R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve had a chance to play with this for the last couple of days. I’ve been using my iPad as the remote. Gear4 hasn’t released a version specific for iPad so I’m using the iPod/iPhone version. Gear4 does have an iPad version in the works so iPad users won’t have to use that crummy x2 feature. For those of you who don’t know, the UnityRemote system is basically an IR transmitter that receives commands via Bluetooth from your iPhone/iPod/iPhone. The transmitter costs $99 while the software is free through Apple’s App Store. In any case, here are some of my impressions.

Packaging: The UnityRemote transmitter came in a box that felt like an Apple design. Inside contains the transmitter itself, a small instruction manual, and 3 lithium batteries which was nice as most items come with alkaline batteries.

Code Database: I found Unity’s code database quite limiting when compared to Logitech’s Harmony line of remotes. The good news is that the system learns commands so you only need the original remotes to teach it. I also found that the Unity software isn’t capable of programming double buttons. For example, my Epson projector requires you to hit power twice in order to turn the unit off. There was nowhere to program this into the power down feature of the Unity. Instead, you have to create a separate action and power it down manually after everything else. A bit annoying.

Range: I placed the Unity transmitter all over my living room and it had no trouble finding all my components every time. As for the iPad, I found I could use it from several rooms away, but Bluetooth’s range is limited so the connection went dead eventually. A nice thing about the Unity system is that you can control Zone 2 functions from another room without the need for additional hardware in that room.

Usage: I found the software to be easy enough to navigate. It takes a little getting use to, but you don’t need a Ph.D. to find your way around. I did find the software crashes sometimes and is a bit buggy in some areas. For example, when you’re inside an action such as “Watch TV” and clicking the channel up or down, the remote will remind you that you can hold the button down instead of clicking away. If you dismiss this help message and ask it not to pop up again, you will still get the delay when clicking away as if the message box is coming up and closing immediately.

The software comes with only a few templates: Watch TV, Watch Movie, and Listen Radio. You can choose custom and create your own which wasn’t too difficult, but it would have been nice if they included some additional templates.

The Actions tab is where you go to see these items listed. When you first enter an action after initial setup, you’re asked to customize the buttons. You have 9 boxes where you assign any keys you want. You can also go several screens deep if you need more than 9 which in most cases you will. It’s obvious the software right now is designed with a smaller screen in mind so it’ll be nice if they include more boxes per screen for the iPad version as 9 is pretty limiting.

Gestures: Gestures are an interesting feature. What these do is allow you to set how you want your device to respond to a swipe up, down, left, right, or center press. You can assign any keys you wish and they can be customized per action.

Overall: I found the Unity to be in need of some polish and refinement. It isn’t quite up to the usability level of your typical Harmony remote. It does have several advantages and the user interface is quite pretty on an iPhone or iPod Touch so the potential exists. However, it does lack that tactile feel of an actual remote as you can’t easily pick up your device and start clicking away. I’m going to live with it for another week and see if this is something I want to keep around.

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
just curious. I just purchased my iPad an wonder if u have had better results or found a different app which works better?

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I've stuck with my Harmony for now, but see Crestron just announced something. Not sure how their system works, but looks interesting.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis