FS: Ampex 601 vintage tape recorder, tube stereo monoblocks electronics, 1/2 track

T

Transducergeek

Enthusiast
A sale is now in process on the below Ampex, and pending conclusion, will advise...

For those who care for such things... Vintage Ampex Professional model 601 two channel stereo 1/2 track "portable" vacuum tube tape deck. Dual "MONOBLOCK" electronics chassis. This "suitcase" model was the favorite of early tape engineers for Location Recording work. Many early "live" radio and record sessions were done on this model machine. It was far more mobile than most other Ampex's (by about 75 pounds!) I obtained this example from the estate of an "old retired engineer" I knew here in Los Angeles. I have not powered it up. I am afraid to do so. Unused for many years, perhaps decades, The caps are old and may blow? It might work fine, I don't know. I will let a buyer check it out, you might be lucky, it might fire right up. This is for someone who will test or replace all the caps and such, and see that the deck is OK to apply power to. A tube guy, who knows his subject. The heads are all present, and seem little used, are Half Track configuration, wear degree not known accuarately, but seems rather little wear, most of life is left. 7 inch tape reels. I don't know the tape speed, (there seems to be only one speed) but I will presume it is 7.5 inches per second. For those guy's with a recording studio, this might be a way to obtain a pair of really good sounding authentic Vintage Valve Microphone Preamplifier's. Forget the deck, use the electronics. It has XLR mic inputs and probably has fantastic vintage classic transformers in the front end gain chain. Just an idea. Or put the Playback electronics to work on a more modern tape transport, and get that tube playback magic going.. Or some people are putting a tube line stage into their Hi-Fi system (between the CD player and preamp or between the Pre-amp and Power-amp) just to add the "tube effect" to the sound. This could be run Line in to Line out for that purpose. Anyway, I will offer this machine, due to age, as-is, to members of the Forum prior to listing on Ebay. For the amount of $500 US Federal Debt Units. This was not built for Homeowners it is designed for PRO use only, not a toy. Still has the Leather case with cover (behind in the photos) that snaps on to make it carry like a suitcase with the handle. I have the rubber reel hold-downs. $500, It likely will go for more on Ebay..

Attachments

Last edited:

mazz

Audiophyte
is the tape machine still available?

Transducergeek said:
A sale is now in process on the below Ampex, and pending conclusion, will advise...

For those who care for such things... Vintage Ampex Professional model 601 two channel stereo 1/2 track "portable" vacuum tube tape deck. Dual "MONOBLOCK" electronics chassis. This "suitcase" model was the favorite of early tape engineers for Location Recording work. Many early "live" radio and record sessions were done on this model machine. It was far more mobile than most other Ampex's (by about 75 pounds!) I obtained this example from the estate of an "old retired engineer" I knew here in Los Angeles. I have not powered it up. I am afraid to do so. Unused for many years, perhaps decades, The caps are old and may blow? It might work fine, I don't know. I will let a buyer check it out, you might be lucky, it might fire right up. This is for someone who will test or replace all the caps and such, and see that the deck is OK to apply power to. A tube guy, who knows his subject. The heads are all present, and seem little used, are Half Track configuration, wear degree not known accuarately, but seems rather little wear, most of life is left. 7 inch tape reels. I don't know the tape speed, (there seems to be only one speed) but I will presume it is 7.5 inches per second. For those guy's with a recording studio, this might be a way to obtain a pair of really good sounding authentic Vintage Valve Microphone Preamplifier's. Forget the deck, use the electronics. It has XLR mic inputs and probably has fantastic vintage classic transformers in the front end gain chain. Just an idea. Or put the Playback electronics to work on a more modern tape transport, and get that tube playback magic going.. Or some people are putting a tube line stage into their Hi-Fi system (between the CD player and preamp or between the Pre-amp and Power-amp) just to add the "tube effect" to the sound. This could be run Line in to Line out for that purpose. Anyway, I will offer this machine, due to age, as-is, to members of the Forum prior to listing on Ebay. For the amount of $500 US Federal Debt Units. This was not built for Homeowners it is designed for PRO use only, not a toy. Still has the Leather case with cover (behind in the photos) that snaps on to make it carry like a suitcase with the handle. I have the rubber reel hold-downs. $500, It likely will go for more on Ebay..
is the tape machine still available at $500?

B

Bharath777

Audiophyte
Ampex

Have you sold it yet ?
Im interested big time

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis