FS: Graham Chartwell LS3/5A studio monitor loudspeaker

C

carl0

Junior Audioholic
Up for sale is a Graham Chartwell LS3/5A studio monitor loudspeaker. Effortless dynamics come as standard. In excellent working condition, greater clarity, more detail, a bigger soundstage and clearer bass. They work superbly and deliver absolutely clean music. Drivers are pretty much pristine. This is the "rosewood" version, The cabinets are in pretty good condition. No structural issues. From a smoke free environment, every part works as it should. All drivers are in perfect condition.

Asking price:USD$4500
If you are interested please contact me via PM or send email
carljson0 at gmail dot com

Thanks.

Attachments

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Do those still have the original KEF B110 woofer and T27 tweeter? Any updates to the crossover?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do those still have the original KEF B110 woofer and T27 tweeter? Any updates to the crossover?
No they can't have as production of the KEF drivers ceased in 1990.

However these speakers coming up for sale aroused my curiosity. Falcon acoustic now has replacements for the original KEF SP 1003 Bextrene driver and the Mylar KEF T 27 tweeter.

They have had Bextrene specifically produced again. This is the part of the story that blows my mind!

Here is the full story behind those Graham Chartwell speakers for sale.

I have a number of those original T 27 drivers in my possession. I used to use them to top out my Jordan Watts designs. Interestingly among full rangers the JW module did not have a rising HF response due to break up. I always ran the modules full range but gently supplemented them with the KEF T27 tweeters above 6 KHz. It worked very well indeed.

I don't have the SP1003, as I never really was able to use them successfully. As you can see from the pictures of the crossover they needed a lot of eq. In short they are hard to work with. These BBC monitors had among the most complex passive crossovers of all time. I just needed three components!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those appear to be vintage speakers, made well before 1990, and looking on PC rather than phone I can see the KEF SP1003 marking on the woofer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Those appear to be vintage speakers, made well before 1990, and looking on PC rather than phone I can see the KEF SP1003 marking on the woofer.
Well they can't be. This is the speaker in question. As far as can tell Graham Audio which has licensed the Chartwell from the BBC has only been around for at most 4 years. I find that the drivers are actually made by Volt also based in Devon. I think they are allowed to use the SP1003. The provenance of the tweeter is more murky and may be from SEAS.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The worn label, somewhat dingy look to the grilles, and 15Ω rating is what's throwing me off. I know they're expensive speakers but I wouldn't expect to see those characteristics even in late-model used ones. I know the current Falcon reintroduction is 15Ω, but as costly.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The worn label, somewhat dingy look to the grilles, and 15Ω rating is what's throwing me off. I know they're expensive speakers but I wouldn't expect to see those characteristics even in late-model used ones. I know the current Falcon reintroduction is 15Ω, but as costly.
I know that high impedance makes them aimed at the tube amp crowd. Since tube amps are a much higher impedance source this makes them more suitable. For solid state amps their 8 ohm power rating will be halved. Add that they are very insensitive.

I know for a fact that Raymond Cooke had a lot of input on these speakers, especially as they were the original manufacturers. He promulgated the impedance compensated crossover. That made sense for tubes, with those amps propensity to follow the impedance curve of a speaker. However these speakers have an impedance curve like the Alps.

So not the best for tubes or solid state.

Having said that a lot of us have heard those speakers, and they are pretty good especially for their day but not outstanding. The real issue is that these days with all the advantages we make a lot of speakers that are an awful lot worse and that is the disgrace.

I have to say though that even back in their heyday, I preferred my efforts though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis