Going off on someone for trying to help!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Why is it that when you try to help someone who may have different equipment from you, but a similar problem you may have had, other people feel the need to come in & slam your advice? Usually the topic will include phrases like, any help or idea would be greatly appreciated. This bugs me. I enjoy coming in here & sharing opinions & trying to help those who need it. This is the reason I have not been here in a long time. I recently came back on & find that people are still rude when they may have a different idea than you. If my idea doesn't solve the problem, I still enjoy helping & seeing the problem get solved! Just the other day, I told someone over & over their problem. Later, they come back & said they found the answer on the front page & I was right! Man, this stuff can really p!$$ me off sometimes! :mad:

Last edited:
Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Oh, yeah? Well screw you! :D

Seriously, ignore them. Life is too short.

OTOH, sometimes you can learn even from people that have crappy attitudes. Just because the delivery is lacking doesn't mean the information is not good.

J

JJNab

Audioholic Intern
Hey Zumbo,

Your posts always strike me as intelligent and well-intentioned. I hope you don't depart again, as I think you contribute a lot to this forum.
JJ

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Good Advice, bad advice, we all have something to offer.

Everybody has issues....

I just read some of the poster's previous posts to better understand the ax that they have brought to the table to grind upon. And we all do have an ax to grind, it is just some of us also carry a chainsaw, and a blow torch, and a hand grenade etc. to discussion table as well.

This is most likely the most balance board that I have encountered, the flaming is generally kept to a minimum, and most of the posters, even those with obvious issues, are quite fair and objective.

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
zumbo, it's rare that someone goes off on you for trying to help. It's unfortunate, but it does happen sometimes. You bring good knowledge and advice to the bar, we need more people like you not less. :)

In any forum, you need to develop thick skin. I've gotten fed up with and dropped out of more forums than I can count. As sjdgpt said, this is one of the better ones by far.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Zumbo,

I am glad that you are back patrolling these areas doing your part to help out. The way I look at it here is that we are a team. Since there are so many different components and ways to connect (configure) them its nice to know that someone has my back. Especially if I leave something out or make an incorrect statement.

If you look at it this way it won't be so frustrating the next time someone else contributes to that particular thread. :)

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
zumbo, I've seen you post some very accurate, very helpful info and was glad for it, and other times I've seen you post info that makes me wonder if your nick shouldn't start with a d rather than a z.

I don't know that I'm one of those people that you refer to as "slamming your advice", and really don't care, but either way this is what I have to say on the matter.

I am someone who does go into forums to ask questions, not usually here, but elsewhere. The typical response or answer I get usually only gives me just enough information to point me to a potential source for better researching my problem. Rarely do I get a specific enough answer, or one well thought out enough to be of any use. So if indeed I see something like that here, and I feel I can provide a more thorough, more thoughtful answer, then I'll usually provide it.

When I see someone give poor advice, it's one thing to be mistaken, but when it looks as though it is intentional, and they are doing it at the expense of the person asking a legitimate question, then that's just plain wrong. I would hope anyone in here would jump in and set things right in that situation.

When advice is vague, and then someone comes along and provides more detail, no one should say, "I was right, why did you have to come and repeat what I said?" Maybe the followup was because the info was vague, undescriptive, lacked other potential possibilities, specific product experience, insight, potential pitfalls, or whatever else. As griffin25 said, it's a team effort, so what difference does it make anyway?

With experience I gained while in sales, people with basic HT knowledge often can't figure out HT problems in general w/o a little extra effort in the details. Further explanation as to why it is, the way it is, goes along way in helping them see the bigger picture. If you just say hook up a tv to this in/out of that...fine, but the person asking the question is likely to just end up scratching their head. Just don't underestimate their lack of understanding. It's better to have too much info than not enough.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
See, this is what I mean. Someone with their head stuck so far up their @$$ to think they are the way and the light at the end of the tunnel. If you do not care about your rudeness, then why such a painfully long response? Have you ever had the best intentions while trying to be helpful, and someone "that don't really care" come along and just be plain rude! Well I have. If I felt someone was giving the wrong advice, I would try to give my opinion to the person asking the question & not worry about the other persons advice. You never know, your advice just may be the one that is the least helpful. But at least the person asking the question would have two, or more, things to try. But if you feel that your response is the only worthy response on this forum, then I feel for you. I learn from conversation. Not from one given answer. I like to take several points of view, and then mold my own from there! :rolleyes:

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
GooblyWoobly 11-24-2004 01:55 PM
st-top-box to receiver connection

----- Had posted this on a different forum, realized this forum is better-------------

Hi Folks,
New here. Apologize beforehand if my qs is out of place.
I'm playing around with the new HT I bought (polk speakers,onkyo receiver). Now, while hooking up, looks like my comcast set-top-box has only F-Connector out (the coaxial cable tv one). The receiver I have takes in component/svideo/composite for video and optical/coax/composite for audio. How do I get my cabe TV to go through the receiver?

I noticed the cable STB has RCA also on it, but when I connect the RCA to my TV/receiver, the output is only black/white. Any idea what's going wrong?

Thanks

zumbo 11-24-2004 02:32 PM
Why the double post? :mad:

GooblyWoobly 11-24-2004 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumbo
Why the double post? :mad:

See the first line of my post here :
"----- Had posted this on a different forum, realized this forum is better-------------"
Sorry!! But I didn't know if there was any way to move the post.

zumbo 11-24-2004 03:27 PM
I am offering you the help you need, but you have to work WITH me on this. This is FREE advice you know!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
This was after several times of trying to help. Goobly Woobly moved to a different thread after I had began to try to help. He did not seem to understand what I was trying to tell him. Then you came along and gave the same information I gave on my FIRST post in the FIRST thread. And of coarse, Mr. T. came along and answered Goobs question, and then said "now what are you going to do with it". That was funny, so I said LOL. Then you ruffled your feathers about that, and I replied with a simple I'm sorry.

BTW, because of you joining the conversation and b!t(h!ng, the Goob and I used the private message system to finish! :p

PS: This post was about people in general, not you alone. No hard feelings. :)

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Zumbo, If I say you give the best advice and I always agree with you, can I have your adcom? :D

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
LOL. I love my Adcom, but I have to say my MB Quarts are the strongest link in my system.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
If you are refering to this thread, there is absolutely no simularity between your answer and mine. He wanted to switch devices through his receiver, he told you this and then you ignore what he wanted to do. My response would have allowed him to do what he wanted.

BTW he private messaged me as well, so if he got it working the way he wanted then great, mission accomplished.

Regarding T's post when he took Goobly literally about converting the connection, you and he both knew that it was a smartass answer. Then instead of trying to help, you laugh about it? Why would that be funny? Is this your idea of, as this post topic reads, "trying to help"?

Anyway, this my last response, is simply so people can see how sorry some of your actions have been. Just as a way to make peace I'm willing to avoid anywhere I've seen you post. I'll do this just to be sure I'm never accused of "slamming you" or repeating your advice. However, If I know you are wrong about something I'm not going to stand idly by and watch someone get advice that might wind up costing them money or force them to have to return something that they have no use for.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I did not tell the Goober to buy any device. I plainly told the goob how to hook his $htuff up. Mr. T. told the Goober what to buy as a joke & I thought that was funny, and again I remind you that I said I was sorry. And once again, I said this post was for people in general. I have read some of your recent post, and see you have toned the slamming down a little. So, as far as you go, this post worked. Now, if it helped anyone else learn how to respectfully disagree with people, only time will tell.

"trying to help" refers to a cable isolater for ground loop problems. Nothing to do with you. Whole other thread where advice was given, but not trusted.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

How about the two of you make a deal,

Hopjohn- Find a solution to help with the problem w/o being so harsh.

Zumbo- Dont post for the sake of posting, make sure your information is accurate.

I think you both bring up valid points, Now deal with them!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't post for the sake of posting. I ONLY post if I feel I can be of some help, or if I need some help. Most of the time, as I stated, others don't have the same equipment as I. But they state any help or idea would be appreciated. When I was getting help here with my system, I got some good advice, and some bad. But I was VERY thankful for ALL help. This forum & Audioholics made my system what it is today. :)

I will try not to post unless my information is accurate. ;)

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Mudcat said:
this is fun. Just for the sake of posting! :eek:
I wonder if there is a contest for the first person who gets 1000 posts. Maybe a new Yamaha 2500. If so you had better get posting Mudcat, Zumbo has a sizeable lead! :)

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
how about the first person to 1000 gets banned for life?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis