Funk Audio 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C and 18.1 Subwoofers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Funk Audio (previously Funky Waves) has just tripled their subwoofer lineup with the release of four new models. The 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C, and 18.1, starting at $1350 and going up to $1895. However, what the consumer actually pays for a subwoofer is completely dependent on how they choose to customize it. Funk Audio offers the option to upgrade the driver and amp in each unit, and order a magnetic grill or custom finish. Although price goes up a little bit with each model, the design goals of each subwoofer are different. Two of them are single driver sealed designs, one has a passive radiator and one is vented. It seems that Funk Audio is trying to offer an option for anyone looking for serious performance and a premium fit and finish.

Discuss "Funk Audio 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C and 18.1 Subwoofers Preview" here. Read the article.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i really am floored by how little buzz this new line is generating around here. :confused:

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
i really am floored by how little buzz this new line is generating around here. :confused:
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Feel better? :D

Not much else for me to say: I have little doubt that these subs will perform admirably; hopefully Josh gets his hands on one (or more) of these new Funks.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I'd love to have some FA subs. I'm just too poor :D I'd really like to see all the new products thoroughly tested though.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I read through all the previews....most of those subs fall within my budget for my next sub...since I want a custom build(bamboo likely)...the 15.0 seems most feasible? I would have liked to see more/or another driver option for 15" model...maybe something along the lines of 18" TSADv1...would've set my sights higher because I swore I'd never buy a 18" sub....that;s madness...:D

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
I read through all the previews....most of those subs fall within my budget for my next sub...since I want a custom build(bamboo likely)...the 15.0 seems most feasible? I would have liked to see more/or another driver option for 15" model...maybe something along the lines of 18" TSADv1...would've set my sights higher because I swore I'd never buy a 18" sub....that;s madness...:D
We are working on some more 15" options but it will likely be a while before anything is ready. Right now for the size and price the 18.0C is the best overall. FYI we are working on offering some bamboo finish options at no extra charge for some products. Feel free to contact me to discuss.

Don't be afraid of 18"s, trust me it/they will be your best friend(s) ;)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
We are working on some more 15" options but it will likely be a while before anything is ready. Right now for the size and price the 18.0C is the best overall. FYI we are working on offering some bamboo finish options at no extra charge for some products. Feel free to contact me to discuss.

Don't be afraid of 18"s, trust me it/they will be your best friend(s) ;)
I was listening to my 18" yesterday.
....Just effortless.

The only problem is, I can't afford a second.

In retrospect I think I should have gone with dual 15s over a single 18. just from a cost perspective.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
i'm thinking dream sub setup for my someday home theater will be the new funk 18.0C.

x 4 ;)

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
Can you go into more detail about the 18.1's driver? I believe you mentioned it was an Italian manufacturer?

It appears to use the old style ribbed cone? Is there any disadvantages to this vs the newer tube cone design?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And all subs are available as unpowered versions? :D

D

Docks

Audioholic
I have nothing but good things to say about funk audio. I have the TSAD18 and LMS5400 in separate FW18.0 enclosures, both fantastic. Thanks again Nathan.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
Funk Audio (previously Funky Waves) has just tripled their subwoofer lineup with the release of four new models. The 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C, and 18.1, starting at $1350 and going up to $1895. However, what the consumer actually pays for a subwoofer is completely dependent on how they choose to customize it. Funk Audio offers the option to upgrade the driver and amp in each unit, and order a magnetic grill or custom finish. Although price goes up a little bit with each model, the design goals of each subwoofer are different. Two of them are single driver sealed designs, one has a passive radiator and one is vented. It seems that Funk Audio is trying to offer an option for anyone looking for serious performance and a premium fit and finish.

Discuss "Funk Audio 15.0, 15.3, 18.0C and 18.1 Subwoofers Preview" here. Read the article.

Do you have photos of all the drivers you use? I think a lot of people would love to see the internals ie. drivers, especially when they are spending over $1000.00

It would be nice to know exactly what you are buying.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Some people have a great preference for transmission lines, even for sub-bass systems but there's hardly anywhere to find them, you would have to buy from PMC in U.K. or ask M.D. Carter (Also known as TLS Guy) to assist you with a proper design, not that it's anything wrong with the latter option.... but I don't think he has the time to help everyone in here :p

The thing is, I never seen discussion of this from your side but you seem to be very option on differing ways of making your products. Apart from the fact that a TL sub must be big, I'm confident that it will perform better than any closed or vented box; At least I always had a preference for bass from TL's compared to any closed or vented box solutions.

So are you gonna offer Transmission lines as an option to your subs.

They're gonna be so big and bulky to send so I'm sure DHL and Fedex will easily sponsor this :D

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Can you go into more detail about the 18.1's driver? I believe you mentioned it was an Italian manufacturer?

It appears to use the old style ribbed cone? Is there any disadvantages to this vs the newer tube cone design?
The driver is a very high quality unit, and yes it is made for us in Italy. The "old style" cone is just one of the many proven cone designs around that is still used, as it works very well.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Do you have photos of all the drivers you use? I think a lot of people would love to see the internals ie. drivers, especially when they are spending over $1000.00

It would be nice to know exactly what you are buying.
We have one driver pictured on our site, and we are working on getting some more up.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Some people have a great preference for transmission lines, even for sub-bass systems but there's hardly anywhere to find them, you would have to buy from PMC in U.K. or ask M.D. Carter (Also known as TLS Guy) to assist you with a proper design, not that it's anything wrong with the latter option.... but I don't think he has the time to help everyone in here :p

The thing is, I never seen discussion of this from your side but you seem to be very option on differing ways of making your products. Apart from the fact that a TL sub must be big, I'm confident that it will perform better than any closed or vented box; At least I always had a preference for bass from TL's compared to any closed or vented box solutions.

So are you gonna offer Transmission lines as an option to your subs.

They're gonna be so big and bulky to send so I'm sure DHL and Fedex will easily sponsor this :D
We do not have any plans to offer anything like that, however we still do a lot of custom work, for which we can design anything you like; from ultra compact sealed systems with 10kW+ amplification, to massive high performance bass Horns. In which we can use anything from high quality "off the shelf", to fully custom designed and built, in house, drivers and amplifiers.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
We do not have any plans to offer anything like that, however we still do a lot of custom work, for which we can design anything you like; from ultra compact sealed systems with 10kW+ amplification, to massive high performance bass Horns. In which we can use anything from high quality "off the shelf", to fully custom designed and built, in house, drivers and amplifiers.
Now you're talking :D

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Nathan, how much is the unpowered version of the 15.0?
I would rather not publish passive prices, but feel free to contact us for pricing and information on passive versions, FYI for passive the 18.0C would offer the best deal(and is the same size as the 15.0).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis