Gave the Receiver a workout - 2500

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
For any of you that have any doubts about the ability of the amplifier section in the RX-V2500 to handle low impedences at high volumes, worry not. I just finished a listening session in which I had the receiver's volume set at about +1 to +3 dB for about an hour playing rock/pop/blues in the "Pure Direct" mode (no sub, speakers full range).

It handled it no problem, no shut downs, but I did have the internal cooling fan (mine is set on AUTO) running almost the whole time after the 1st 15 minutes or so. My main speakers are about 88-90dB efficient, and are rated at 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum, they have 2 - 8"woofers, a 6.5" mid, and a 1" dome tweeter. They are Paradigm 11seMk3 if you want to look them up yourself. I have my impedence switch set at 8 ohms. Incidentally, my monsterpower 3600 indicated an average of about 2.5-3 amps draw throughout the session for CD player and receiver on only.

WorkerBee

WorkerBee

Junior Audioholic
Crash,
That does sound like a workout :D , Yamaha is a well respected name with recievers. Good to keep in mind should I ever be lucky enough to get one. :D

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Nothing wrong with the Denon you have...
I just recently sold my Denon 3802 and bought the 2500. It's not that I didn't like the Denon, just wanted to try something different. I DO have an addiction you know...

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
crashguy said:
I DO have an addiction you know...
Ah, don't we all... :cool:

I've given my new 2500 a few harsh beatingw with at least the volume you are talking about running Paradigm Monitor 11's. I too have been nothing short of very pleased with the 2500's performance.

;) :D

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I was pleased too. I guess this thread kinda leads into the one I started about driving 4 ohm speakers vs. 8 ohm speakers. I think its all a bunch-o-B.S.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
i have had my 2500 for 3 days and I already realize I need new mains. My iPod actually sounds pretty good in pure direct to mu suprize.

is there a way to get it to play in 2.1? it seems like I can only get 2 channel or 5.1+

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
It will do 2.1 in "STEREO" as opposed to L+R only in "PURE DIRECT"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis