Goldenear triton two Or magnepan 1.7?

L

landrum

Audiophyte
I've got a Denon 2312. Would you prefer the magnepan 1.7 or the goldenear triton two? These would be a music centric 7.1 home theater system. Are those speakers too good for my avr? Should I just get the jbl studio 190 and be done with it? Thanks!

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know the Tritons but i do know the maggies...

...and running them with that receiver would be doing a great diservice to both. I ran mine from a Rotel RB-991 (200wpc @ 8 ohm, 300 @ 4 ohm) and they did well. A buddy is running them from a big Emotiva of the same class and they still sound fine.

Whe I ran them from a NAD 214 (80 wpc @ 8 ohm, +-120 wpc @4 ohms) it the speakers sucked it dry. ...and 80 ain't that much different from 105

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If I may add to what Mark said.
The Maggies sound great, but they need room in the back and on the sides.
A ballpark of about 3ft+ off the rear wall and 4ft+ on the sides.
They are also 6ft tall...If you're married that may not fly with the wife.

Of the two speakers (if using that receiver) and sensitivity of the Triton Two is at 90 dB. Impedance runs a little low, hitting a minimum of 2.9 ohms at 3 kHz and averaging about 5 ohms. Maximum impedance phase shift is -46° at 20 kHz-not an extreme shift, and not at a frequency where there's a lot of energy. (got that from a review.)

I'd get the Tritons and a pancake fan to pull air up and out of my Denon.
Just my $0.02

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm running the Triton II's with a Denon 4311. So far no issues at all.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Tritons With That Reciever

As mentioned in previous posts, the Maggies could be tough on that reciever.

The Goldenears are a much easier load and should be fine though. I have a pair driven by Pioneer Elite VSX-TX82S (140wpc) and it sounds great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis