For fans of space rock

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
For those of you who also enjoy Ozric Tentacles and Quarkspace, you may also want to check out Hidria Spacefolk. There's a complete EP available for download at their website, at this link:

http://www.hidriaspacefolk.st/

Cheers,
Demetrio.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, this is some good stuff. I don't how I'd classify it, but the music is good stuff, and the recording is top notch! I think I have a whole new genre to shop for now...

algernon

algernon

Audioholic
I just thought I'd give it a listen, but I "spaced out" :eek: for an hour listening to all of it. Great music, it seems they have taken from a huge number of influences, yet created something very original. Thanks for the tip, one chiclet for you:)

So...I'm not that familiar with space rock, did Tangerine Dream kind of start off the genre?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Space Rock is essentially an offshoot of the whole Prog Rock genre. In fact, it's hard to definitively describe what the difference is between Prog, Space, Acid rock, and what is now sometimes referred to as stoner rock.

My thought is that one of the progenitors of this music was the band called Hawkwind. There were a lot of science fiction themes in their songs and they even collaborated closely with sci-fi writer Michael Moorcock.

Thanks for the link. This stuff is great!

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Thumbs Up here as well. Definitely will check these guys out some more.

Thanks Again Progger58

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
algernon said:
I just thought I'd give it a listen, but I "spaced out" :eek: for an hour listening to all of it. Great music, it seems they have taken from a huge number of influences, yet created something very original. Thanks for the tip, one chiclet for you:)
I'm glad to know you liked this stuff. :)

You might also want to check these out in the future:

- PORCUPINE TREE
- OZRIC TENTACLES
- QUARKSPACE

algernon said:
So...I'm not that familiar with space rock, did Tangerine Dream kind of start off the genre?
I don't think so. Tangerine Dream is more sort of eletronica stuff, not space rock. I think bands like Pink Floyd, Hawkwind and Gong can be credited as some of the starters of this genre.

Cheers,
Demetrio.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Demetrio,

I noticed your from Brazil and was wondering if there is a big fan base for progressive rock their ? If im not mistaken Rush has an enormous fan base their.

I have met some very passionate music fans (borderline fanatics) from Brazil especially when it comes to early punk rock such as the Ramones, Husker Du, Dead Kennedys and such. I remember going to high school with a guy who's life revolved around the Ramones. It was great. In fact he was my first introduction to them.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Glenn

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
anamorphic96 said:
Demetrio,
I noticed your from Brazil and was wondering if there is a big fan base for progressive rock their ? If im not mistaken Rush has an enormous fan base their.
Hi, Glenn,

There's a huge amount a progressive rock & Rush fans here in South America indeed (Brazil, Argentina & Chile especially).

I can't say anything about the punk rock scene over here though, since I am not a fan of this genre myself. ;)

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

E

eric0531

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the heads up on Hidria Spacefolk, I'm downloading the EP songs now.

Somebody else mentioned Porcupine Tree, their early work is some excellent space rock. I just picked up a copy of the remastered "The Sky Moves Sideways", and it is very, very good. Their more recent stuff is less space, more metal, but still excellent. In Absentia and Deadwing, their two most recent releases. both also come in superb multi-channel mixes on DVD-A discs that include a DTS mix playable on any DTS-compatible DVD player.

I don't know if I'd toss Tangerine Dream into the "space rock" genre, but they sort of flirt with the edges of it. Anybody who likes them should check out the Tangerine Tree releases, mostly live shows that are very nicely remastered, put together by fans. The latest tree #7 takes them up to volume 71, so there's a lot of good material, and it is all distributed as lossless shn files.

Trees 1 through 6 are still available for FTP download at ftp.airstreamcomm.net using anonymous login. The new Tree #7 is up at tt.rondua.de, also using anonymous login. Some of these volumes also turn up on some of the bit torrent sites like dimeadozen if you prefer that method of distribution. Summaries of each volume of trees 1 - 6 can be found at http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/ under Records -> Fan Releases.

maximoiglesias

maximoiglesias

Audioholic
anamorphic96 said:
Demetrio,

I have met some very passionate music fans (borderline fanatics) from Brazil especially when it comes to early punk rock such as the Ramones, Husker Du, Dead Kennedys and such. I remember going to high school with a guy who's life revolved around the Ramones. It was great. In fact he was my first introduction to them.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers,
Glenn
Here in Dominican Republic (2nd largest island in the Caribbean) there are many fans of prog rock

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
Like Eric0531 said well, Porcupine Tree has some awesome stuff in this same vein. Their recent DVD-Audio versions of In Absentia and Deadwing are brilliant indeed.

For fans of space rock, I would highly recommend these:

PORCUPINE TREE
- The Sky Moves Sideways
- Voyage 34: The Complete Trip
- Signify
- Stupid Dream
- Lightbulb Sun
- In Absentia
- Deadwing

OZRIC TENTACLES
- Pungent Effulgent
- Erpland
- Jurassic Shift
- Curious Corn
- Waterall Cities
- Become the Other
- Spirals in Hyperspace

ELECTRIC ORANGE
- Electric Orange
- Orange Commutation

QUARKSPACE
- Spacefolds 6
- Spacefolds 7

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
I think Porcupine Tree is on my DTS Demo Disc I have, not too shabby, had never heard them before

Progger58

Progger58

Junior Audioholic
Spiffyfast said:
I think Porcupine Tree is on my DTS Demo Disc I have, not too shabby, had never heard them before
If the one you are talking about is the B&W 800 Series demo DVD, there's a track by Porcupine Tree on it indeed ("Blackest Eyes", from their DVD-A version of the album In Absentia).

Cheers,
Demetrio.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
no, its DTS Demo Disc #9, just checked on ebay, its def. Porcupine Tree, I'm going to have to look into getting some dvd music discs, the sound is really neat.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis