KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am so sorry, this has turned out to be a red herring!
The boys mom said he wanted a monitor for Christmas and I asked him about the monitor and he started talking Gaming monitor!
When I asked his mom for specifics on his X-box, this was her response:
Umm we have a misfire. This is for his schooling not gaming. He wants the second monitor to switch between school and his personal laptop so he can use dual screens for zoom and assignments. Then use it for editing videos ...
LOL! The boy had a good plan, but "Busted!"

If anyone can recommend a good general purpose monitor (that is also half-ass decent for gaming) that would not be a bad thing!

Edit: He does play games on the PC. I know X-Box is what he does the most of and that is where my head when he spoke of gaming monitor.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
In this case, IPS/VA panel 24-27" should do the trick. I agree with Trell, most TN panels really had shitty picture especially from sides.
Better color with ASUS ProArt Display PA248QV - see review on RTings
better value with HP VH240a
Not sure this still matters, but IPS all the way IMHO. I've always preferred their image and I don't like LCDs.

Granted, I've got a "gaming" monitor myself so I can't really say anything.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Once you find out the model Xbox, that will help you determine which monitor would work best. Since it is not a PC, freesync or Gsync is not important (AMD/Nvidia)

If it is just the original Xbox One, or Xbox One X, 60hz is fine for gaming. I game on my PC with a 60hz monitor and don't have any issues

Xbox One Series X or S(releasing November 10th has adaptive sync, I am not sure how this plays with monitors, but my guess it wont work due to the HDMI 2.1 requirement and the fact most monitors don't have that.

What I would be on the look out for is a monitor that has HDR, because all versions of the xbox support the enhanced color. If you are not going to go with an HDR Monitor you have a lot of options

1. BenQ EW2780Q ($299) Is above budget, but wait for sale and you have a decent performing HDR Monitor. 350nits brightness will help with HDR Content @1440P. Not the best black uniformity, but overall the best bang for the buck.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
better value with HP VH240a
Just wanted to follow up on this.
The kid ended up with the above HP monitor and is thrilled! He was expecting a larger (and second screen) to add to his value-oriented 15" ASUS laptop screen. However, when he set the screens to both display the same content as a test, he was totally blown away at the level of additional quality this screen offered.
He was also stoked at how well his laptop was able to drive the monitor! He was expecting it to quickly glitch out on his lowly laptop trying to drive all of the extra pixels from the larger screen, but it managed to keep things going much better than he had anticipated. I don't know how much this is a credit to the monitor vs the laptop, but he is a very happy camper!
As always thanks for the advice!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
a very similar (to VH240a) 24" 1080p IPS Monitor from HP, but sans hight adjustment stand, but cheaper price:
At this time it's on sale at $79

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
a very similar (to VH240a) 24" 1080p IPS Monitor from HP, but sans high adjustment stand, but cheaper price:
At this time it's on sale at $79
I have no need for this at all, but that's a steal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis