Golden Ear Triton One Initial Impressions

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I made the decision to purchase the Triton One's after about an hour long demo at a dealer I had to drive 40 miles to get to, because my dealer didn't have them on the floor.

I think, as many as you know by now, I am not an expert in describing sound, but I definitely know what I like :)

I will say that I am still in awe a bit on how good they sound, but some of the comments made by reviews in this forum definitely do apply.

Build Quality: 9/10
These Speakers are solid, as in each speaker comes in at around 80lbs. They require a little more care when moving around because of the 4 Infrasonic radiators (2 on each side bottom Speaker) Even with the 4 radiators, the build quality of the speaker is solid and I have no doubt well built.

I took a point away because, it is still covered by a big sock and I don't like the plastic looking bottom base, but overall a nice looking speaker

Additional Observations:

These speakers will require a larger room for a listening area, I don't suggest it for small rooms at all, as I would estimate they would need about 3 feet of space on each side to accommodate the bass and radiators. Right now in my Loft area these speakers are just too big, and if I were to be buying for that room, I would never go with these. They are TALL!! really Tall. I was surprised how small the Triton Two looks next to them. I would say they are about the same width and depth as my Studio 100s, but about a 10 inches taller. For speakers of this height, they are still in a relatively small footprint, which is one of the reasons I was attracted to them.

Sound Tests:

I tried different soundtracks with these speakers and have yet to try them with moves, and while I was blown away with sound quality, they do have some challenges I came across.

Pink Floyd: DSOTM - MFSL

I was truly impressed with they ways the speakers performed with this material. The devil is in the detailed and for a speaker that hasn't even been broken in yet, it was impressive.

Track 1: Speak to me
Could immediately tell the impact from the integrated 1600w subs,

Track 4: Time:
The best way to describe this was I felt like I was enveloped in the sound, that only two speakers gave the impression that it was almost a 3D type of effect where it really felt like the music moved behind me

Track 5: The Great Gig in the Sky
The piano sounded like it was in the same room, I felt as these speakers didn't miss a single detail of this track, piano, vocals, guitar and the cymbals on the drum piece just sounded so clean, I wish I could describe it better

Ed Sheeran "I've Seen Fire"
I really like this song from The second Hobbit movie and these speakers handle it so well. I felt the in this song was imaged perfectly between the speakers and with incredible detail and realism as if he were sitting right in front of him singing the song. The acoustic guitar has so much detail. I think the best way to describe this is that I first heard this song at the end of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug in 7.1 watching the Blu-Ray at home and the way the music surrounded me on just two speakers, felt almost he same. I was truly in "awe"

That being said, I will agree with some of the statements made by others who have heard these speakers. They sound can tend to sound a bit "forward" at times on some of the tracks I listened to

They are not the prettiest speakers, but I haven't pulled down the cloth yet to see if they are the same ugly silver color as those I saw reviewed in Sound & Vision. I was told they are black, but knowing from experience how hard it is to pull down the cloth on these speakers and then to get it looking nice again, I have decided against it :)

Last observation in on the Bass. I definitely feel it is tight, responsive and makes its presence felt, but I have a little concern if it will be able to reach the "lowest" levels of sound reproduction. I had bass turned to 12 o'clock and they are not broken in.

Overall for the price I paid and the fact they are a 5k Speaker, I am extremely happy with my purchase, while they won't get a lot of my playtime in my townhouse, they will enjoy a nice place in my HT man cave when my new house is complete

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis