Free, simple, PC eq programs?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I picked up a pair of used Sennheiser 280pro headphones for work. I spent days trying to pick a pair that has a relatively flat response but couldn't find anything like that in my price range. The response curve for the Senn's is:

I'd like to find a basic EQ program so I can flatten the response out on my laptop before it hits the cans. Any suggestions?

I always use iTunes as my media manager... does winamp or media monkey have good built in eqs?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I did.

I'd just like to find something a little more 'graphical' so I can more easily match up what I want.

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
I recommend a parametric equalizer or a 31 band EQ. Graphical EQ's with 10 bands suck. In my honest opinion, an EQ will just make them sound worse, Unless you want colored sound.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
You can't use the HeadRoom graphs to EQ successfully with any precision. The graphs are made on dummy head w/dummy ear and canal. The response you see is indicative of this total response. Due to the wavelengths involved, and their interactions with the ear and headphone pads, etc.; you can not use any of the measured data to apply specific corrections over about 2kHz. However, under 2kHz, should be pretty accurate. I should note: something looks wrong with this measurement. I am not aware of the HD280 having such a steep, dropping off bass response.

Now, you can make specific types of measurements to correct response over 2kHz; but this is a combination of measurements and must use a special (different) measurement jig to obtain actual driver/enclosure response; similar to making anechoic measurements of a speaker without room effect(s).

The only EQ you can safely do without special measurement/analysis is broad tonal changes, such as overall treble, or mid or bass.

-Chris

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis