Gadget for checking wire polarity

S

sandeep

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I am looking for some kinda gadget that could tell if the wire polarity is reversed. I have my home wired for sound and I suspect that one of the main speaker terminals is connected out of phase. I was wondering if anyone knows of a gadget that could tell if the polarity is reversed.
Thanks,
Sandeep</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>The Avia and S&amp;V test discs can check the phase of all your speakers, it generates test tones to test your speakers and tell if on screen if they are out of phase.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Or you can try the low-tech, cheap approach: All you need is a C or D cell battery (standard flashlight/torch battery), a short length of speaker wire with the appropriate plugs for your speaker inputs/outlets on one end and bare wire on the other, and an assistant. Your assistant should have the battery and the wire plugged into the speaker jack by your system. Take the grille off a speaker that is plugged into the outlet you wish to test and observe the movement of the woofer as your assistant holds the negative wire against the negative pole of the battery, and touches the positive wire against the positive pole on your command. The woofer should move outwards. Repeat the test for each speaker outlet. If the woofer moves inwards, there's your reversal.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks much!! That helps.
Sandeep</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis