panasonics and Pioneers but I've never compared them so I couldn't give you my opinion. I can tell you that a friend of mine just bought the Denon 1910 DVD player and with the DVI hookup into 1080i its better than my 2910 at 480p through component. I think he paid about $250 inc. tax and since he doesn't listen to much music (much less multi-channel music), he didn't feel like bumping up to the 2910 (at $350 more).

How big is your plasma TV? Sometimes a 480p signal will look kinda crappy (as in "not much better") on a bigger screen, and you'd need to go to 720p or 1080i to get the resolution.

Bryan...then again, I'm using a 32" crt HDTV...

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
I am using a 42" Panasonic HDTV Plasma. Did you notice a big difference when you go the 2910? I didnt know the 1910 had a DVI output.

Just a quick question...when your friend watches a movie with 1080i resolution is the picture smaller? what exactly changes?

The biggest thing I am looking to improve is the "gohsty" looking images when things move on the screen.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
All I know is that when I upgraded to a Sony KP-51WS500 rear projection TV, I watched a few movies on my Apex DVD player with the composit connection. I booted that DVD player in favor of a Proton (cough*POS*cough) DVD player with component connections and noticed very little difference. I'm probally gonna have to upgrade to a better DVD player. And soon.

Paul

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Vancouver said:
I am using a 42" Panasonic HDTV Plasma. Did you notice a big difference when you go the 2910? I didnt know the 1910 had a DVI output.

Just a quick question...when your friend watches a movie with 1080i resolution is the picture smaller? what exactly changes?

The biggest thing I am looking to improve is the "gohsty" looking images when things move on the screen.
The difference was clearly noticeable, but I wouldn't say "big": the images were smoother and the people and objects onscreen seemed more solid. My friend's got a Toshiba 46" rear projection (which he just picked up early November) and as much as I hate to admit it, his picture at 1080i is better-the images seem almost 3D compared to mine. With the 1080i the picture isn't any smaller, they're just adding intewrlaced lines.

If you've got "halos" around your TV images, have you tried using the Avia or DVE disc on the set?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Vancouver said:

Your image problem maybe inherent with your Plasma display. Look at a Football game Sunday and see if action scenes give you the same effect. In the affirmative, buying a new DVD will not resolve the problem. New upscale LCD's (Sharp Aquos, LG) have corrected the trace appearance after quick movements which has been associated with Plasma and LCD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis