For info on Projectors...

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
Heres a great site to check out for any and all questions to do with projectors such as:

- LCD or DLP
- What is Screendoor effect
- What is SVGA? VGA?
- What is contrast ratio
- What kind of lumen brightness rating should I look for?
- Reviews of certain models
- Tech articles

www.projectorcentral.com

I found it while doing some research, answered many of my questions.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Never heard of it... looks like it may be decent.

;)

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
I bought my projector 18 month ago from Softmagic
( http://www.softmagic.ca/ ) X1 Infocus. The are
base in Montreal, no provincial taxe if you purchase
outside Quebec, quick delivery and good price.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Peppy said:
I bought my projector 18 month ago from Softmagic
( http://www.softmagic.ca/ ) X1 Infocus. The are
base in Montreal, no provincial taxe if you purchase
outside Quebec, quick delivery and good price.
Peppy - Go look at www.projectorcentral.com

Most people don't need sites that SELL projectors. That is not what projector central is about. They are about providing consumer reporting information on projectors, especially home theater projectors. They are an informational site, not a SALES site.

The site you listed sucks. There is very little information on the site about the projectors they are selling, there are no clear categories that distinguish home theater projectors from business grade projectors - and there IS a clear difference. More accurately, they don't even carry any home theater projectors... What's the deal with that?

There are tons - and TONS of online etailers that do a much better job of providing information about projectors and have a much deeper bag of projectors to choose from, especially in the home theater market. But, going from a very helpful site like Projector Central to a poor sales site like the one you listed is not really cool.

Once again, look at the site you listed, then go to www.projectorcentral.com and compare the two. They pretty much don't.

:)

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
Your right BMXTRIX, but hey, don't try to ripe my head off ! I been reading many of your thread and I have allots of respect for what you know and the good advice you give in this forum.

The projector central web page is great site and have much better info that softmagic web page I suggest. But your "Most people don't need sites that SELL projectors" might be right were you are; probably in the USA; but her in Canada " Most people don't have a choose to look at sites that SELL projectors " And yes your right again when you said "There are tons - and TONS of online etailers" but many of them don't sell outside the US border(that changing slowly) So unless some one is shopping in a big city like, Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal the market for projector is almost zero. Event in these big city it's hard to fine more that 3 or 4 different model at the same place and these place usually sell only top of the line projector that price are over $10k.

I don't know why, but most of these shop have a big price difference with the US; I find often compare product price in the US market and Can market and you can add the exchange rate to the US price plus add a extras 40% to up 50%. The X1 infocus I purchase is a good example. I found that model in 3 different city with less that 3 hours drive from Kingston. Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa, the price of the last 2 was over $2K and in Toronto it was $1,500. Softmagic price was $1199 free shipping and no provincial tax and no driving expense. Crashguy is from Sask, Canada; I past 4 year in the west when I was in the Canadian arms forces, and I be really surprise if Crashguy saw many projector demo around his place, and he probably doing just like me. Read many magazine, find review in the internet and ask question in web forum hopping to fine some one who know is stuff when we have question....some one like you BMXTRIX.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sorry - didn't want to sound like I was going off on you, but unasked for references to stores is more like spam than helpful information.

I think there are a lot of good online retailers that deserve attention, but websites that actually provide solid information like projector central are few and far between.

I think if someone is looking to buy a projector they should ask about where they should look or maybe people can provide a list of good etailers/stores they have been to. Obviously you are happy where you shopped, but it just seemed a little spammish/hijacking to me. No offense was meant.

The problems of stores not showing projectors is hardly limited to Canada or any other country I imagine. The setup requires large rooms and screens and nice setups. The chain stores won't do setups becaues of expense and the boutique shops have financial issues. So, even in the Washington DC area of the US, we have very few projection systems that are available on display.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis