FS (possibly): Revel (Ultima 1) Salon's, Studio's, and Voice

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have the itch to upgrade to Salon2's, Studio2's, and Voice2.

I am selling my Salons, Studios, and Voice.

My Revels are all working great and in very good condition.
So I am offering the whole system for $11k + shipping or best offer.

These are going to be a bear to ship, so local pickup would be the best option.

Anyone interested?

- Rich

Attachments

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Beautiful speakers. Any chance of some pics with the grills off?

RichB

RichB

Sure.

The Original 4" Midranges using in the Voice and Salons had a problem with the glue and became scratchy. Revel corrected design and all three midranges are new. The Salons were replaced this year the Voice in 2013.

When the midranges had problems , I thought it was the Tweeters so I replaced the two Salon tweeters. They were probably fine and I still have them. The Voice and Salons have new midranges so those are better than the original.

The left-rear Studio has a dent in the tweeter from when my kids were young. I have 4 spare tweeters, so I will replace this tweeter this week before I sell them. The 3 remaining are included.

Additional pictures attached.

- Rich

Attachments

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Very, very nice speakers Rich. They look like they're in mint condition. Hopefully they sell fast so you can get your upgrade.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I could have bought a pair of the Salons about 2 years ago from my local dealer. They came in on a trade in. He gave the guy 3k against Gamut speakers and I could have picked them up for $3600.00. Beautiful and great sounding speakers. If I only had the room and the money for them.

Grill off

RichB

RichB

^^^
I guess he lost strap :)

You have to lay the speaker on the side and use allen wrenches to remove the Salon/Studio/Voice main grills.

- Rich

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
^^^
I guess he lost strap :)

You have to lay the speaker on the side and use allen wrenches to remove the Salon/Studio/Voice main grills.

- Rich
I was there when they took them off. I wanted them so bad. Bought a BAT 500 amp instead, that's another story.

RichB

RichB

Updated and individual pricing:

These Revel Ultima 1's: Salons, Studios, and Voice all in perfect working order and in very good condition in a smoke free house and I am the original order (Purchased in 2001).

I am offering the whole system for $9,100 + shipping or best offer.

Individual Pricing (or best offer):

Salons: $6,500
Studios: $4,200
Voice: SOLD

PayPal is preferred.

- Rich

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Here is a Left Rear with the new tweeter installed.

LeftRearNoGrill.JPG

- Rich

RichB

RichB

All Sold.
I have the Voice2, Studio2's, but I am still waiting on the Salon2's.

- Rich

RichB

RichB

How do you like the Studio2s as compared to the Salon1s?
The Studio2's have a wonderful midrange and tweeter. Fantastic detail.
The Studio2 tweeter is kinder to marginal recordings and not as fatiquing. I had the Salon1's rear tweeters turned off for this reason.

However, the bass is not in the same league, especially when played at low level.
You hear the bass but it lacks the depth and force.

I find myself wanting to raise the volume on the Studios in search of more bass with 2 channel recordings(without a sub). I would not be happy with them without a subwoofer as I was with the Salons.

I never felt the need for loudness compensation with the Salons but I do with the Studio2's.

My room is 30 feet long and open on the side and rear and these are not enough speaker for it.
They will make excellent rears.

I would not be happy with the Studio2's to replace the Salons.

I have been using the Voice2 for a while now, and it was a better match with the Salons than the Voice1. Many TV shows, like Elementary, have the actors swallowing the MIC. The sibilants used to bother me with the Voice1 but don't with the Voice2.

- Rich

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think that you will also find that the Salon2 has "less bass" than the Salon1, even though it technically goes deeper. The Salon1s have more of a saddle-shaped response curve, so you get some inherent loudness compensation, which is actually unnatural compared to live acoustic instruments. That's the problem with really "flat" speakers; when you're used to listening to the typical bass and especially midbass emphasis most commercial speakers have, the 2s sound thin by comparison. I think that's why a few of my friends much prefer their B&Ws and Wilsons over the Salon2s; both have a bass emphasis I've measured and shown them. I remember one saying something to the effect of: "If that's accurate, then I don't want accurate."

RichB

RichB

Here are the Stereophile measurements of the Salon'1s and 2's:

Salon1.jpg
Salon2.jpg

I am not sure if these use comparable methodology, but it looks like the Salon1's (top) go deeper and the Salon 2's have a bump.

I am hoping for some room-gain :)

When I get them in house, I measure and post the results.

- Rich

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Here are the Stereophile measurements of the Salon'1s and 2's:

View attachment 16487 View attachment 16488 Here

I am not sure if these use comparable methodology, but it looks like the Salon1's (top) go deeper and the Salon 2's have a bump.

I am hoping for some room-gain :)

When I get them in house, I measure and post the results.

- Rich
The simulated anechoic plots don't paint the whole picture. Look at the waterfall graphs. In the Salon1 graph you'll see a much pronounced saddle shape at time zero (the top line on the graph), and that's what I've heard and measured in-room.

RichB

RichB

The simulated anechoic plots don't paint the whole picture. Look at the waterfall graphs. In the Salon1 graph you'll see a much pronounced saddle shape at time zero (the top line on the graph), and that's what I've heard and measured in-room.
Here are the Salon1 and Salon2 waterfalls:

Salon1Waterfall.jpg
Salon2Waterfall.jpg

Are these the righgt charts?

- Rich

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

The Salon2's are taking a dip below 400 hz faster than the Salon 1's.
The 2's look smoother and flatter in the mid and upper frequencies.

Do you use a sub for 2-channel?

- Rich

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Salon2's are taking a dip below 400 hz faster than the Salon 1's.
The 2's look smoother and flatter in the mid and upper frequencies.

Do you use a sub for 2-channel?

- Rich
I do, but not for bass augmentation, per se. I use one Velodyne DD18+ with the PEQs adjusted just to fill-in the dips in room response from the Salon2s, which are run full-range. (You can see from JA's in-room measurements of the Salon2 what happens in his smallish room. In my larger volume room, with the speakers about 4 feet from the back wall, I get a different sort of roughness.)

In reality, the DD18+ does extend the response below 25Hz, because in my current room there's a roll-off below that frequency. I'm moving the system soon to a different house, and I may need a different strategy.

S

scwlw

Enthusiast
Rich those new mids look more like salon 2 drivers, did you notice a difference in sound? I just picked up a used pair of salon1's and if revel is using the s2 drivers as replacements for old s1 speakers I kinda feel like I just won lotto:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis