U

Unregistered

Im over there last night looking at TV's for my kids bedroom. Needless to say, at the age of 5 he is not much of an audiophile yet.

1) GRIPE ONE: Every other freakin step I got someone asking if I need help. If I needed help I would have either asked for it or at least looked at them!

2) GRIPE TWO: After about the 50th "Do you need assistance?" question I finally tell him I am looking for a TV. Before I can even tell him what it is for, he starts walking and talking (naturally to the LCD and plasma section) where the 48"+ section is. What is my kid going to do with a $4k television set?

3) GRIPE THREE: After he finally realizes that my 5 yr old is only going to get a 25" TV set he then pushes on the MONSTER XP optical mumbo jumbo cables for the low price of $59.99. Then came the speel on how great these wires are and are top of the line.

So I did what someone in my position should always do. I told him that sounded great and I would love to see the specs and comparisons to other (cheaper) brands. I told him that he MUST have a whole book of documentation and tests to support his 10 minutes of boasting. The look on his face was priceless. He tried to give me the "Monster" brochure (yeah, thats REAL independent tests!!). Anyway he turned his attention to someone else and I ended buying a little 25" Sony. Just like I had originally wanted to.

Bottom line: a 15 minute in and out turned into 1.5 hours of annoyance.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

That's one reason why I never buy any of that stuff at BB. If I want a commodity product (eg a cheap VCR, batteries, etc) I usually go to Sam's Club or Wally World. Or Ultimate Electronics (at my local UE, at least, the staff is cool and really low pressure, plus they might ask you about an extended warrenty, but they never ask twice). The only things I'll generally buy at BB are things with no potential to upsell (eg DVDs, game software).

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
My reaction to pushy salesmen...

Perhaps once a weekend, when I am bored, I will spend hours in a Circuity City or Best Buy hopping from salesman to saleman, baiting them to try their tactics on me. Of course, if they bite, I then start educating them on the actual relevance of specific features and functions of products and how they relate to actual performance on such things as digital camera technology and audio equipment. I mean, I will push myself unto them, to the point of annoyance. Just like they try to do! Kind of my response to the pushy sales tactics they have tried to use on me in the past. Fortunately, when I just want to go into one of these stores now it is rare that a salesman approaches me(they actuallly tend to head in the opposite direction -- I guess they remember me. hehe) unless they are 'new'. Yes, I am a jerk. :D I do not try to humiliate them--I don't want to give that impression. I geniunely try to inform them--to the point of annoyance. Despite my antics, I have managed to make 2 new friends(one in CC and one in BB).

-Chris

Unregistered said:
Im over there last night looking at TV's for my kids bedroom. Needless to say, at the age of 5 he is not much of an audiophile yet.

1) GRIPE ONE: Every other freakin step I got someone asking if I need help. If I needed help I would have either asked for it or at least looked at them!

2) GRIPE TWO: After about the 50th "Do you need assistance?" question I finally tell him I am looking for a TV. Before I can even tell him what it is for, he starts walking and talking (naturally to the LCD and plasma section) where the 48"+ section is. What is my kid going to do with a $4k television set?

3) GRIPE THREE: After he finally realizes that my 5 yr old is only going to get a 25" TV set he then pushes on the MONSTER XP optical mumbo jumbo cables for the low price of $59.99. Then came the speel on how great these wires are and are top of the line.

So I did what someone in my position should always do. I told him that sounded great and I would love to see the specs and comparisons to other (cheaper) brands. I told him that he MUST have a whole book of documentation and tests to support his 10 minutes of boasting. The look on his face was priceless. He tried to give me the "Monster" brochure (yeah, thats REAL independent tests!!). Anyway he turned his attention to someone else and I ended buying a little 25" Sony. Just like I had originally wanted to.

Bottom line: a 15 minute in and out turned into 1.5 hours of annoyance.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
^^^^^^^^^^^^
SOMEONE WITH WAY TO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS!

But, really, quite funny. I avoid the guys there like the plague as almost none really have enough experience with the product to grasp what they are talking about and just give you blank stares when you ask about information that actually might help you make the purchase.

Every now and then though - one will surprise you and be a serious audio or video phile.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Remember, they are people too, and they have a job to do. Most of them are paid on comission, not by the hour, so they are going to try and push the bigger-ticket stuff.

Paul

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Francious70 said:
Remember, they are people too, and they have a job to do. Most of them are paid on comission, not by the hour, so they are going to try and push the bigger-ticket stuff.

Paul
Neither Circuit City nor Best Buy currently use a commision-based payment system for sales people.

-Chris

D

Dweeb

Enthusiast
WmAx said:
Neither Circuit City nor Best Buy currently use a commision-based payment system for sales people.

-Chris
Thats true, i worked at CC for 2 years... Everyone there is now hourly except management. As far as dumb annoying sales people go. There are an abundance of them at CC... Out of everyone that works in a CC store, you would be hard pressed to find 2 people that actually know just a little about the products they sell. Its one of the worst places to shop and despite the fact that i worked there and enjoyed most of my time there.. I don't spend any money there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis