Front loaded horn sub as OB helper sub?

O

Oscar333

Audiophyte
After some playing around with hornresp a front loaded horn sub looks like it might have potential as an OB helper sub.

I have a pair of 10'' SLS-P830668

I tried sealed for the helper sub but didnt like it, it did not integrate well with the OB. Too closed in and restrained sounding compared to the OB, too much undesirable room interaction.
OB subs are ideal but it means a huge baffle and this has too many problems.

I have often heard BLHs being described as dynamic and open sounding,
but a FLH, like sealed and OB, will not have phase issues of the rear ported designs and that seems more appropiate.

The results from hornresp are the surprising part, when aiming for only modest ~50Hz extension the required front horn sizes are a lot smaller than expected, only around 1m.
Im modelling an untapered horn, as you can probably find some sort of piping in the appropiate diameter for this.

I havent found much discussion on FLH subs here (or at least anything explicitly described as a FLH) only on pro sound forums, is there some downsides I'm missing here?
Bandwidth too limited? Still feel like people would work around that if performance was good, like they work around OB limitations.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis