Getting the NAD M17 V2 processor, considering amplification choices.

G

Gui0312

Audiophyte
Hello,

A little background, I have an 11x11 room. Speakers consist of B&W 805D3 fronts, HTM2D3 Center and two REL HT/1205 subs. I proba won’t have any rears for a while. Currently I’ve had a Rotel RSp1576mkii which I am not happy with so I went with the Arcam AV40, first day compete firmware failure, pretty much a bricked unit. I also had a Rotel RMB 1585 5x200w which had a annoying buzzing sound which is being returned. I’ve also had a monolith HTP-1 which I felt was pretty cheap in build, volume knob, loose power connector in the back and overall It just sounded like a drape was hanging over my speakers, tons of clipping also when doing Dirac not sure why, my other dirac enabled processors never had that.

That being said, I’m going with the NAD m17V2i, since the price is higher than the other guys, I thought I could compensate in the amplifier with something like the Monolith 3-5Ch. I’ve read great things about them. Also through my research I have come to understand how the pre/pro is vastly more important than the amp. I would love to go with the digital amp from NAD to match but it’s just too much money (4-5k) at this point since I’m stretching budget on the processor.

is going with the 3 channel better than going 5 since I don’t have 5 speakers to power In terms of quality?

My utilization is about 50/50 movies, music I would say. I’m using 4k blu-rays and Apple TV 4K, also for music, I am currently using a Bluesound node 2i (would be replaced with the NAD m17 v2i with the built in BluOS) with Tidal.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless you need balanced I/O and/or must have Dirac Live, you can save money getting an AVR-X4700H that outperformed the NAD on the test bench. You can use it with a 2,3 or more channel power amp and still have the option to use the build in amps. AV devices tends to be outdated too quickly, so there isn't much point spending more than you have to.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
More money doesnt necessarily equate to better quality or performance. NAD has had quality control issuss for the last 15 years and can't seem to get on top of their issues.

G

Gui0312

Audiophyte
More money doesnt necessarily equate to better quality or performance. NAD has had quality control issuss for the last 15 years and can't seem to get on top of their issues.
Never said it did. I did my rounds with others and maybe two of the four were QC. The others just didn’t like their sound.

G

Gui0312

Audiophyte
If the user already has nice amps the Marantz AV7705 - 11.2 Channel AV is on sale for $1799. It includes XLR outs for all 7.2.4 channels.

I don’t have any amps right now. I’m in the market for one which is what I started this thread for. Only thing I’ve received is that I should get Denon act’s and that I’m thinking more money is exempt from QC issues . I don’t buy into most graphs and bench testing though, I let me ears be the choice. I’ve head Denon’s and Marantz AVR’s latest was a 7010 I believe?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I read this report on the Marantz AV7705. It's not so great...

What's a pre-amp with great specs?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don’t have any amps right now. I’m in the market for one which is what I started this thread for. Only thing I’ve received is that I should get Denon act’s and that I’m thinking more money is exempt from QC issues . I don’t buy into most graphs and bench testing though, I let me ears be the choice. I’ve head Denon’s and Marantz AVR’s latest was a 7010 I believe?
More money is not exempt from QC issues. Stay away from NAD. Yamaha still holds the best QC rep in the industry.

I think you need to invest some time in research about human hearing and perception of sound. The funny thing is that human hearing is easily influenced by sight bias. Proper bench tests of AVRs, amplifers, etc will show you if the unit is powerful enough to drive your loudspeakers loud enough for your liking without going into clipping. Ignoring proper bench tests is analogous to walking into a car dealership blindfolded. You'll end up buying something with no clue to its performance.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I let me ears be the choice. I’ve head Denon’s and Marantz AVR’s latest was a 7010 I believe?
I understand why a lot of people hold the same opinion, or actually, believe that is the better way. Just that, well qualified and regarded experts, including Dr. Toole would tell you if you are to go with your ears then you do it blind, preferably double blind. It is very difficult for most of us to do a proper blind/double blind comparison obviously, so going with bench test results could be a good way to at least come up with the short list.

You have the D3 speakers that appear to have very good resolution and low distortions, so I thought they deserve preamp/prepro that also have very low distortions to begin with. It does not mean that the NAD's poorer THD+M, IMD, linearity would be a factor as it depends on other factors, but relatively speaking, based on very detailed measurements available on ASR, the Denon AVRs will more likely give you better results if in your applications the differences do translate into something audible. And I am only highlighting this as an viable option because they are so cheap relatively speaking, making it easier to upgrade even every 3/4 years.

Aside from specs, measurements and price, the NAD does look much better but it is just my subjective view. All else being equal I would take the NAD too because of its look.

I know it sounds a little ridiculous to use a 13 channel AVR as a preamp/pro, but the performance to price ratio is really tempting. The same can be said about the Yamaha CX-A5100/5200 too, but I would definitely wait for the CX-A5300 that I think have some significant improvements, including 8K for sure, and processing capability may increase from 11 to 13 channels.

Here are two very detailed technical reviews:
Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Review and Measurements of NAD M17 V2 Pre/Pro | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Any of the Denon models in the top ten below performed better than the NAD. I linked the X6700H for you to read because you obvious have the budget and may prefer one that is made in Japan, just in case you would give the often despised AVR a try...:D

1606565250716.png

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have an 11x11 room. Speakers consist of B&W 805D3 fronts, HTM2D3 Center and two REL HT/1205 subs.
I think if you want 100% separates, instead of AVR like RX-A3080, something like a Yamaha CX-A5200 and matching MX-A5200 is another option.

It has 11Ch, but you can use just 3Ch for now.

My room is 26FT x 22FT x 14FT ceiling. I have the CX-A5100 and MX-A5000.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis