Getting Audio to Speakers - Challenging Setup

S

se817396

Audiophyte
I have a unique situation and hoping someone could help. Attached is a diagram. I have a TV on my patio (connected to a TiVO Mini) and I want to be able to utilize my existing in-ceiling wired speakers. The speakers home run to my family room where I have a Sonos Amp with a speaker selection box. I have a conduit under my patio to run additional cable, however I am unable to get the cable to the Sonos so I can't simply run a digital audio between point A and point B and convert it to RCA analog to plug into the Sonos.

Option #1 - Purchase a Bluetooth transmitter and plus the digital audio cable form the TiVo mini and broadcast it to a bluetooth receiver in the family room. On the bluetooth receiver side, convert to RCA analog and plug into the input on the Sonos. Problem could be the Bluetooth length. It's 40+ feet with many obstructions (exterior walls, stone, brick, entertainment centers, etc).

Option #2 - Purchase a small amplifier to sit next to the Tivo. Connect the digital audio to the amp. Run speaker wire through the conduit to the basement. Run the speaker wire up the wall to the existing speaker in-wall volume control box (not in use). Instead of doing in-wall volume control, I install a A/B input selector switch and connect the incoming speaker wire from the Sonos as A and the speaker wire from the new amplifier as B. When I want to listen to Sonos, set it to A and when I want to hear the TV audio I set it to B. Not connected to the Sonos but might be a good setup due to my limitations of getting a wire to the Sonos.

I'm curious if anyone has feedback on these options or another option I haven't thought of? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Bluetooth has a much bigger issue in that it will run .5 seconds or so behind the video. It will NEVER be something you are happy with.

What is the cat-6 currently being used for? Where is it run to? A better option would be to put the Tivo in by the Sonos and use an HDMI extender out to the TV. You may need an audio extractor to get the audio out of the Tivo. So, audio to the Sonos and HDMI from the Tivo to the TV over cat-6 extender. There are extenders that also carry network across them if you need that. But, that's the way I would go.

There is also a device called a Sonance ASAP1 which kind of automatically handles switching between a local source and a whole house system...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonance-ASAP1-Mini-Stereo-Amp-20WX2-A-B-Auto-Switching-Video-Trigger/254265988931?hash=item3b336f1743:g:gfcAAOSwPn1c~UKU

It's been a while since I've used one of those, but they do work. Worth finding a manual and see if that works in place of needing a manual A-B switch if you go that route.

S

se817396

Audiophyte
Thank you for the detailed response, it's very helpful. I will rule out Bluetooth. Today I found the speaker wire that runs from my Sonos to my patio speakers and it runs up the wall right next to the conduit that leads to the TiVo on the patio. So, now I'm thinking I can easily cut that wire...run a new speaker wire to the patio Tivo and then run a return speaker wire back through the coduit and splice it back into the existing wiring that lead to the in-ceiling patio speakers.

With this new discovery, I will now have the ability to use the Sonance ASAP1. I assume that if I don't have audio coming to the Sonance ASAP1 but do from the TiVo...it will automatically switch over. Only complication could be in a situation where we wanted to just have the TV on but listen to whole house audio playing. I think I would have to go into the TiVo and disable the Digital Audio Out. All my patio equipment is in a cubby that isn't easily accessible but I have remote extenders. So I'm thinking a SMSL Q5 Pro Digital Amplifier 2-50W USB/Coaxial/Optical with Remote Control and the Sonance ASP1. Unless you can suggest 1 device that would do it all. (sorry it won't let me post a link since I'm new, but found that on Amazon.)

One other side question. The incoming signal via speaker wire from the Sonos is already amplified, will that cause any issue with any of the solutions?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Here is the manual for the ASAP1 which I linked above. It includes speaker amplification built in and it does a very solid job of powering speakers out of the box.

https://www.sonance.com/assets/media/files/downloads/Sonamp_ASAP1_Manual.pdf

The 'whole house' audio is the default audio which is used until audio is received from the TV audio output, which needs to be a variable audio output, or run through a volume control after the amp. Yes, it looks like if you want to listen to whole house audio while watching TV, you will need to disable the audio out of the TV in some manner.

S

se817396

Audiophyte
I have installed the Sonance ASAP1 and it works great! One final problem. For input B, I'm using the Digital Audio Out from the back of the Tivo mini. It goes into the converter you recommended and then I'm using RCA input for input B into the Sonance. The problem is that I no longer have any volume control. I know I can adjust volume on the Sonance manually, but that device is in a cabinet that isn't accessible.

So I need to be able to control volume when Input B (Tivo) is in use. I thought about using an PAC LC-1 Remote Amplifier Level Controller and mount the knob where I can get to it. This would installed on the input to the Sonance so I'm not sure if it would effectively control volume or not? The other option is to figure out how to get a speaker volume knob after the speaker output on the Sonance. I just don't have a spot for it. I could also convert the RCA to a 3.5 mini and headphone wire with volume control.

Ideally I would like to control the volume using a remote control (i have IR available) but I can't find anything so the options above are the options I'm considering.

S

se817396

Audiophyte
I did find this on Amazon (can't post link sorry). Seems like it will solve my problem as long as it will lower the volume.

Optical to RCA, Digital to Analog Audio Converter, Optical to Analog Converter with Remote, DAC Converter Support 192KHz/24bit with IR Remote Control, Optical Cable and Power Adapter

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think this is the product...
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Digital-Converter-Support-Including/dp/B07FCKQPGT/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=optical+to+RCA,+Digital+to+Analog+Audio+Converter,+Optical+to+Analog+Converter+with+Remote,+DAC+Converter+Support+192KHz/24bit+with+IR+Remote+Control,+Optical+Cable+and+Power+Adapter&qid=1562337480&s=gateway&sr=8-1

GREAT FIND!

They make so much cool stuff these days!

Sometimes, what people do, is they use the 'audio out' port on the back of the TV. So, you hook the Tivo up to the TV directly, or a local game system, or whatever, and then when the TV is on, the audio out from the TV goes to the Sonance and you adjust volume in the TV. Unfortunately, with newer TVs, they don't have a analog audio output, so you are SOL. But, that product with the built-in volume control for the analog audio looks completely perfect and like a great solution.

Thumbs up on that find.

S

se817396

Audiophyte
I think this is the product...

GREAT FIND!

They make so much cool stuff these days!

Sometimes, what people do, is they use the 'audio out' port on the back of the TV. So, you hook the Tivo up to the TV directly, or a local game system, or whatever, and then when the TV is on, the audio out from the TV goes to the Sonance and you adjust volume in the TV. Unfortunately, with newer TVs, they don't have a analog audio output, so you are SOL. But, that product with the built-in volume control for the analog audio looks completely perfect and like a great solution.

Thumbs up on that find.

Thank you. This seems like the quickest (and cheapest) solution to my problem. I'll report back once I have it all setup. I appreciate the help on this project, you have been very helpful. I ended up getting the Sonance ASAP1 for opening bid on eBay for $12 and it works great for auto-switching.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis