Freedom from HT bass management.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>While on the subject of subs, I decided to free myself from the chains of my HT amps bass management which is limited to sending out 90Hz signals to the sub out. To achieve this I connected both of my subs to the passive inputs and then attached my main speakers to the sub. My main speakers are of tower type and can go down to 35Hz but I set the subs crossovers to send them everything above 45Hz and letting the sub do the dirty work of moving air below 45Hz. This way, my main speakers mids and highs become much better as now, the woofers don't have the high cone movement necessary for frequencies below 45Hz. It also adds clarity to the whole sound spectrum. Also my main amps are now free to send signals above 45Hz to the towers.

To disable bass management on the DSP-AZ1, you just have to set the speakers at MAIN. This way all LFE signals are routed to your main speakers. Earlier I had the setting at BOTH where the sub as well as the towers got all the LFE signals. When I was using this, I had to set my subs crossovers at 55Hz but the bass was never in presence as it is now. My front subs are located in corners behind my main tower speakers. I also have a rear sub and have my rear speakers set to LARGE. My center speakers are the same as my towers with two 8&quot; woofers so I have them set to LARGE.

After having done this, the immediate effect was clarity and fantastic bass. No more boominess and the bass can now be felt rather than heard. Music has improved significantly and so has movies. Clarity and dynamics are way more improved.

Has anyone else tried this out? What are your experiences?
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>This method of using internal sub crossovers for HT bass management is a false methodology for improved sound.

It can only degrade the quality of sound potential. &nbsp;The digital bass management in the prepro is far superior to what is available in most subs. &nbsp;

Plus. you are only degrading the quality of the signal to the mains by first passing it through the sub.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>This method of using internal sub crossovers for HT bass management is a false methodology for improved sound.

It can only degrade the quality of sound potential.  The digital bass management in the prepro is far superior to what is available in most subs.  

Plus. you are only degrading the quality of the signal to the mains by first passing it through the sub.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>But very respectable sub and speaker companies, the likes of Vandersteen, Sonus Faber and REL recommend this method so I wonder who is wrong in this case.

There is a strong case to both sides.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis