Fronts & sub to go with Mythos 7

T

Transitory

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my center channel, front speakers, and subwoofer. Unfortunately, my constraint on the center channel is space, since the TV is quite hemmed in. Based on the size restrictions, I'd like to go with the Mythos 7.

So, I'm then wondering what to put on the fronts and sub to go with it? I do about 70% movies and 30% music and the room is quite big. 40x20 feet or so, and the TV is placed on the center in the long room. It seems that the mythos 6 would pair, but I'm worried they're a bit underpowered given the size of the room. There's also the Mythos bipolar fronts, but I've also read they don't do so well unless they are close to the side wall. Any thoughts? Budget is $400-800 each.

As far as the sub, I'd love something much tighter than the one I have now. Budget is around $500-700.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So, just to be clear: you have about $2k budget for new 3.1 system for a HUGE room and your center couldn't be taller than 4" ?

T

Transitory

Audiophyte
Hah. Your incredulity isn't unwarranted. ;) Could I go higher than 4"? Possibly, but it would require raising the TV even higher, which is tough because even now it is a bit above eye level. At most I could go maybe 2-4 inches more. If there is a big enough gain to be had for that then I'm all ears.

As it is, the center doesn't need to be super powerful since the listening area is rather compact, despite the large room (the couch is some 6-7 feet from the TV). My preference for having a more powerful front set and sub is for the few times we play music and aren't sitting in the couch area.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
could you lower the TV and put larger center above the TV?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There just aren't any good center speakers that are less than 4" high. That would mean you are stuck with 3" woofers, and that would barely be adequate for a desktop PC setup. I would skip the center speaker and just use a phantom center via the front left/right. Get a good front left/right pair with wide dispersion. I would be looking at KEF Q bookshelf speakers or some Revel Concerta2 bookshelf speakers. For the subwoofer, I would be looking at a Hsu VTF3 mk5.

T

Transitory

Audiophyte
Unfortunately mounting above is impractical. The TV is on an up-and-over mount (when up, it sits on top of the mantle, when down, it swings over the mantle and down to eye level). It's 70" , so putting it above the TV would make it very high above ear level.

Now it doesn't have to be less than 4 inches. I could go to perhaps to 5-7 but this would require raising the TV even higher and redoing the mount (which is just added cost and makes the TV further up). It just has to be relatively slim. I'd love to stay in the current profile, however, hence the Mythos 7. I know it's not a 'great' center in terms of oomph, but consider for the last year I had the Yamaha NS-C310 and I liked it quite a bit. It has just gone wonky recently.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
but consider for the last year I had the Yamaha NS-C310 and I liked it quite a bit. It has just gone wonky recently.
Don't get offended, but it likely that C310 went "wonky" since you asked it to do impossible and it just gave up? If you keep unrealistic expectations from tiny speakers - Mythos 7 would go "wonky" soon just as well.
Why do I get the feeling that you could splurge on speakers a bit more than you're telling us....?
And If my gut feeling is right - some of these speakers will actually work for you (without "wonking")
http://www.sourcespeaker.com/PlasmaLCRlist.html

Keep in mind these are all 3 speakers in one box. All you'd need to add is (preferably) a pair of good subs designed to work in larger rooms such as yours.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2.html for example

T

Transitory

Audiophyte
I'm not sure how anyone can be offended by someone offering to help random internet strangers for free! I appreciate the honest feedback. Plus, I was being glib. My bad.

Yes, I most certainly broke them by cranking the volume. Lesson learned, but it was fun doing it :D I think I'll beat up my old Sony's when I need to turn things up too high rather than ruin my nice home theater speakers.

As far as the budget, no, I can't quite splurge to that level. Though it'd be nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis