Found this channel a bit ago and was wondering if anyone has experience with these?

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
Channel and vid in question;

Does anyone have any input on these speakers from experience or secondhand?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Danny is an interesting character, comes up with some weird audiophool stuff here and there, tho.....but some like his speakers or crossover mods. He did post some silly stuff about wires and measurements not long ago that made me just put him on "ignore"....

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
review of said speaker.

I agree with lovin: Danny is full of ****, though some of his speakers might be fine.

sizzam

sizzam

Audioholic
I see, My views on wires is that so long as they are of sufficient gauge/quality (not expensive but not 20 gauge rca wire either) and not corroded they will carry the signal fine, I noticed when stepping up from a 16 gauge wire to 14 (albeit it is copper clad aluminum wire in both instances) on my 20+ft long wire runs it retains more volume a little easier so I don't have much trouble level matching with the rest of the speakers in my system for instance. (or in car audio running 8 gauge wire to my 3 amps is fine so long as I calculate the distance to resistance properly)

Last edited:
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Full of " give me money" poop... The perfect audiophile channel... Some of his mods may be great, but it's a coin flip at best as far as if the mods are worth it.. Why pay $400 to upgrade a $300 pair of speakers... ???

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Does anyone have any input on these speakers from experience or secondhand?
In general, I agree with lovinthehd, Beave, and lp85253. His efforts to sell expensive crossover components as upgrades to his kits are questionable. They may earn him more money, but they earn my distrust. There is no evidence that these more expensive items add anything to the overall sound quality.

The mid-woofers that GR sells, the M-130 and M-165, are inexpensive and quite good. They have smooth frequency responses, and display no ugly or hard to manage traits. I believe the M-130 is in the A/V1 kit, and the M-165 is in the X-LS Encore kit. In general, I'd say that the tweeters in the GR Research kits are not nearly as good as the woofers.

I'm more familiar with the smaller M-130 woofer. The 2-way kit that GR Research sells, the A/V1 uses the same woofer, but with a tweeter that is unfortunately not as smooth as the M-130 woofer. I've used the M-130 to build several other small 2-way speakers, the Dennis Murphy-designed MB20 and MB27. They are both quite good, but the tweeter in the MB20 is no longer available. Their better tweeters and crossovers, in my opinion, significantly improve their sound.

This same M-130 woofer is also used in the better known Dennis Murphy designs, the MBOW1 2-way and MBOW1 3-way. They both use a much better tweeter, and have crossovers that are designed and function much better.

In the past, I learned that the M-130 was made by Peerless of India, and that GR Research had exclusive rights to sell it in the USA. I don't know if that is still the case today. I don't have first-hand experience with the larger M-165 woofer, but it looks good on paper. I believe it is also made by Peerless of India.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
I have a pair. They are respectable speakers, but the kit cost has gone up considerably (got mine just after the AV123 debacle, xl-s Encore with no-res lined cabs). Generally I would give them the thumbs up. Voiced a bit on the warm side, they are easy on the ears and don't tend to have glaring audible tells.

A formally similar but probably better executed competitor would be the Affordable Accuracy monitor.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis