Four pictures...one display?

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Goal is to watch four channels (sports events) on a projector at one time. Four seperate windows. Is there a way to do this? Multiple tuners??? Maybe through a PC?

Any Ideas?

Thanks
MLF

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Mr. Lamb Fries said:
Goal is to watch four channels (sports events) on a projector at one time. Four seperate windows. Is there a way to do this? Multiple tuners??? Maybe through a PC?

Any Ideas?

Thanks
MLF

Yes, 4 tuners for TV or sources to some sort of combiner but not sure what.

G

GarrettMaster1

Audioholic Intern
4 tv's at the same time--talk about multitasking

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
i googled video multiplex and found some security camera type multi thingys some combine 7 source on one screen. Vidcon was a company that came up. I lost interest at that point.

Hope that helps
Lung

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
ironlung said:
i googled video multiplex and found some security camera type multi thingys some combine 7 source on one screen. Vidcon was a company that came up. I lost interest at that point.

Hope that helps
Lung

I Innitially was thinking the same type configuration. security type display. My problem is I want to get the signal to a projector. and sent the display to a 100" screen.

Below is the conversation I had regarding this

So you’ve got four pictures from one source…Divided into four quadrants

Yes

-How do you select/change the channel on a specific quadrant? Each tuner manually changed?

Manually from each tuner. Through the PC most likely

-How does the source (projector) split the picture…send the signals to each quadrant?

Software on the workstation. The video would be one source on the projector. I am not sure if you saw any of the first round of march madness, but they had a good example of four pictures in one screen.

-Does your projector have his capability to split signals (kind of like PIP but 4 different pictures)? If not (I assume), you would need an external component to do this. Otherwise, it would be 4 signals, sent to one source, with either a source selector, or four signals overlaid on top of each other.

No, this would be handles on the computer with software.

-I am sure you could get (or have) software that could do this, and send a video signal to your projector from your computer.

Right

-Audio- How would you switch between the 4 signals? Unless you have it set to a master, or select between different inputs (i.e.…Video 1, video 2, CD, tape, TV, etc..). If it comes directly from your cable box, you would need a selector box that receives 4 different signals from 4 sources that will enable you to select the source audio (unless you just want one “master” audio source)

No worried about this quite yet. There is more engineering on this piece…

I would think there is an “all in one unit” that can do this. Costly and maybe an add-on to a media PC. The projector would just act as the monitor…displaying the signal sent to it. But you would need a component (or software) that could “direct” the signals to each specific quadrant. Then, have the ability to change the channels on each quadrant (if that is your intention). Even if you don’t need to change the channels, you would need to “set” the channel initially to something other than the default channel.

Right. I am still looking into other ideas. I found this one a few days ago. They mostly are in Australia and Europe. I would hold out for the PCI-E card if I did the internal PC thing.

Thanks for the input thus far.
Any thoughts on how to accomplish this would be appreciated!!!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Pick your poison - and have a wallet handy...
Besides a camera multiplexer, which is a very inexpensive way to do it with composite video only - but a very good price...
You can go with a fully HD/PC compatible solution from several vendors.
First up:
http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=mgp464
Next up:
http://www.crestron.com/products/show_products.asp?jump=1&type=residential&model=C2N-DVP4DI
Finally:
http://www.rgbspectrum.com - their quad view product.

All are HD compatible with component and can offer multiple configurations from multple sources on the fly - very cool - and about $7K+ each.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Thanks BMX...

Good stuff...A little (A LOT) out of the price range...but good stuff!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mr. Lamb Fries said:
Thanks for the input thus far.
Any thoughts on how to accomplish this would be appreciated!!!

Since you want 4 TV channel capability, you will need 4 tuners as a projector doesn't have any. Maybe 4 VCRs? Sent to one of those multiplexers mentioned as in a security but not sure if they do color, or just black and white, or only source limited. Then the 4 VCR would work and not expensive. But the picture quality would be poor, especially on a projector. So, for high quality pictures, you need high quality tuners, 4 of them.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Thanks MTYR- thats the approach (similar) we trying. Not sure if we will be satisfied for the Earl Shibe set-up, but we already have most of the equipment and think it might work. We really wanted it for March madness, but at this point, guess thats out of the question:( We'll keep messing around with it.

Right now we have 3-Tuners (PCI cards). Anyone know of a software program that could arrange them on a PC/laptop? Then we could sent the Video signal to the projector as one video signal. The audio would come from the cable box as the "master channel".

Thats where we're at right now. who knows if it will work or be acceptable.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
A color multiplexer is definitely the cheapest way to go... or 4 TVs which is also pretty darn simple.

I did a setup with a 65" television with 3 27" CRTs above it. They were all pretty high quality displays, but even cheap displays will give you good results... and probably a lot less headaches.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
A color multiplexer is definitely the cheapest way to go... or 4 TVs which is also pretty darn simple.

I did a setup with a 65" television with 3 27" CRTs above it. They were all pretty high quality displays, but even cheap displays will give you good results... and probably a lot less headaches.

Your probably right. The projector + 3 27" cable ready crt's, would be the easiest and least expensive way to go. When we started thinking of this, I thought it would be much easier. Seems like a little bit of a hassle now. Especially since march madness is almost over!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mr. Lamb Fries said:
Thanks MTYR- thats the approach (similar) we trying. Not sure if we will be satisfied for the Earl Shibe set-up, but we already have most of the equipment and think it might work. We really wanted it for March madness, but at this point, guess thats out of the question:( We'll keep messing around with it.

Not sure what that March madness is, not a sports fan if that is it, but, there is a March next year, hopefully:D Planning ahead is good.:D

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Not sure what that March madness is, not a sports fan if that is it, but, there is a March next year, hopefully:D Planning ahead is good.:D

March madness is the BIG college basketball tournament. I was looking for an easy fix...maybe with some sort of computer program. Ill keep looking into it!!! Hopefully I can get something done by next March:eek:

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Aren't the games being shown on the internet. Just open 4 windows, sign in with 4 different login names, and then use your projector as an external monitor?

Pc would run slow, but it might work, and it's cheap.:D

E

ELK

Audiophyte
No cheap fix here

To do this properly I would suggest that you use a quad view splitter such as the RGB Spectrum quad view. You would need to take a few tuners or source components and then add them into the quad view XL. This is a very expensive item so bbe prepared to drop 20k on this. There are other companies out there that make these. I haave one of the Quad View XL’s in my show room.

http://www.rgb.com/en/Products/ViewProduct.asp?product=QuadViewX

If you really want to step up go to the Jupiter control system. This is a computer based system.

Sorry I don’t know of any low cosst solutions, I am a commercial integrator

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis