Fronts connected to preout but denon avr-x4400h still produce same heat?

J

john20182050

Audioholic
I have denon avr-x4400h and parasound a21+. So I connected fronts(kef r11) via pre out in avr and via parasound. But I still see denon avr-x4400h produce same amount of heat. It looks like even though I connected fronts via pre out and only play stereo music with stereo channel option, denon avr-x4400h still doesn't turn off internal power amp. Am I missing some settings in the avr-x4400h? I don't see option in avr-x4400h to say just use pre out for fronts in my 7.2 setup. Please help me

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I have denon avr-x4400h and parasound a21+. So I connected fronts(kef r11) via pre out in avr and via parasound. But I still see denon avr-x4400h produce same amount of heat. It looks like even though I connected fronts via pre out and only play stereo music with stereo channel option, denon avr-x4400h still doesn't turn off internal power amp. Am I missing some settings in the avr-x4400h? I don't see option in avr-x4400h to say just use pre out for fronts in my 7.2 setup. Please help me
Even if you connect pre-outs for the front speakers for external amplification, all the AVR inboard amps are still powered. Even if you were using external amplification for all channels and setting the AVR to the preamp mode, the internal amps would still remain powered. There is no option for turning off power to the amps.

I suggest that you set the ECO mode on and that you get a couple of fans to put on top of your AVR-X4400H:

:

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The Marantz processors actually get pretty hot by themselves with all the computing power and other circuits in modern AVR/AVPs so make sure there is plenty of ventilation and/or active cooling. (Denon/Marantz are pretty much the same with very minor differences)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Is normal!

However, if you turn eco mode ON it will run much cooler and it will not restrict power to your main speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You can do it, but you have to first select the 11.1 layout and then select front to pre out.

Go to Speakers/Manual setup/Amp Assign and you should see the following:
After that you can reconfigure you speakers to 7.1 and your front left and right channels will remain assigned to Pre-out, that is, the internal amps (front left/right only) will remain disconnected.

1651330322123.jpeg

Doing it this way, the pre out for the two front channels will be disconnected from the internal front left and right power amps only. The other 7 pre outs will still be connected the corresponding internal power amps.

Note: As others mentioned, the internal amps will still be powered, only their inputs are disconnected from the pre outs. That is exactly the same even for the newer models that can run in full preamp mode.

The main reason to do this is so that you can push the A21+ to its output limit, and the pre out THD+N will remain very low, much lower than the A21's own THD+N. That is good on paper but won't likely result in audibly better sound quality because the Denon's internal amp's are just as good as the A21+ if used well within its output limit.

If you want the AVR to run cooler, you have to turn ECO on, auto will only work if you listen with the volume set to below a certain point, something like below -30, otherwise ECO set to auto will be the same as ECO off.

Just to disconnect the two internal amp won't reduce the heat by much, in fact even if you have the X4700H that allows you to use preamp mode, it will still not run much cooler if not for the fact that in preamp mode it automatically turn ECO on. With ECO on, the rail voltage will be much lower, that's what makes the unit to run cooler.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis