Gaming console with built in browser?

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
I want use my LCD tv as a monitor for surfing the internet. I prefer to do this with a wired connection. Then use a wireless keyboard and mouse or qwerty keypad and have a 47'' LCD monitor.

Is there a gaming console that has a built in browser and not pre selected 'widgets'? I'm not a gamer really, but a gaming console seems the cheapest route for what I want to do.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
The ps3 has a browser but it's a piece of crap and I really wouldn't recommend using it :/

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
true but you can always install linux onto it and use a real browser such as firefox, although considering the ps3's limited memory capabilities (i think 256mb of ram) i don't think it would run very fast.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
The PS3 is no longer what it use to be, linux has been removed from the get go with the Slims followed by the Fats when you upgraded the firmware to 3.21. I agree with Philip the browser is pretty useless I have used it several times to log on to here to suffer from the occasional freeze up. You would be better off getting a stand alone tower or a cheaper laptop with HDMI output than suffer from that excuse of a web browser.

I'm tell you this even though I'm a big fan of the console, I don't believe in feeding anyone a line of BS I'm a fan not a fanboy.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
true but you can always install linux onto it and use a real browser such as firefox, although considering the ps3's limited memory capabilities (i think 256mb of ram) i don't think it would run very fast.
You can only do that if you buy an older one that doesn't have newer firmware that removed this functionality. That happened about a year ago. I don't know about the Linux side, but if you want to log in via the PS3 OS, you have to be on the latest firmware or it won't let you log on.

The browser on the PS3 sucks. Plain and simple. It is FAR better than widgets, but my PHONE has better browsers.

Last edited:
Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
The PS3 is no longer what it use to be, linux has been removed from the get go with the Slims followed by the Fats when you upgraded the firmware to 3.21. I agree with Philip the browser is pretty useless I have used it several times to log on to here to suffer from the occasional freeze up. You would be better off getting a stand alone tower or a cheaper laptop with HDMI output than suffer from that excuse of a web browser.

I'm tell you this even though I'm a big fan of the console, I don't believe in feeding anyone a line of BS I'm a fan not a fanboy.
this is stupid they removed it. about the only good thing the ps3's browser does for me is gives me access to pandora :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The ps3 has a browser but it's a piece of crap and I really wouldn't recommend using it :/
+10

The PS 3 browser completely blows. You can't even use Hotmail. I don't know if that's just because Sony hates Microsoft or what. Also, if I have to click, "yes" to that damn "Do you want to run the plug-in?" pop up one more God damn time, I'm gonna kill someone.

I actually wanted to do the Linux thing to get around the lame-*** PS browser, but you can't even do that anymore.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis