Fried my JVC RX-315... Repair or Replace?

F

ferocity02

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Wharefdale W60E loud speakers. Each one contains a small tweeter, a mid-range speaker, a 12" subwoofer, and a 3-way crossover. They were built a long time ago so I have little specs on them. The original subs in the boxes eventually fell apart, so I rebuilt the boxes and put in JL Audio 12w1v2-8 subwoofers, which I think are JL's low-line subs but they sound amazing. According to JL, the recommended power rating(RMS) for the these is 50W to about 300W, with "optimum" being around 130W.

For the past couple months I've been using an old JVC RX-315 receiver to power the speakers without trouble. The back of the receiver says 220W, and there are four outputs for speakers. I was only using two obviously. The other day I pushed the receiver a little too hard and within a couple seconds the sound flickered/crackled and finally died away. I took it apart and didn't smell or see anything burnt. However there were four resistors that were getting very hot even with just the receiver on and not playing any music. Around these resistors the circuit board was a little darker than normal from the heat. The receiver still turns on and operates as normal except no sound comes out. When the receiver was working, it would make a faint "click" right when you turned it on, and then a few seconds later another click and then sound would come out. Now, it doesn't click the second time. I'm not sure if that's any evidence of a key component that needs to be replaced.

Anyways... the local audio doctor assured me that it would be cheaper to buy another cheap used receiver instead of getting this one repaired. He suggested going with something "old and heavy" as it might be able to handle the power a little better. I have very little knowledge when it comes to stereo receivers so I have no idea what to look for. I don't want to spend more than $200 as it's going to be out in the dirty garage. I need something that will be able to power the subs without trouble. I also don't need 7.1 Dolby Surround, a remote, or plethora of inputs. Just something simple and powerful. Perhaps a receiver isn't what I need at all? I am going to use it to listen to the radio and play music from my iPod/computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I referred to this site from a friend so hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem.

Thanks!!!

F

ferocity02

Audiophyte
Anyone?

I was looking into maybe a cheapo receiver and then a power amp? Is this a more reasonable solution?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis