Good news! Online Speaker Company Faceoff comingup

S

shaolin95

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi!
Maybe some of you remember that I sent an email to many HT magazines asking them to do an Online Speaker Company shootout. Unfortunately as most of you and I expected, none of the magz say yes to the idea pressumably because none of the online companies pay enough in ads to &quot;earn&quot; a review...sad but true thats the honesty of mag reviews now adays.
There is good news still, Ecoustics.com is going to do the Faceoff article and they are working on it just now. It will take sometime as its a complex thing but we will appreciate any input (I dont work for them but since I gave the idea they are listening to my opinions about how to do it).

Here are the products to be reviewed:
AXIOM: &nbsp; &nbsp;Bookshelf model M22ti ($400) Tower model M40ti ($490)
HTD: &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Bookshelf model Level 4 ($499) &nbsp;Tower model Level 3($429)
Fluance: &nbsp; Tower SV-10 ($299) also TOWERS ES-1 ($399)
Ascend Acoustics: &nbsp;Bookshelf CBM-170 ($328)
Aperion : &nbsp; Bookshel &nbsp;MODEL f522D-LR ($180 EACH)
Onyx Rocket model RS150 ($399)

As you can see with are doing an under $500 FaceOff first and will do an under $1000 later. My opinions is that we should compare all speakers based on price and not based on speaker type (ie tower or bookshelf) since lets say, Company A sells a tower for $400 a pair and Company B sells a Bookshelf also for $400 pair, I want to know which one is the better bang for the buck since they cost the same. If we were to separate into speaker types it will IMHO defeat the purpose of the article which is to find out which Speaker is the real Best-bang-for-the-buck. I mean, isnt Company A's fault that Company B prices a bookshelf at the same price at Company A's tower. Besides, just because of being a tower it doesnt mean that it is going to sound better than a bookshelf, ,more bass probably yes, but sonically better is another story. Hope to hear your opinions on this article.
Regards</font>

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
<font color='#000000'>I love it. Because my speakers were priced so good, I was able to use towers all the way around! Think they would throw MB Quart in the mix?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Dont know yet :) We are having a little a problem regarding one point in particular. He wants to compare towers vs towers and bookshelves vs bookshelves. I think that defeats the purpose of the article which is to know wich one offers the best bang for the buck. I mean, if Fluance sells towers for $200 pair and Ascend Acoustics sells the 170 bookshelf for $380pair, that isnt Fluance's fault. We still need to know if indeed the higher price bookshelf is better than the tower. Just because it is a tower doesnt mean it is better. We are not looking for the one with more bass but with better sound quality, imaging, all that. All I want to know is where are my $500 or less better spend and it doesnt matter if its a BK or Tower. Do you agree?</font>

austinbirdman

austinbirdman

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Towers vs. Towers and Bookshelves vs. Bookshelves makes sense to me. People often move up from bookshelf to tower (or even back) during the purchasing process, but generally you're looking at one or the other. It's too &quot;apples to oranges&quot; if you compare towers to bookshelves. I hear what you're saying about price, but really, those value decisions may be best left to readers. I really like the way Audioholics does it, where they rate the speakers on quality independent of price, and then come in and rate them on value. That seems like a fair way to get over the cost differential. Readers can draw their own inferences on quality then, and decide where they fall on the quality vs. value spectrum. After all, many would gladly spend an extra $150 to get the BEST bookshelf in the shootout, while many others would more gladly save $150 to get the second or third best speaker but the one that won for value. So separating quality and value makes sense.

I have one other thought I'd like to add -- how about scrapping the under $500 floorstander part of the shootout, and doing centers or surrounds instead? I'd rather see a shootout on each company's best speakers, not their entry-level mediocre ones. At under $500, you can see some great bookshelves, but not such great floorstanders. But the under $500 threshold lends itself well to a center-channel or surround shootout. Then in the under $1000 group do just the premiere floorstanders for those same companies. Not sure if under $1000 is the right threshold ... How about around $1000?

Just my .02 based on what I'd want to read.

Birdman</font>

S

shaolin95

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Maybe we should just add the center speaker also from each company...good idea
The towers will stay in cause I was able to audition the HTD level 3 tower at $430 and they are impressive. So you can get good products at under $500 with online companies</font>

<font color='#000080'>This sounds like a cool review. eCoustics is going to have their hands full comparing all those models!

I will look forward to reading the final draft.</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I think this is a very fair way to test the limits of how far the money can be stretched and love the idea. This isn't the type of review consumers are accustomed to, so I can understand any angst. Though ultimately I know that if a $450/pr of bookshelf speaker sounded better overall than a $450/pr of towers. or vice versa, then size would become relatively unimportant.</font>

M

mayor_of_simpleton

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Any chance of getting Cambridge Soundworks Newton series speakers added to the mix? Seems to me their M60 bookshelf ($299/pr) would merit consideration.

I know there was a recent comparison of the CSW M80 with the Axiom M22ti (on the Axiom boards, IIRC). I'd just like to hear more about CSWs and see how they stack up against the whole field (IMHO, they are the best looking speakers in the price range. Gotta keep the WAF in mind, right?

I'm actually planning my own in-home shootout among comparable Axiom, CSW, and Aperion units. The winner will be the foundation of a 5.1 ht/music setup (I'll order another pair of bookshelfs, plus a CC; I'm still undecided on a sub). But it might save me some return shipping if I could eliminate one on the basis of a more professional/expert review.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

Did the review mentioned in OP ever happen?

I am curious about how Axiom, Aperion, and Rockets stack up.

B

blackpug

Enthusiast
Would like to see them use the VAC center channel in their test. It does a much better job then the smaller 522 sats

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis