For streaming music from computer: 3.5mm, USB, coax, or optical?

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
This question relates to a 2-channel only. I want to stream Spotify Premium from my home desktop. My preamp has 3.5mm, USB, coax, and opt inputs. Given the choice, does one method provide better sound than the others?

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd go with Optical, Coax, USB, 3.5mm in order of preference. Optical to guarantee RF insulation from the pc

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Optical is probably the best.
But I thought you were planning on an AVR purchase? Most of the new AVRs can stream Spotify and Pandora and Deezer and Tidal. Always best to double check on specific AVRs but my 2016 Yamahas do those 4. I use Pandora Plus because it is only $5/MO. Admittedly I’m curious about Tidal quality and if the prices on that are worth it but I haven’t tried it yet. I just wish there was a way to see the bandwidth in real time as it’s not clear if streaming inside the AVR is the best way or not.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I always get issues with optical connections cutting out so I personally prefer coaxial since I can simply use one of the million RCA cables I own.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Since this is Audioholics, digital is digital is digital (and I do not have, nor really want, any measurements that say otherwise). The only deciding factor should be durability as is alluded to by @lsiberian above.

That being said, coaxial used to be the connection of choice for CD players worth their mettle (AES/EBU even better). According to most reviewers, a CD player that "only" had optical (or, God forbid, no digital outs) was not "serious".

These days, I prefer USB because I enjoy DSD files (I'm weird like that) and USB is just about the only way to get full resolution of said DSD to a DAC, which my integrated amp has. For TV and streaming video, I use the optical inputs out of necessity as I do not like how flimsy the connections are.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Never had issues with half-ass decent optical cables. I don't play sports around them. Imho USB is the most complicated and likely to go wrong option here, but it is possible to get very quality audio using right external dac, and god knows I switched myself recently from optical to usb (Audioengine D1 to Behringer UMC404HD) - USB drivers could be bitch to install.
I expect sound quality should NOT drastically change with either option (assuming analog stage on PC is half decent)

Last edited:
Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Optical is probably the best.
But I thought you were planning on an AVR purchase? Most of the new AVRs can stream Spotify and Pandora and Deezer and Tidal. Always best to double check on specific AVRs but my 2016 Yamahas do those 4. I use Pandora Plus because it is only $5/MO. Admittedly I’m curious about Tidal quality and if the prices on that are worth it but I haven’t tried it yet. I just wish there was a way to see the bandwidth in real time as it’s not clear if streaming inside the AVR is the best way or not.
Thanks for the response. No, I was the one who was looking for a 2-channel receiver or separates, and some folks suggested that an AVR might offer a better value. I finally ended up purchasing a separate amp and a preamp.

For the streaming, I am waiting to try out Qobuz which is supposedly rolling out in the US in 2-3 months, I understand. The Spotify Premium is about $10.00 monthly, and I'll admit I have been surprised and impressed by the scope of the content. I'm much less impressed by the interface, however.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
I always get issues with optical connections cutting out so I personally prefer coaxial since I can simply use one of the million RCA cables I own.
Thanks. Interesting, I wonder why that happens with the optical? But just checking around, there are threads based on folks having this same problem. One poster said the problem was a codec issue.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Since this is Audioholics, digital is digital is digital (and I do not have, nor really want, any measurements that say otherwise). The only deciding factor should be durability as is alluded to by @lsiberian above.

That being said, coaxial used to be the connection of choice for CD players worth their mettle (AES/EBU even better). According to most reviewers, a CD player that "only" had optical (or, God forbid, no digital outs) was not "serious".

These days, I prefer USB because I enjoy DSD files (I'm weird like that) and USB is just about the only way to get full resolution of said DSD to a DAC, which my integrated amp has. For TV and streaming video, I use the optical inputs out of necessity as I do not like how flimsy the connections are.
Thanks. I was surprised to learn recently that 3.5mm cables can stream high res musical files. I was under to wrong impression that it was a low resolution type of connection.

The manual that came with my preamp said when using USB, the length should be no more than 3' and the cable should be "high quality." For some setups (like mine), 3 feet is not realistic.

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
Never had issues with half-ass decent optical cables. I don't play sports around them. Imho USB is the most complicated and likely to go wrong option here, but it is possible to get very quality audio using right external dac, and god knows I switched myself recently from optical to usb (Audioengine D1 to Behringer UMC404HD) - USB drivers could be bitch to install.
I expect sound quality should drastically change with either option (assuming analog stage on PC is half decent)
Thanks. I'm familiar with the Audioengine D1 but not the Behringer. Looked it up and I have no idea what it does. :) It looks very complicated, though. I'd like to try a DAC setup with my amp and have looked a some of the Schiit products...the Sys, the Lodi, and maybe the Bifrost DAC.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I'm familiar with the Audioengine D1 but not the Behringer. Looked it up and I have no idea what it does. :) It looks very complicated, though. I'd like to try a DAC setup with my amp and have looked a some of the Schiit products...the Sys, the Lodi, and maybe the Bifrost DAC.
UMC404HD is also usb dac [24/192], but it's also does bunch of other things, like ADC, headphones amp, 4 channel pre-amp, 48v phantom power microphone input and balanced speakers support. This last feature is what I cared about most. Having a separate volume controls for speakers and headphones is also very useful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis