good match for Yamaha rec.

S

staleskin

Audiophyte
What speakers match well with Yamaha recievers?
These speakers are in my are.

Tannoy
Canton
Mission
M&K
Energy
Jamo
Velodyne
Polk
Infinity
Athena Technologies
Phase Technologies
NHT
KEF
Cambridge Audio
Legacy Audio
Wharfedale
JMlab
Paradigm
Pinnacle
Bohlender Graebener
B&W
Monitor Audio
PSB
Anthony Gallo
Martin Logan
Boston
Klipsch
Def. Tech

The store I purchased the Yammy from had it set up with Energy and Klipsch,
But I would like to check out other speakers and get an opinion on what speakers are bright with the yammy and what are not. I like some what of a bright sound but not too bright but don't like them too laid back. My speaker budget is 3500.

Also what about Rocket, Axiom, and other online speaker companies. Sorry for the long post.
thanks

Last edited:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Your probably not going to get a lot of answers on this because it's ultimately up to you to decide and you have provided a HUGE list of speakers. All of them are different. Which ones are the best fit for your receiver is up to you and your ears. I think My Bostons work great with my Yamaha 1400 but others may hate this combo.

Do this first. Establish what kind of speakers you want in terms of Towers, Bookshelves, micros, etc. Then, decide how many. 2, 5, 7 or more. Then, start listening to some. Also, remember just because you buy Brand A speakers does not mean you have to buy Brand A subwoofer. There a lot of companies out there that make incredible subs that don't generally make speakers. HSU, SVS, Adire to name a few. A sub is the least important speakers in terms of timbre matching.

By the way, how many speakers are you looking for. If it's more than two, you can probably scratch off Legacy and Martin Logan due to your budget. Damn fine speakers, but bigger mula. Personally, if I had the money, I would be all over the Legacy Classics. They are awesome!

Norrow down your search and then present a new list to us. Maybe then we can give you some pointers. Myself and others could probably write a novel describing all those choices. In the end, go with what sounds best to you. That's what matters, not what myself or anyone else thinks.

Do some listening and get back to us.

Shinerman

S

skitheo

Audiophyte
YPAO vs. KEF wiring polarity

On a somewhat related note,

Situation:

Newly acquired Yamaha RX-V2500, and KEF Q11 (mains), Q10c, Q2ds. Carefully examined speaker cable to make sure that I was consistent about wiring red to red and black to black (receiver to speaker). But when I ran YPAO auto setup, it said that I had reversed polarity on all but one of the Q2ds surrounds. I swapped the polarity on them all, then YPAO was happy. From the RX-V2500 manual "W1: Out of Phase - Speaker polarity is incorrect. This message may appear depending on the speakers even when they are connected correctly"

Question:
So which way do I wire it? Red terminal to red terminal? Or the way YPAO wants it? Is this a feature of the KEFs? Or is this a "feature" of YPAO?

TIA,
Theo

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
YPAO is not alway right as far as phase, speaker size, and distance is concerned. I would suggest ignoring (bypassing this test) it if you are sure it's wired correctly. Sometimes the reflections around the speaker (near a wall) will fool it.

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
B&W's or Paradigms. I wouldn't go with Klipschs with the Yammie - that would be overly bright IMO. But as Shinerman said, its all a matter of personal preference. Let your ears decide. Check for dispersion when listening - see how far to one side or the other of the speaker to see how much the sound changes from standing on-axis. Concentrate on voice sounds (midrange) using different demo discs (especially with female voices). Good luck. :) With your budget though, I would definitely check out the Paradigm 100's as well as the B&W's (I like the Nautilus). :D

A

asathor

Nice budget

With that kind of buget you might go further if you replace the Yamaha.

Take a look at StereoPhile and Audiophile magazines and shorten you list - then listen.

Make sure to check out digital re-clocks and up samplers - whatever they call them.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Can of worms...

asathor said:
With that kind of buget you might go further if you replace the Yamaha.

Take a look at StereoPhile and Audiophile magazines and shorten you list - then listen.

Make sure to check out digital re-clocks and up samplers - whatever they call them.
I would question anyone's opinion who immediately, says dump the Yamaha, with out knowing which model you have, and then proceeds to tell you that the answer you seek lays within the pages of a StereoPhile or AudioPhile magazines, and then points you to look at equipment that has questionable audible benefits, or at least little benefit compared to cost.

Now with that out of the way, what model of yammi do u have? If you have a bottom of the line AVR, the previous post might hold some water, however it would seem that u have a pretty good grasp on what's out there in the audio world, so I doubt u r planning on putting 3500 dollars worth speakers on a 250 dollar AVR.

So what sounds good with a yammi...? Audition, audition, audition,...narrow down, audition at home, take your time, listen to your ears, and not others opinions.

Go B&W!!!!.....but with HSU, or SVS sub!

Last edited:
S

skitheo

Audiophyte
Outdated discussion

I don't know if any of you noticed, but the original question was posted almost a year ago. I'm sure that Staleskin has made his purchase and most of the discussion is largely irrelevant. I just posted the question about YPAO because I didn't want to start a new thread.

G

golfhack

Audioholic Intern
Oooops!!! My bad...thanks, for the keen eye Skitheo. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis