General impressions of Onkyo products

L

LOUMFSG

Junior Audioholic
I am fairly new to this site, and I have noticed in the short time that I have been here that there doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion regarding Onkyo. There seem to be tons of posts discussing Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK and some others, but rarely is Onkyo mentioned. The only Onkyo product I own is a tape deck that I bought in 1983. I actually still own the deck, and it still sounds and works great (it is in AuPair's bedroom). I am just curious as to why Onkyo doesn't seem to come up very often in threads on this site.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
They are a respectable company. I like their TXNR901 receiver, but feel you can get better units at lower pricing. Integra, Onkyo's high end line, has had some quality control issues as well as poor PR. I think that may drive prospects away.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm definitely an Onkyo fan. I've had quite a few over the years (and currently) and never had one single problem. More people here own Yamaha and Denon than any other receiver so that is why there is less talk of Onkyo.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I think Onkyo is a good company that gets lost in the shuffle with other good companies. Their products seem to be priced fairly and I think a lot of what Onkyo produces is pretty nice. One note though, my second DVD player was an Onkyo, and it broke 3 weeks after the warranty was up and I received zero satisfaction from either Onkyo or the retailer. The other 2 DVD players I've had have never broken, and in my opinion the Panasonic DVD player that I'm currently using kicks the Onkyo's butt. Not really fair as the Onkyo was an older model, even when I bought it new.

B

brendy

Audioholic
Onkyo has a long history of making excellent components,especially receivers.Right now the 503 is one of the best budget receivers out there.I own the 602.Very pleased with it.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Im an Integra owner. I use the DPS 6.5 universal player and could not be happier. Very well built with good quality componets inside. Plus a 3 YEAR warranty.

I have always been impressed with Onkyo especially in the budget sector.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Onkyo Fan Here

I received my first Onkyo System for my 16th Birthday 7 years ago. It was a discontinued florr model but the price was right (If I remember right it came with a 5 surround speakers, a receiver, a seperate tuner, dual tape deck and a 6 disk CD changer for something like $700 way below what they were actually sold for). While I did have some troubles with the receiver the repairs were totally covered under the CC's extended warranty. Just this year I bought the 502. It is a lower end receiver but I believe it is a great product. I have been totally happy with it. The old receiver and speakers are still running at my brother-in-law's and I still have (and use) the CD player and tape deck (Not used all that much). So you can say I will always be a big fan of Onkyo products. I too have noticed the shear lack of Onkyo related products around here. Good Thread.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
I own an...

...Onkyo MC35TECH mini system...three-disc changer, an am-fm receiver rated 20Wpc@4Ohms and two bookshelf, bass-reflex speakers...cost $400USD...add a powered sub(for which it has an output jack) and you would have what I consider pretty good bang-for-the-buck material...

jimHJJ(...at least I think so...)

T

trw005

Audioholic Intern
The Onkyo SR503

Nothing touches this receiver until you double or triple the cost of it. Build, features, and rich-detailed sound. (Yes, receivers sound different) Then the high current HK's, NAD and separates kick in. Oh that middle market stuff, why bother. sometimes i'm smug lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis