Getting Started with Home Audio

U

Unregistered

My wife and I have decided to start piecing together some kind of audio system. Currently we are living in a small apt, but want to start building a system that we could expand later and be happy with.

I listen to alot of music on the computer/iPod and realize that the audio quality is not the best, however I don't mind the sacrifice of sound quality for the portability of the iPod/ usability of having my collection all in one place on the computer.

I'd like to get a reciever that will be able to handle future improvements to the system and won't need to be upgraded later. Looking at the 3000 vs 5000$ ultimate system, the recievers go from 299 straight to 999. I'm trying to decide what I should get now that will have features I may want later.

We have a decent TV that we have no current interest in upgrading, a cheap DVD player that should be fine for now with our TV, and everything is hooked up to a 10yr old Sony all in one stereo. I'd like to hear VHS, DVD, CD (I think that will play from the DVD player?) and music from my computer. I might try the Airport Express to wirelessly stream iTunes to the computer, but perhaps a direct wire will work better. When I get this set up I will start encoding music I want to hear through the stereo in lossless format so I can enjoy the music more fully.

Can anybody give some general considerations that I should consider, I'm having a hard time finding simple comparisons about reciever quality across the 2-400$ price range. I also can't determine if a reciever in that range will present strong limitations later on. As for speakers, I could probably get a couple of nice ones that can be integrated into more full system later.

Any suggestions for how to get started with this? Should I just start with cheap equipment and later upgrade, or is my idea to build the system piece-by-piece as I can afford it make sense?

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Here is some help

I like the Onkyo SR601 on review here (can be found for less than $500): http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/onkyo_TX-SR601_review_01.html

It is a good reciever that will keep you in the loop as far as upgrading goes.

For speakers....the Dayton Audio 5.1 Home theater system sounds good, and is nice and small for an apartment, and they are only 149.88 They are found here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-660

You can always get better speakers later on.

As a MAC nut I would hard wire the iPod to the reciever. Just use a mini jack to Stereo RCA found here (I use the same thing for my MAC media server and it works fine:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=240-135

I would spend some cash on a good solid DVD player, you can get a multi-disk player and you can use it as a CD changer.

I like Yamakawa DVD players: www.yamakawa.de

Total for your system would run about $800 with a new DVD player....not to bad. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't skimp on a A/V receiver unless you want to have to upgrade again later on. Component video is the big kicker as most A/V receivers only switch two component inputs and you are very likely to have three before you know it.
1. HD cable/sat
2. DVD
3. Game system (PS2/X-Box/Game Cube)

You may also want a receiver that upconverts from S-Video/Composite to component. This isn't huge, but gives you component on-screen feedback and makes switching of devices easier for the end user (ie: your wife)

A small speaker package is almost definitely the way to go in your apartment. You can always use the speakers in different locations later on when you move into a house if you want. I got some cheap Kenwood speakers that I am putting in my basement (2) and garage (2) for additonal audio zones.

Audio zones: You can get a lot of bang for the buck by utilizing the zone 2 and zone 3 outputs on an A/V receiver. If video is included, it means that you can start a pay-per-view movie, or DVD in your main viewing area, then finish the movie in your room or elsewhere in the house. Zone 3 could go to a amplifier/speaker box for whole house audio.

I am a fan of Yamaha products for phenomenal engineering improvements over the last few years and consistency in reliability. The RX-V2500 falls at the upper end of your spectrum, but would likely last you 5-10 years - or more - doing all you want it to do and giving you excellent versatility.

I agree that a DVD changer is excellent - if you can keep track of 300 DVDs in one machine... I can't, so I won't get one without a management system, that's what my bookcase is for right now.

I also have an MP3 server (iMerge) and have my PC hooked up to inputs on the A/V system - it's a great way to pipe audio into the main listening area, and later throughout your home. Distributed audio really makes a home fun.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Switching for 3 sets of component inputs is getting more common, even in cheaper receivers. It's a big plus, although it's hard to predict how long component will be relevant (vs DVI or HDMI). My guess is that component vid will stick around for quite awhile, but you never know.

I'm anxious for the day that a DVD changer will come along that I can live with. Unfortunately, I've tried a few and found them all wanting. Mechanical noise & slow recognition & exchange times plague all the models I've seen. That may not be a big deal if you use it strictly for movies, but why should you have to? A good DVD player should perform well with Redbook CD, too- but who can tolerate 15-35 seconds time to skip discs? I can cross the room, change it myself & have the old disc refiled in my rack and still make it to the fridge for a beer faster than that! :p

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
Can anybody give some general considerations that I should consider, I'm having a hard time finding simple comparisons about reciever quality across the 2-400$ price range. I also can't determine if a reciever in that range will present strong limitations later on. As for speakers, I could probably get a couple of nice ones that can be integrated into more full system later.

Any suggestions for how to get started with this? Should I just start with cheap equipment and later upgrade, or is my idea to build the system piece-by-piece as I can afford it make sense?
From my own insight, I would never recommend to anyone to start on a cheap equipment. Upgrading on a cheap equipment is like building additional floors on a shaky foundation. You can only go so far. It is in fact ironic that most inexpensive gears out there have little or no room for upgrade or expansion. Those preamp outputs that are so vital when upgrading to a higher power with external power amps are often found only on mid-to-flagship receivers. Not on entry level receivers. Even those facilties for firmware upgrades are not found on cheap entry level receivers. There could ofcourse be exceptions that I am not aware of.

You could look into pre-owned stuff of 1-2 year old gears that I consider to offer so much more value for the money. I think your $400 budget can bring you somewhere if you look in that direction. Many mid-to-high end stuff can be sourced from the pre-owned sites on the net at less than half their original street prices. They often come in mint condition too as owners of these are very meticulous and careful with their pricey stuff. Their financial muscle in the hobby allows them to upgrade to new gears very often, coupled with a high boredom rate that makes them itch for new toys almost every year. And precisely because of their financial clout, they often dispose off their old stuff almost for a song. So do check the net. Ebay is a start, but you can google search for some model ID of recievers or amps of previous years.

And I would suggest you go piece by piece, maximizing your budget with the best value it can get. Rather than spread it thinly across mediocre gears just because they can fit within your budget. Just my thoughts.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It's a fine line. It's all well and good to buy better than you think you need now, but it would be a shame to save for a couple years to buy something really upscale and have nothing in the interim.

You can do just the opposite and have a lot of fun. Considering buying something just to get your feet wet, something to get you started. As you learn more you'll get a better idea what to upgrade next. And of course you'll have the fun of hearing & seeing each improvement as you go! :D The castoffs can be the foundation of a 2nd system (in the shop, den, garage, etc) or can be resold to finance "the habit." Perhaps they can form the beginnings of a system for a newbie friend or relative. I've started many a dewey-eyed novice down the road to ruin with my hand-me-downs! :p

Beegowl

Beegowl

Junior Audioholic
Good Suggestions

Getting started,
a couple of philosophies at work in the posts. I tend to agree with Rob, get what you can afford and enjoy it, Meanwhile, you develop a better ear, your budget gets better, and you can continue to research components.

I've stated before in this forum, no matter how much I spend today on audio equipment, I end up spending more at some point. That's just the way it works. The quest for better sound never ends. I used to tell my ex-wife, "I'm looking for the perfect speakers." "Try to find 'em for fifty bucks, okay?" She'd reply. Hey, what does she know?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all the comments.

First, I don’t quite understand the necessity of a better DVD player. We don’t have a library/extensive collection and mostly rent or go with Netflix although we haven’t started that up again. I can’t see the use of multi-disc and don’t understand what our current DVD player won’t do that a new one will.

Thanks for tips on features to watch for, I’ll definitely keep those in mind while shopping around. I also like the idea of doing some bottom-feeding and picking up somebody’s upgrade leftovers.

Ultimately I would like to have multiple audio zones, so I’ll keep that in mind. I see that the iMerge allows simultaneous playback of Mp3s in different zones, but other than this what is the advantage of that over simply streaming from the computer or playback from the iPod, both of which I’ve already invested in?

As for dealing with the interim, we've been saving for starting up an audio system for 3yrs now because I wanted to make sure I did it right instead of buying some package Bose deal (which after reading on this site, I am quite happy that I did not!!!) We have been listening to the worst audio for DVD playback that entire time (with the ancient crappy sony set), and haven't had TV or VHS sound coming through the system. Almost anything will be better than this so the "interim" prior to full system set-up has no where to go but up from here.

That being said is it better to have a small 5 speaker set up, or a decent pair of mid-sized 2, 2 1/2, or 3 way speakers? Would it be necessary to have a dedicated bass woofer with such a set up? Ultimately I'd like to have a great sound set up with great speakers to give precise sound clarity.

Right now, the best it gets is my sennenheiser headphones on the iPod.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Unregistered said:
I see that the iMerge allows simultaneous playback of Mp3s in different zones, but other than this what is the advantage of that over simply streaming from the computer or playback from the iPod, both of which I’ve already invested in?
There is no advantage really. The iMerge is a dedicated music server though. It is on all the time and has very intuitive tools and on screen menus for controlling it. This is nice for the less 'techie' in my home who want their music.

Well, and I have (when my house is finished) Crestron controlling everything and will be able to recall playlists and skip through music from any room in the house by touching a button. It has a certain appeal to me for that.

The bottom line with digital music servers is that they are like 400 disc changers that can play any song from any disc in one, two, or more rooms (different songs at the same time!) at any time. It is part of your audio system, so it's always there and ready. No separate PC to deal with, no iPod to try to track down when one of the kids, or wife has it. It's in the rack, ready to go.

Just another piece of gear though.

For speakers... Geez, I got really cheap surround, as I said before and was happy for 3 years until I got my good stuff. If you can't get great speakers, and you want them, then you may want to consider how much stereo stuff you watch vs. surround. You DEFINITELY want a powered subwoofer at some point early on as it provides a lot of atmosphere to your viewing. But, if you have nothing now, then maybe a $300.00 set of speakers will do you for a while and then you can reuse those speakers in other rooms when you start getting newer, better speakers. Or maybe you get a decent pair of fronts/center then cheap surrounds.

It's kind of a weird question... I guess 'how much money you got to blow?' is what is needed here. What speakers do you really want? What timeframe do you want them in? How important is surround?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis