Getting the best sound

H

Hummada

Audiophyte
Ok,

I just bought a 1905 Denon reciever with Definitive Technology speakers.
2006 fronts
2300 center
BP2X surrounds

It will be a couple weeks before I get the fronts.

Cables-14 gauge -monstercables
Toslink optical cable

Other than speaker positioning and room acoustics,what are some simple ways to improve this system?

I've read a lot of info on this site and I'm overwhelmed

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
quickest improvement is to make sure the center speaker points toward the listening spot vertically as well as horizontally... if you have the center on top of a rear-projection TV and sit on a sofa to watch, 90 % of the sound may be passing over your head. tilt the back end of the center up a little so the sound comes to you. ;)

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
Other than speaker positioning and room acoustics,what are some simple ways to improve this system?
Ruling out positioning and room acoustics makes it sound like you're asking for what to buy next! :D My knee-jerk response would be to get a subwoofer, but looking at those 2006's I see they already have built-in powered subs that get you down into the low 30's, with useable output in the 20's so that box is checked. Good.

I say hook 'er up and enjoy! I've never heard Definitive Technology speakers before, but from the looks of things I think you'll be quite happy.

H

Hummada

Audiophyte
Yep,

I'm looking forword to the sound I will be getting out of the tower speakers.

I'm going to upgrade this system next year by using the 7006ers as surrounds,and getting 7002ers as fronts.

I understand that there are certain products that are worthy of purchase(like cables,amps,conditioners). I'm asking what company(s) make quality products that are affordably/not getting ripped off. This is just like any other interest of mine. I get a little psycho on things that cost me months of work. That is why these things are priceless to ones life! :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, from what you have right now, I can't see cables making a difference. If you're making long speaker cable runs, then I'd suggest 12 or 10 ga, but other than that, your 14ga will do just fine. Some quality interconnects might help if you have have issues with interference. But, you're not going to hear a sound quality difference by upgrading cables (unless there is something seriously wrong with the ones you have right now).

For power conditioners, I'd say look into Tripp Lite, Furman, Panamax, and APC. You should at least have a surge protector on your system to make sure a thunderstorm doesn't fry your gear one night. Tripp Lite makes some pretty reasonably priced bar-style units that are excellent. You don't need a $2000 Balanced Power unit. However, good power conditioning can really help to keep the noise in your electrical lines from other appliances out of your system.

For cables (if you need new ones or longer lengths), I'd recommend that you buy in bulk and terminate them yourself. It can save a lot of money. For interconnects, something from Blue Jeans Cable or Impact Acoustics should do fine.

If you want to buy cable in bulk, then I'd recommend looking at Westlake Electronic or Parts Express. Westlake Electronic has excellent prices on Canare and Belden products. Parts Express sells Sound King wire, which is some nice looking, high-quality zip cord.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis