Genelec connections

Audiophyte
I'm trying to connect an older set of Genelecs (HT205) to a new Pioneer Elite receiver. Unsure of the cable connections. Can't find analogue RCA to bare wire or banana plugs. And if I wanted to use the XLR input on the Genelecs, what would that terminate to on the receiver end?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Your receiver must have main-channel RCA outputs to connect to the Genelecs. If yours doesn’t you’re out of luck. You can’t use the receiver’s speaker outputs. The Genelec’s inputs are expecting a signal of a few milliwatts at most, not countless dozens of watts from an amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
don't worry about XLR. If you don't have pre-outs on your AVR - you're out of luck as Wayne mentioned.
We don't know if it does since you didn't mentioned the model (Elite is whole series of products, not a specific model name)

R

rolf.taylor

Enthusiast
Actually, you can build or buy a "Pad" that drops the speaker levels from your receiver down to line level. Or, if your easy to make a pad. Do you know how to solder? Genelec ap note includes the proper resistors to solder inside the XLR shell. These are nice speakers. As with most studio monitors they are revealing, so bad mixes will sound bad (they won't pretty things up for you). The good things about powered speakers (IIRC these are bi-amped) is you actually get the power claimed, even with all channels driven simultaneously.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually, you can build or buy a "Pad" that drops the speaker levels from your receiver down to line level. Or, if your easy to make a pad. Do you know how to solder? Genelec ap note includes the proper resistors to solder inside the XLR shell. These are nice speakers. As with most studio monitors they are revealing, so bad mixes will sound bad (they won't pretty things up for you). The good things about powered speakers (IIRC these are bi-amped) is you actually get the power claimed, even with all channels driven simultaneously.
Those speakers do not have an XLR connection.

If his receiver does not have a pre out then it is difficult and risky. If he makes a mistake he will be out a new receiver.

You are probably better of buying a speaker level to line converter.

I should point out this is far from an optimal solution. You really need a receiver with pre/out or a pre/pro.

They don't seem to be a top of the line mini monitor by a long shot though.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If this was similar to the 206, then it would have an XLR and a RCA input.

CRAP! I just got suckered into a massive necrobump!!!
WTF @rolf.taylor ???? Don't post in 4 year old topics!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis