Gateway XHD3000 30-inch LCD Display Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Gateway's new XHD3000 30-inch LCD display combines the power of an ultra high-resolution PC monitor (2650 x 1600) with an HQV Realta-equipped display that can handle anything from that new HD-DVD player or your HD satellite system. Gateway has taken out all the stops with a display that is flexible, high-performance, beautiful and priced to sell.

Discuss "Gateway XHD3000 30-inch LCD Display Review" here. Read the article.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I see one huge problem with it. It's a Gateway. That's enough to turn me off completely. I'm sure there is somebody in the business with worse customer service but off hand I can't think of any. I've been in information technology for 17 years now and I can't think of one that's worse and still in business.

They are the only computer/consumer electronics company, or company of any kind that I'm aware of that employed a worker to intercept irate consumer letters to the company president before they could be read. That speaks volumes for how many consumer hate letters that they receive and their go pound sand attitude toward customer service. Anyway thanks for the fine review but I'll pass on Gateway products.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Btw, would it be possible for you to do some lag time testing on this beast? That's one thing a lot of gamers look for. Check out: http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm where I did some testing on three 24" monitors. I hooked up the LCDs alongside a CRT and took some high speed shots with a digital camera while using a timing program to see just how bad the lag was. Anyway, if it's possible to add, that would be great. I'd love to see how the new batch of 30 inchers are doing compared to their 24" brotheren. Thanks!

That's a really good idea... I'd have to have a reference (CRT), however, which I really don't - so that might be tough. I DID notice some ghosting on fast pans, so I'm not sure I believe the 6ms timing they tout in their specs. It just varied in real-world and didn't seem to be a major issue for me overall. I played a lot of games on it.

G

gobats

Enthusiast
Gateway XHD3000

I have never met a Gateway Customer Service rep that I liked or at least seemed to like customers.Gateway could not give me anything period

B

bmoshier

Audiophyte
21st Monitor with 1980 suppport (software and end-user)

Hello,

I purchased this monitor 4 days ago and have had both joy and pain with it since.

Pro: I love the PIP support, such as sizing the window, moving, and transparency. While there are limits when using 2560x1600 mode, Gateway denotes these limits up front and discusses how to work around them.

The 2560x1600 is wonderful. The color width / saturation could be better (e.g. like the Dell 3008WFP, but you can't have everything).

The multiple input support works very nicely.

The Con, though, are significant, IMHO.

1) Lacks a Media Card Reader as the Dell 3008WFP or 3007WFP provide. (Minor nit)

2) The color width / saturation is not as good as the Dell 3008WFP (which is at 117% of NTSC and shows it). (Moderate)

3) When I boot my Windows XP Pro x64 system, Windows' Plug & Play asks me to provide the "Gateway XHD3000 driver." Contacting Gateway results in talking to people who simply say "monitors don't need drivers." Yet, I keep getting this message whenever Windows scans for new hardware. So, there are two issues: (A) The software issue with the driver and (B) Gateway is unable support this monitor.

After searching on my own, I found USB device drivers for the XHD3000. When I try to install the driver, Windows says it can't find the hardware associated with the software from Gateway. I pointed this out to Gateway support. Their response was to say they don't know what to say.

At this point, I'm at a loss for where to go for help.

Do YOU know someone at GATEWAY who is willing to take ownership of technical support? If so, please, send them my way. (Major / Critical issues)

Overall:

This really seems to be a 21st monitor but the support is almost 1980 Microsoft with no one wanting to take ownership and/or help.

Bert.

Optical10

Audiophyte
Hello,

3) When I boot my Windows XP Pro x64 system, Windows' Plug & Play asks me to provide the "Gateway XHD3000 driver." Contacting Gateway results in talking to people who simply say "monitors don't need drivers." Yet, I keep getting this message whenever Windows scans for new hardware. So, there are two issues: (A) The software issue with the driver and (B) Gateway is unable support this monitor.

After searching on my own, I found USB device drivers for the XHD3000. When I try to install the driver, Windows says it can't find the hardware associated with the software from Gateway. I pointed this out to Gateway support. Their response was to say they don't know what to say.

At this point, I'm at a loss for where to go for help.

Do YOU know someone at GATEWAY who is willing to take ownership of technical support? If so, please, send them my way. (Major / Critical issues)

Bert.
I too own this monitor and overall I am happy with it. However about your driver issue with USB and XP 64-bit I can concur that I had the same problem with Vista 64-bit until I upgraded the bundled "EzTune CD" software that came with the monitor. I hope you have already solve this problem if not this solution should help.

I myself have a new problem and I was hoping that you could tell me if you have such a problem as well.
When I initially turn on the monitor, for TV or computer use, I get a green single pixel vertical line 1 inch from the right hand side running straight down top to bottom. Although this line disappears after 15 to 20 minutes of use I can't ignore it any longer because as of today it is now joined by a single pixel red vertical line very close to it but not quite next door to the green pixel. Both lines seem to be present with a general shower of red single pixels randomly presenting on and off erratically all over the screen which are visible in black background areas mostly.
I've had the monitor since November 2007 and I'm hoping that this isn't the end for this monitor.

I have had absolutely no joy from Gateway technical support, as they seem to be clueless as many other people have testify to. My problem is also compounded as this model of monitor never sold in the United Kingdom so I had to get a friend to exported it from the States to me in the UK. This also gave Gateway the excuse of washing their hands of any after sales support even under warranty. As you can imagine this is the last Gateway product I will ever purchase which is a shame as this product still has very many unique features like 1080p to 1600p upscaling which the competition still hasn't emulated.

In the meantime I would be grateful if any one who has knowledge of such an issue as the red and green vertical lines and also the cascade of red pixels appearing and disappearing in the warm up time could advise me as to the cause. Here's hoping that I need to upgrade my cabling rather than replace the LCD, fingers crossed.

Cheers :)

Optical10

Audiophyte
Help - European source for replacement Gateway 30" screen needed

As you gusy know from my previous contribution to in this thread I live in the UK and my imported Gateway XHD3000 30" from the states has finally succumbed to the dreaded pixel corruption issues extensively reported on the Internet. I now can't see beyond a 6" inch top to bottom rainbow colored (with white background) pixel corruption on the left hand side. Previous I was able to live with two or three pixels, right hand side, that would disappear after 10 to 15 minutes of warming-up which also started in even the first 12 months of warranty. For the Farmer issue has only just started, ironically a week into upgrading to a HD box.

I have contacted HSN.com but my 12 month warranty has expired and I am awaiting Gateway USA response as Gateway UK no longer exists. But due to my previous contacts with their USA customer support and technical department I am not hopeful of their cooperation in supplying a replacement TFT monitor as they seem to want to wash their hands of any responsibility for this monitors failing hardware.

Has anybody been able to source a original or alternative comparable replacement 30 inch screen from a reputable third party OEM manufacturer or supplier, preferably in the UK or European market? If not I would consider a USA or Taiwanese supplier because looking at the current crop of 30 inch monitors nothing seemed to be close to this monitor with regards to its dual PC display /HD TV credentials even two years after its release. Unless anybody knows that this is not the case with a current or up and coming alternative model am prepared to repair this model at a reasonable cost.

Any arguments for or against repair will be gratefully considered, thanks in advance. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis