Gene's home theater and stereo set up in the same room

R

Ron Bates

Enthusiast
I'm interested in using the same room for stereo as well as home theater. I saw on YouTube Gene's D. room and wondered how is all the equipment connected together and what equipment does he have? I know he has $50,000 L & R speakers. So I assume he has excellent equipment. Can someone tell me what he does to make this possible. thanks,

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Not exactly sure what you’re asking here. If you have a (for example) 5.1 channel home theater system with any typical AVR, you can certainly use that same system for music without any modifications. All AVR’s should have a “stereo” setting that allows you to listen in 2-channel mode (as well as several other music modes). This isn’t dependent on a high-priced system, as basic AVRs will be perfectly capable of handling this. Spending more (smartly) will get you:
1. Better sound via better speakers
2. Better Sound via better speakers
3. Better sound via better subwoofer
4. Better sound via a second subwoofer
5. Additional channels for home theater (7 channel or Dolby Atmos)
6. Better source components
7. Additional features or more power through an upgraded AVR
8. Better sound through acoustic room treatments

R

Ron Bates

Enthusiast
Not exactly sure what you’re asking here. If you have a (for example) 5.1 channel home theater system with any typical AVR, you can certainly use that same system for music without any modifications. All AVR’s should have a “stereo” setting that allows you to listen in 2-channel mode (as well as several other music modes). This isn’t dependent on a high-priced system, as basic AVRs will be perfectly capable of handling this. Spending more (smartly) will get you:
1. Better sound via better speakers
2. Better Sound via better speakers
3. Better sound via better subwoofer
4. Better sound via a second subwoofer
5. Additional channels for home theater (7 channel or Dolby Atmos)
6. Better source components
7. Additional features or more power through an upgraded AVR
8. Better sound through acoustic room treatments
My system: 7.2.4: Sopra 2 L & R + Sopra center channel, 2 JL E112 subs, 8 B & W inwalls (4 celing, 4 surrounds. ) Integra DRC R1 AVR, NAD M27 amp for front 3 speakers and 4 surrounds, Rotel amp for 4 celing speakers. OPPO 203 DVD player, Rotel 1072 CD player. tube traps in the corners. my room 15' W X 22' long X 8' high. I have been listening to some 2 channel systems that I think sound better than mine which I think it sounds good. One local home theater store suggests to drive the Sopra 2 with a lexman integrated amp with Home theater pass through. PS audio suggests to use 2 - M700 amps+ their gain cell DAC. Maybe an outboard DAC will help? Should I upgrade my CD player? I believe my speakers are good so I'm more curious about Amps and/or processors to consider and how to integrate an integrated amp or separate amp. What would be a logical upgrade for me to see if the Stereo sound improves?
The system you describe above looks like Gene has a Denon for HT and a NAD AVR for 2 channel. and he doesn't have separates involved with 2 channel? thanks for your input.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Why not try and post a question to Gene instead!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
That's a pretty nice setup as you describe it. I'm not a believer that amps change the sound of a system unless what you're running is underpowered, and yours doesn't sound like that's the case. When you say other systems "sound better," what do you mean by that? Could it be anything to do with the way you have the Integra configured for 2-ch listening? If you've really got the upgrade bug, speakers are always where I would start. I would def not spend money on an outboard DAC or replacing a CD player.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like a nice setup but you don't talk about the room at all, so makes me wonder if that's the key here. It's the greatest contributor beyond the speakers, and certainly sounds like your electronics are sufficient.

FWIW we joke about PS Audio as BS Audio in another group I participate in what with the nonsense Paul McGowan spreads, their snake oil products and even something like how badly their ultra expensive dac measured. I wouldn't take any advice from them whatsoever.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
That's a pretty nice setup as you describe it. I'm not a believer that amps change the sound of a system unless what you're running is underpowered, and yours doesn't sound like that's the case. When you say other systems "sound better," what do you mean by that? Could it be anything to do with the way you have the Integra configured for 2-ch listening? If you've really got the upgrade bug, speakers are always where I would start. I would def not spend money on an outboard DAC or replacing a CD player.
Unless those others systems(speakers) are confined to the same boundaries as his current speakers they should sound different possibly better in some ways and slightly uglier in others.

A lot of psycho-acoustics comes into play. It’s also very reasonable that those systems may “not” sound has impressive in his room.

Anyone who has been lucky enough to move into several new homes while using the same gear gets the pleasure of going through all the critiquing again and well again!

It highly likely some will miss their old room and others thankful they moved!

No speaker system is capable for every situation and components can come up short or be considered overkill.

To be completely truthful one eventually has to stop looking for the holy grail of 2 channel and HT arrangements and finally accept good as enough!

It’s not possible to blend a HT and 2 channel setup like a HTib. Those that know 2 channel setups take painstaking effort to maximize their stereo imaging. Those speaker placements are not normally ideal for HT which makes much more use of boundary gain whereas 2 channel is all about eliminating boundary coloration to the direct sound!

So I make my last point to leave this post as... someone will always have a more impressive system out there somewhere. Unless you have the exact same ingredients together your wasting your time. It’s all compensations to counter balance some flaw in the setup nothing more and certainly not a thing less and don’t ever forget it!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unless those others systems(speakers) are confined to the same boundaries as his current speakers they should sound different possibly better in some ways and slightly uglier in others.

A lot of psycho-acoustics comes into play. It’s also very reasonable that those systems may “not” sound has impressive in his room.

Anyone who has been lucky enough to move into several new homes while using the same gear gets the pleasure of going through all the critiquing again and well again!

It highly likely some will miss their old room and others thankful they moved!

No speaker system is capable for every situation and components can come up short or be considered overkill.

To be completely truthful one eventually has to stop looking for the holy grail of 2 channel and HT arrangements and finally accept good as enough!

It’s not possible to blend a HT and 2 channel setup like a HTib. Those that know 2 channel setups take painstaking effort to maximize their stereo imaging. Those speaker placements are not normally ideal for HT which makes much more use of boundary gain whereas 2 channel is all about eliminating boundary coloration to the direct sound!
I've moved enough gear in and out of same/different rooms too. However, just what would not work for good 2ch imaging and would not suffice for L/R speakers for an HT setup?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I've moved enough gear in and out of same/different rooms too. However, just what would not work for good 2ch imaging and would not suffice for L/R speakers for an HT setup?
It’s easy to cheat with HT or for example move the mains closer to a corner for more room gain on lower frequencies at a cost of mid and high frequencies integration. Good stereo imaging wouldn’t be the primary goal here just more output from the lows.

If good or rather optimal imaging is the goal that same placement for 2 channel listening is not best.

In simple terms opportunity cost is all about sacrificing one wanted thing for another more wanted thing!

If you are interested in that higher output the low frequencies gain through corner loading and are willing to sacrifice some of the sound quality that really is a personal preference!

That’s is definitely what this is really all about too each their own at the end of the day. No one can please everyone with one setup for both 2 ch and HT.

Let’s face the truth here. 2 ch has a different intention than HT. By no means am I saying that by some miraculous turn of events that the 2 ch speaker location is not capable of being by default the best for HT in someone’s setup but “I’d doubt that” and that is “the compromise for good enough” otherwise you need two identical rooms to optimize(best) each setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s easy to cheat with HT or for example move the mains closer to a corner for more room gain on lower frequencies at a cost of mid and high frequencies integration. Good stereo imaging wouldn’t be the primary goal here just more output from the lows.

If good or rather optimal imaging is the goal that same placement for 2 channel listening is not best.

In simple terms opportunity cost is all about sacrificing one wanted thing for another more wanted thing!

If you are interested in that higher output the low frequencies gain through corner loading and are willing to sacrifice some of the sound quality that really is a personal preference!

That’s is definitely what this is really all about too each their own at the end of the day. No one can please everyone with one setup for both 2 ch and HT.

Let’s face the truth here. 2 ch has a different intention than HT. By no means am I saying that by some miraculous turn of events that the 2 ch speaker location is not capable of being by default the best for HT in someone’s setup but “I’d doubt that” and that is “the compromise for good enough” otherwise you need two identical rooms to optimize(best) each setup.
Oh I'm quite pleased with my several multich setups for both 2ch and ht use. I setup my L/R speakers then everything follows. The corner loading thing would be a pretty specific situation IMO. I use each room just the way I want it, too, which may alleviate some issues others have in using the same rooms. None of my rooms is ideal for a theater (or even just 2ch music really) so there's that as well. You just made it sound like it couldn't work and I've yet to see anyone make a particularly good argument for the must be separate room thing without very particular setups in mind.

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
My system: 7.2.4: Sopra 2 L & R + Sopra center channel, 2 JL E112 subs, 8 B & W inwalls (4 celing, 4 surrounds. ) Integra DRC R1 AVR, NAD M27 amp for front 3 speakers and 4 surrounds, Rotel amp for 4 celing speakers. OPPO 203 DVD player, Rotel 1072 CD player. tube traps in the corners. my room 15' W X 22' long X 8' high. I have been listening to some 2 channel systems that I think sound better than mine which I think it sounds good. One local home theater store suggests to drive the Sopra 2 with a lexman integrated amp with Home theater pass through. PS audio suggests to use 2 - M700 amps+ their gain cell DAC. Maybe an outboard DAC will help? Should I upgrade my CD player? I believe my speakers are good so I'm more curious about Amps and/or processors to consider and how to integrate an integrated amp or separate amp. What would be a logical upgrade for me to see if the Stereo sound improves?
The system you describe above looks like Gene has a Denon for HT and a NAD AVR for 2 channel. and he doesn't have separates involved with 2 channel? thanks for your input.
Focal Sopra No 2 are great speakers. I’m curious to what kind of speakers were in these 2 channel systems you feel sound better than yours.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
T
Oh I'm quite pleased with my several multich setups for both 2ch and ht use. I setup my L/R speakers then everything follows. The corner loading thing would be a pretty specific situation IMO. I use each room just the way I want it, too, which may alleviate some issues others have in using the same rooms. None of my rooms is ideal for a theater (or even just 2ch music really) so there's that as well. You just made it sound like it couldn't work and I've yet to see anyone make a particularly good argument for the must be separate room thing without very particular setups in mind.
There is always something lost for something gained!

Even if the gain in quality sound is negligible at best it will be exploited as the next best thing since sliced bread!

Like you I did my best to come to a happy medium for my HT while preserving as much quality as my speakers allow for 2 ch listening.

I do spend more of my time with HT because I’m not a huge fan of today’s music and I’ve heard the same old tunes to the point they don’t stir any emotions anymore.

The fun for me is immersive video and being throttled with impactful sound.

I don’t see any advantage to arguing for any of the points I shared in my previous post since I really doubt your looking for any approval here and I certainly wasn’t either! Were two audio gear heads with much of the same opinions, however where would be the fun if we didn’t once in a while rattle some ones cage o_O to futile debate!

Were playing in an industry that cherishes it’s graphs, readouts, and gauges a forsakes good old hearing. If seeing can be a good source for believing then hearing makes a mighty good argument to that end as well.

By the way I took the red pill this morning choked on it 3 times then saw the light finally waking up from my dream state and said what the heck and swallowed the blue pill. Somehow I ended up here rambling on about the passion we are all victims of and satisfied with my disillusioned like state came to the conclusion I’m hopelessly lost but at leading not alone:D;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
T

There is always something lost for something gained!

Even if the gain in quality sound is negligible at best it will be exploited as the next best thing since sliced bread!

Like you I did my best to come to a happy medium for my HT while preserving as much quality as my speakers allow for 2 ch listening.

I do spend more of my time with HT because I’m not a huge fan of today’s music and I’ve heard the same old tunes to the point they don’t stir any emotions anymore.

The fun for me is immersive video and being throttled with impactful sound.

I don’t see any advantage to arguing for any of the points I shared in my previous post since I really doubt your looking for any approval here and I certainly wasn’t either! Were two audio gear heads with much of the same opinions, however where would be the fun if we didn’t once in a while rattle some ones cage o_O to futile debate!

Were playing in an industry that cherishes it’s graphs, readouts, and gauges a forsakes good old hearing. If seeing can be a good source for believing then hearing makes a mighty good argument to that end as well.

By the way I took the red pill this morning choked on it 3 times then saw the light finally waking up from my dream state and said what the heck and swallowed the blue pill. Somehow I ended up here rambling on about the passion we are all victims of and satisfied with my disillusioned like state came to the conclusion I’m hopelessly lost but at leading not alone:D;)
In the end I think it was just the semantics. Not much absolute about anything in home audio for the most part, it's full of compromises (like our rooms).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis